Empty Holster Tells A Story... - Page 3

Empty Holster Tells A Story...

This is a discussion on Empty Holster Tells A Story... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 0.02 If an employer provides a company car they can dictate that firearms are prohibited in that vehicle, or any vehicle (rental) ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    If an employer provides a company car they can dictate that firearms are prohibited in that vehicle, or any vehicle (rental) used by that employee while on company business.

I've read those exact words. Not willing to name the company. I am self-employed BTW.
    I'd call that questionable. If I rent a car, I pay for it and get reimbursed, it is therefore my lease and considered part of my home. The rental car company can't even tell you no guns, just like a hotel can't.
    The company may be able to tell me I can't carry in their car or store a gun in their car just like a person can tell someone not to carry in their car. BUT, since the car is in my direct control, I would argue that it is also a part of a my home, just as a rental car was. You would never get the chance to argue this because OK is an At Will employment state, they don't have to give you a reason for firing you.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Sadly, that isn't true. That is what the law says, but it is tied up in court and an injunction is in place which allows people to restrict the ability to carry in their parking lot. However, the state is not allowed to say that you can't leave a gun in your car on their property. Regardless, the VA is a federal government entity, and thus the state of Oklahoma does not have the ability to force them to do anything.
    E4, this was changed recently, sort of. The Conoco-Phillips thing was resolved by the changes to the SDA law that removes the companies liability for anything those stored firearms are used for.
    Section TITLE 21 § 1289.7 of the 2004/5 law was amended to TITLE 21 § 1289.7a in 2006 that added the new liability section. A new injunction has not been ordered on the amended law.

HOWEVER, In Oklahoma, a company can fire you for any reason, if they want you gone, they will just fire you. Nothing the SDA law can do about that.

Several good things come from putting the parking lot/structure rules in place:
    1. Its in the SDA law so municipalities, cities, counties cannot make laws against it due to preemption.
    2. Its NOT against the law, you can't be arrested for it, they can still fire you though (see above.)
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Seems to me that anyone fired from at will employment in Oklahoma and can prove the reason for termination was the possesion of a firearm in his vehicle parked on company property has been fired illegally and would be collecting damages.

B No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall be permitted to establish any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person, except a convicted felon, from transporting and storing firearms in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for any
    vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    Seems to me that anyone fired from at will employment in Oklahoma and can prove the reason for termination was the possesion of a firearm in his vehicle parked on company property has been fired illegally and would be collecting damages.
    Yeah, but you would have to be able to prove it.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Quote Originally Posted by Protect View Post
    Yeah, but you would have to be able to prove it.
    scott must live near ok city side and the 11 county ban doesn't apply to him.

also "right to work" "right to fire" kinda counter productive don't you think?

i can go to your parking lot and carry even in your place of business if not posted , yet you as an employee can't . isn't that nice of em' ?

i would put the little "lol" here but it ain't funny .

anyway the OFASTS is this weekend and only 50 miles from me so maybe see ya there .

stay safe
    elance

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    We have that same kind of sings down at my VAMC. I asked what was the protocol to secure my firearm, and they told me bring it to the Desk Sgt to lock it up. Just go in to the Security Office and ask to speak with the man in charge; if he says no, file a complaint - there are some VAMCs that let you store your firearm and some that don't (you are not being treated like the rest of the people that store firearms on other VAMCs).
    It sounds like it's a local VAMC policy as to how they handle (or don't handle) storage of personal firearms.

I'll talk to the Security folks during my next visit, but I'm sure they wouldn't be supportive of a suggestion that the task of storing private firearms be added to their already taxing workload...heh. But if many people did so, we could become the squeaky wheel that needs attention!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

not a VET but I do go to the VA hospital.

I am not a vet but I do business at them as a "vendor" for a very large health care company.

The VA in Marion Indiana has the police post right on the main drive and there is a blue sign that says no gun/handgun. and something that they must be checked and cannot go past the police post.

The VA in Fort Wayne Indiana has a different campus setup and I did not see any signs like that there or police post to check/lock up a pistol.

The VA in marion parking on the street is not an option since the campus is so large, but in fort wayne I think you can park on the street or in the parking lot for Parkview hospital.

I just hope I don't have to go back to one soon. I don't want to deal with checking my pistol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links