Anybody in Lubbock, Texas...

This is a discussion on Anybody in Lubbock, Texas... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody in Lubbock, Texas, have any information on the shooting that happened there Fiday night/Saturday morning when a homeowner shot a man who he found ...

Thread: Anybody in Lubbock, Texas...

Anybody in Lubbock, Texas, have any information on the shooting that happened there Fiday night/Saturday morning when a homeowner shot a man who he found in his home ?

At church this morning, there was an announcement made that one of the member's grandsons had been shot and killed in Lubbock when he tried to enter a friend's home.

If it is the same incident, I'm guessing that the folks here have not been given the entire story yet.

Would appreciate any information the Lubbock posters on the board might have. If you can find out the name of the man who was shot, could you PM it to me ?

This is what I have been able to find out so far from the KCBD TV site, and it is very vague:

Homeowner Kills Home Invasion Suspect

A home invasion suspect is dead, after being shot in the stomach by the homeowner.

Police say the homeowner confronted a man who broke into his home around 3:45 Saturday morning in the 3000 block of 24th street.

The homeowner allegedly asked the man to leave several times before shooting the suspect in the stomach.

The suspect was taken to UMC.

He died Saturday afternoon.

Thanks,
    Last edited by DaveT; June 10th, 2007 at 01:38 PM.

I was on duty until 3am in that beat, and did not hear anything, but I'll post if I find out anything

Quote Originally Posted by evratcli View Post
    I was on duty until 3am in that beat, and did not hear anything, but I'll post if I find out anything
    Thanks.

Intruder shot by homeowner, police say
    BY robin pyle
    AVALANCHE-JOURNAL

A Lubbock homeowner shot and killed an apparent home invader Saturday morning, according to police.

An alarm went off at about 3:45 a.m. inside a residence on the 3000 block of 24th Street.

Subsequently, the homeowner, 43-year-old Charles Mire, armed himself with a handgun and confronted an intruder in his living room, according to a Lubbock Police report.

Mire told authorities he warned the intruder several times to surrender, reports indicate. He then fired a warning shot into the ceiling above the intruder's head.

The alleged intruder, whose name has not yet been released, still refused.

The homeowner then shot the intruder once and called 911.

Mire told authorities he feared for his and his family's safety, according to reports.

The person was taken to University Medical Center, where he later died of internal injuries, according to police.

Crimes often occur from people that you know, those familiar with your habits and what you have in your house. Hopefully it was not the 'friend' of the family that was in the home in a suspicious manner and then got shot ...I think that about quadruples how bad something like this is. We'll just have to wait for the facts to come out.

Brian

In Monday's Avalanche Journal

Story last updated at 2:33 a.m. Monday, June 11, 2007
    Friends mourn death of shooting victim
    BY robin pyle
    AVALANCHE-JOURNAL

Megan Sturdivant broke down in tears when she learned her friend was shot and killed Saturday morning by a Tech Terrace homeowner.

Her friend was 23-year-old Ross Baker, a Texas Tech engineering major.

Baker was shot at about 3:45 a.m. inside a home in the 3000 block of 24th Street. The homeowner, 43-year-old Charles Mire, told authorities he feared for his and his family's safety when Baker entered the home and set off the alarm, according to Lubbock police reports.

Mire said he warned Baker several times to surrender and then fired a warning shot into the ceiling above his head, according to reports.
    Baker was taken to University Medical Center, where he later died of internal injuries.

"I was in complete shock," Sturdivant said. "I understand where the other person was coming from, being scared, but at the same time I can't believe he shot my friend and killed him."

She said she doesn't believe that Baker was doing anything criminal on Saturday morning, adding that Baker's family and friends believe that he must have thought he was at his own house, a residence in which he had just moved and located four blocks from the Mire residence in Tech Terrace.

The Mires said they wished not to comment on the shooting, but Amy Mire, Charles' wife, did say "It's a terrible tragedy for everyone involved."

Baker's family declined to comment on Sunday.

"It's just a horrible situation," Sturdivant said. "I still can't believe it."

Baker, who grew up in Weatherford, doesn't have a criminal history in Lubbock, according to police records.

"He was a really great guy, a real gentleman," Sturdivant said.

She recalls her friend as a funny person who also had a serious side. She said she loved spending time with him because he was fun to be around.

Baker especially loved hunting, fishing and skiing, she said.

To comment on this story:

robin.briscoe@lubbockonline.com
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -- Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Thanks for the update.

Sadly, that is the grandson of one of the older members of our church.

The young man was never in trouble a day in his life, and according to family members, did not do drugs or drink.

It seems that he had just moved to the neighborhood and was in the wrong house at the wrong time.

There will be an autopsy to determine if there was anything wrong that might have impaired his thinking.

My questions are:

How did he get inside the house ?

If he had no weapon of any kind, will this be a 'justified' shooting by the homeowner ?

I am not critical of anyone in the situation because I did not know the youg man, just have questions of my own from the position of both being a former LEO and a current CHL holder.

Being a college age guy and that time of night, made me wonder if he stumbled into the wrong house under the influence of alcohol. I'm thinking maybe the church family might know all the man's alcohol habits...or maybe it wasn't a habit. It just doesn't add up with out alcohol involvement.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Homeowner not likely to face charges in shooting
    BY HENRI BRICKEY
    AVALANCHE-JOURNAL

The man who shot and killed an intruder in his Tech Terrace home over the weekend will most likely not be charged with any crime, the district attorney said Monday.

Charles Mire shot Ross Baker inside Mire's home in the 3000 block of 24th Street about 3:35 a.m. Saturday. Mire, 43, told authorities he feared for his and his family's safety when Baker entered the home and set off an alarm, according to Lubbock police reports.

Lubbock County Criminal District Attorney Matt Powell said the law allows a person to use deadly force if they fear injury or death.

"Finding a stranger in your home at that time in the morning - that's about as scary as it gets," Powell said.
    Friends of Baker say that the 23-year-old Texas Tech engineering major must have been lost or disoriented when he entered Mire's home.

Baker had recently moved into a home four blocks from the Mire residence in the Tech Terrace neighborhood.

Marcus Davis, Baker's roommate, said Monday that Baker was not the criminal type.

"He didn't have any enemies," Davis said. "Everybody he met loved him. He would never hurt anybody."

Police say Baker entered the house through an unlocked side door.

Baker, who grew up in Weatherford, doesn't have a criminal history in Lubbock, according to police records.

Toxicology tests are still pending to determine if Baker was under the influence of drugs or alcohol when Mire shot him in the stomach with a 9mm pistol, according to police.

Prior to firing the fatal shot, Mire ordered Baker to surrender several times and fired a warning shot, according to police.

The district attorney's office will make a final determination in the case after the police hand over all the details of the shooting, including the toxicology report.

The shooting comes three months after Gov. Rick Perry signed into law a bill that gives Texans a stronger legal right to defend themselves in their homes, cars and workplaces.

The bill, backed by the National Rifle Association, states that a person has no duty to retreat from an intruder before using deadly force and provides civil immunity for a person who lawfully uses it.

To comment on this story:

henri.brickey@lubbockonline.com 766-8754

Thanks for the replies, everyone. The grandparents here finally learned from the boy's parents that he had been to a party and had been drinking a lot. He had a policy of not drinking and driving, so he was walking home from the party.

The theory is that since he was new to the neighborhood and four blocks from his house, his intoxicated state had him disorientated enough that he thought the house he entered was the one he moved into a month ago.

As stated in the post above by portsider 44, He tried the front door, set off the alarms and woke the family. Two calls were made to 9-1-1. One from a child in the house, and one from the homeowner. The subject could not get in there, so he tried other doors. He found a side door to the house that was not locked, and entered the home. The homeowner confronted him and told him several times to leave, but he did not. I guess that in his intoxicated state, if he thought he was in his own home, he was probably wondering why someone else was there.

Apparently, the homeowner fired a warning shot into his own ceiling, then when the intruder still did not leave, he shot him one time in the mid section.

Tragic all the way around, but just another example of how too much alcohol can be deadly. The boy's family, as well as the homeowner and his family, will all have to live with this tragedy.

The DA has already cited Texas law saying that he doubts any charges will be filed against the homeowner since the incident fits all requirements of the law because the homeowner told responding Police Officers that he shot the intruder because he feared for the safety of himself and his family.

From the description of the kid, it doesn't seem likely he was there to rob or harm.

My secretary knows the shooter, and says he's a real stand-up guy too.

Tragic.

This is a case of just BAD LUCK. I don't drink alcohol at all, and don't oppose those that do. But it goes to show how important it is for us to maintain situational awareness regardless. If one drinks to the point of not knowing if he is in the right home or not, he has lost the situational awareness that otherwise would have saved his life.

So he entered the wrong house and was shot, it is just as easy for him to have been hit by a car because he wandered out into the street, or some other bad situation. I applaud that he wasn't drinking and driving, but the end results are still bad!

My sympathies to both parties. The family has lost a good child, and the homeowner must be feeling awful as well.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Links