Empty Holster Tells A Story...

This is a discussion on Empty Holster Tells A Story... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being a disabled vet, I spend a fair amount of time at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC) in Minneapolis. They are extremely strict regarding ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Empty Holster Tells A Story...

Being a disabled vet, I spend a fair amount of time at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC) in Minneapolis. They are extremely strict regarding firearms, having prominent signs where you drive in, stating that they are prohibited, even in a vehicle in the parking lot, let alone within the center.

Given what's at stake for me were I ever busted, I comply to the letter of their ridiculous ban. It is not a situation where I could risk taking a "concealed means concealed" approach to the issue.

So last Friday I'm there for a dreaded appointment at oral surgery. As I walk down the hall, I see a patient about to leave a room, walking about with an empty holster on his hip. No problem, right? But, as I thought a bit about it, the empty holster seemed to tell the story that he had left his pistol out in the car, in the parking lot...not too discreet for sure!

Since I noticed it, I'm thinking that the VA cop who dutifully sits at the front door could easily see it and likely through experience and training know the full story. I hope that wasn't the case, since were he to accompany the patient to his vehicle it would have ruined that patient's whole day.
    Last edited by JimmyC4; June 10th, 2007 at 02:45 AM.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    So last Friday I'm there for a dreaded appointment at oral surgery. As I walk down the hall, I see a patient about to leave a room, walking about with an empty holster on his hip. No problem, right? But, as I thought a bit about it, the empty holster seemed to tell the story that he had left his pistol out in the car, in the parking lot...not too discreet for sure!
    He may have done what I did the last time I had to drive to the VA hospital in Big Spring for some evaluation. I parked on a street just off their grounds behind the VA hospital, locked my gun in the toolbox of my pickup and walked around to the entrance of the building.

Administrator

Question

That makes perfect sense to me. You can pick up arms to defend your country. Get disabled in the process and then not be trusted to be armed back in the U.S. on the V.A. Hospital property.
    Gee I can't find anything wrong with that reasoning.
    I could understand how they would not want folks walking around inside any hospital armed.
    At least there should be a safe and secure place on the premises where you could check your firearm.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Did you see the movie "Serenity"? There's a scene where the ship's crew goes into a bar, and there's a ferris-wheel-like contraption with receptacles where they deposit their guns, and then they withdraw a key, kind of like those lockers at ski lodges, water parks and bus stations.

If I were going to use one of them in a place where it's designated for checking guns, I'd want some sort of legal guarantee that my gun will be there, and in the same exact condition, when I come to pick it up. Plus, there's the issue of whether you'd have to disarm in view of others, or if there would be a discreet room not necessarily labeled "Here's where the gun carriers go to come out either defenseless or armed, you figure it out."

The statement of an empty holster to me is "I am missing something in my life, it was taken away from me". But that is me, from my stance as a 2A supporter. But what you said is also very true. I like the idea of an empty holster as a statement or conversation starter, but boy - you had best make sure everything else is within the law!
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Jimmy, Not to worry. They wouldn't keep you from carrying if they didn't know that BG's don't prey on the disabled.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I live in OK and I am pretty sure that no one can restrict you from haveing your gun in your car, I know for a fact that private business can not, and I'm pretty sure not even state government can restrict you. I'm guessing this is not true in every state? As one gentalman said, just park off the property and then you can keep it in your car, though I agree, why restrict it at all?

Scott

I go to the VA hospital here in Dallas.They don't have a 30.06 sign anywhere around the front doors,I've looked,but I still don't carry.I leave mine locked up out in the truck,no signs saying you can't.Its kind of funny,we fought for this country and goverment but they don't trust us to carry.Come to think of it,the way they treat some of us just might drive someone over the edge,but I hope it never happens. sj

If...

I take off my weapon, I just unclip the holster too...no visible sign of a gun...past or present...and the holster is back protecting the gun like it is supposed to do...

OMO

Stay armed...if you can...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VA are federal property/institutions aren't they?
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    VA are federal property/institutions aren't they?
    Yes, VA Medical Centers are federal property. They are governed by federal law. State weapons permits and laws (including state-mandated signage requirements (30.06, etc.)) are irrelevant on federal property. That includes state laws prohibiting property owners from banning firearms in their parking lots.

DJ

AZ law states they must provide safe on site storage. Since I don'tuse the VA, and wouldn't here, I don't know how well they enforce that in Tucson. I do know they actually have thier own police department.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

It is possible that the VA cop saw the holster and figured it out just as you did but, being a genuine good guy, didn't make a fuss about it because the guy didn't bring it in the building.

There are plenty of us out there, guys just like us who know the score and figure they aren't going to make trouble for someone on the same side of the fence.

But, I would have removed the holster too, just in case.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by scott4957 View Post
    I live in OK and I am pretty sure that no one can restrict you from haveing your gun in your car, I know for a fact that private business can not, and I'm pretty sure not even state government can restrict you.

Scott
    If an employer provides a company car they can dictate that firearms are prohibited in that vehicle, or any vehicle (rental) used by that employee while on company business.

I've read those exact words. Not willing to name the company. I am self-employed BTW.

The VA clinic here is in the same building as the Fed courthouse. Couple of years ago there was an incident in which a psychiatric patient had some "issues" and attacked staff and visitors.

Those visitors had no means of protecting themselves-except wait for the security officer to respond.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links