ammo, holsters etc around the house - Page 2

ammo, holsters etc around the house

This is a discussion on ammo, holsters etc around the house within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by whitestone Anything gun-related is a dead giveaway (catalogues, bumper stickers on the wall, reloading equipment). If a thief can find that, it ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whitestone View Post
    Anything gun-related is a dead giveaway (catalogues, bumper stickers on the wall, reloading equipment). If a thief can find that, it will convince him to stick around and look in the obvious places for a few more minutes with a purpose. More than likely he'll find a gun there.

A good episode of the semi-reality show It Takes A Thief showed the thief first finding a holster and then looking for and finding the homeowner's Glock within a matter of minutes. Another showed an LEO getting all his uniforms stolen because they were simply hanging in the closet. The thief knew the cabinet attached to the closet wall contained guns as a result of the uniforms and simply ripped the whole thing out, taking the LEO's battle rifle and other handguns with him. The guys on the show are reformed pros, but even a methbrain can put that together.
    The guys on that show also demonstrate the destructive nature of thieves. They're not going to paw every drawer, they rip out the drawer and throw everything around when they ransack the house. It's not their house or their stuff, they couldn't care less how the place looks as long as they get in and out quickly.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    LOL, Your paying a hell of a lot more than they are really worth. I won't go into detail on why/how/where they are weak, but they are. I use mine for child protection and fire protection.
    What a coincidence. I was doing research on "safe cracking" , I turned on the tv and on Myth Busters , they're seeing if they can crack safes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    As well as the boxes and cases that the guns came in from the gun store.
    I thought of this too , but forgot to put it in my post. thanks.. thats a biggn.....

Most gun safes are really just gun lockers, and i saw a website where people breached a "safe" with a sledge hammer and 10 minutes. 12 gauge steel will keep out kids and smash and grabs, but anyone that wants to get in there, will.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    My safe is to keep honest people honest, my cleaner and party guests...

I don't hide the 'signs', there are too many. Like I said, just keeping honest people honest, and inquisitive kids alive...
    That's what mine is for. If they're going to steal it, they're going to steal it. That's what stolen item reports are for, you make one and you're no longer responsible for what's done with them. Mine is to keep kids alive and to keep people away from the guns in general, not criminal-proof. I also have a fire safe for things like birth certificates, etc. that have no gun stuff in it. My boxes of ammo, hearing protection, gun cases, etc. are around the safe as well. Might be an advertisement, but they're going to see it eventually if they're looking for stuff.

On the other hand, they might hightail it out of there quicker because if the owner of the house has guns, they might have guns on them, too. And a thief never knows when the cops or the owner themselves is going to come home.

Cheers.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms; history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected people to carry arms have prepared their own fall." Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    You have a good point.

I can't worry about that so much right now since my gun safe is in the kitchen of my current house. I think a burgler would probably spot that one pretty quickly...

Just cover the safe with refrigerator magnets and art drawings the kids did in school and the thiefs won't know the difference.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Just cover the safe with refrigerator magnets and art drawings the kids did in school and the thiefs won't know the difference.
    I thought thieves always looked in the fridge? Maybe it's an urban myth but don't a lot of people hide cash there?

My guns are insured... The Safe is for peace of mind! and Fire Protection!

It may keep the average crack head out, but if my guns are stolen or the entire 2,000 pound safe bolted to the floor, for that matter... I can at least prove to any LEO, (federal or otherwise), that I went to extraordinary expense and did everything in my power to keep my guns safe from those who should not have them.

I have had one gun stolen about 25 years ago. I still wonder to this day if someday it won't turn up in a crime or homicide. That's when I learned my lesson to never loan a gun to anyone!

I was planning on selling it and one of my ambulance partners was interested in buying it so I loaned it to him for a week to try out. After 10 days, he walked in, quit his job, left the state owing land lord 3 months back rent and stole all of RENCO's rented appliances. (TV, washer, dryer, refrigerator, stove) and left with my gun, of course.

The police (K.C.MO.) refused to take a stolen firearm report because technically "I Loaned" him my gun. I explained that he left the state, stole all of REMCO's appliances and left owing money. The cop just laughed and said... "Hey, I'd loan you my car, my dog, my boat or my wife... but I'll never loan you my gun."

I was hot... didn't think his story was funny. So I went to another police station in a different precinct and again, they refused to take a stolen gun report. The cop there told me if it ever came back on me to just explain the story to the investigating LEO at that time.

I was never comfortable with that advice and to this day I frequently worry about "What If" that gun comes back on me.
    Last edited by Bark'n; June 11th, 2007 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Typo's
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    This topic had been discussed here before. In the other thread someone mentioned that hiding is often as good as securing. They also mentioned false walls in the closet and other hiding places as well.

I don't know about you, but I am on a "kid" budget not a "bachelor" budget. Now I would love to have that 1000 dollar Readhead safe, but it just ain't in the cards at this point in my life. I have been doing some remodeling here around the house and have made plans to reserve some room for a hidden space within a wall. This space will be used to hide my long guns. My hand guns still go in a smaller safe I have. I haven't worked out how to hide all the seams yet. It's still a work in progress.

I think this a good way for those of us on a budget to hide all of your stuff and keep it out of sight without blowing a mortgage payment.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I don't have a safe yet. Right now I turned a closet in the hallway into my "gun" closet. My daughter, mom, and sister are coming to visit at the end of the month so I put a key lock on it this weekend to keep things locked up while they are here. I try to keep everything in there other than the gun I have on me at the time. I know that won't stop a thief though so I'll be getting a real gun safe hopefully in the near future.
    USA Carry - Concealed Carry Information, Reciprocity Maps, News & Articles, Forums, Directory and more!

Quote Originally Posted by kahman View Post
    I don't have a safe yet. Right now I turned a closet in the hallway into my "gun" closet.
    My daughter, mom, and sister are coming to visit at the end of the month so I put a key lock on it this weekend to keep things locked up while they are here.
    That is a lot better than how some people act in the same situation, just because you don't have a safe doesn't mean you have to just leave stuff laying around.
    Your improvised security closet is right in line with my concept of keeping honest people honest, and keeping kids safe.

Thanks. Normally it is just myself and my roommate but I still don't leave things lying around. I trust him, I've known him for over 10 years so I just gave him a key in case he needs to get in there. But I've talked him into getting his own gun soon, hehe.
    USA Carry - Concealed Carry Information, Reciprocity Maps, News & Articles, Forums, Directory and more!

Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    ...I have been doing some remodeling here around the house and have made plans to reserve some room for a hidden space within a wall. This space will be used to hide my long guns. My hand guns still go in a smaller safe I have. I haven't worked out how to hide all the seams yet. It's still a work in progress.

I think this a good way for those of us on a budget to hide all of your stuff and keep it out of sight without blowing a mortgage payment.

First thing... the use of paneling is great method of hiding seams and creating hidden doors in walls.

Second. If you have a friend who is a magician who builds his own illusions, you're in luck. He can be very helpful. I have a friend I grew up with who is an illusionist and has built his whole house with a few secret rooms. He had the building inspector scratch his head a few times when reviewing his blue prints... he just said, It's a closet and directed his attention elsewhere. LMAO.

Also there are a few books out on the market regarding this issue... one of them can be found at the below link.

http://www.paladin-press.com/detail.aspx?ID=1374

Here are a few other sites. http://www.hideadoor.com/

http://nichedoors.com/home.html

http://www.woodmeister.com/File/Hidden_Rooms.pdf

Even if you don't use these products, you can get some creative ideas from them.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Bark'n; June 11th, 2007 at 01:40 AM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Put in a dummy safe full of concrete in a oblvious place.

VIP Member
    I've about decided its just as good or better to come up with clever places to hide things rather than use a safe. I have a fire safe for some things.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links