Almost had to draw

This is a discussion on Almost had to draw within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Background: my wife and I own a dry cleaners in Edmond, OK (once a sleepy college white-flight from Okla. City town, now a booming suburb ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost had to draw

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar

Almost had to draw

Background: my wife and I own a dry cleaners in Edmond, OK (once a sleepy college white-flight from Okla. City town, now a booming suburb which is 7 times as large as it once was). The cleaners is next door to a 7-11 at a major intersection in Edmond. As we own the place, there is no question about carry -- we have guns in the store, and I carry one on me pretty much 24/7. Not that Edmond is a high crime place -- far from it! but I'm not one to think the cops can protect me if something goes down.

One night not so long ago, I had to go to the store to get something (cannot remember what, but this is routine). It was well after dark, and as I unlocked the door I noticed (as I keep a swivel head) a car suddenly stop right in front of the store and the guy jump out. As he did so, I turned to face him. We eyed each other for a few seconds -- no words were spoken -- then he jumped back in his car and left.

Now I have little doubt that this fellow was after a quick score. I did not recognize him as a customer (too young anyhow). I think had he come toward me I would have drawn to a low-ready. As it was, perhaps he sized me up as possibly carrying. I was wearing an untucked knit shirt over my G26 in an IWB holster at 1 o'clock. Or maybe he could tell by my demeanor (and the fact that I saw him coming) that I was onto him, and showed no fear.

I just wanted to share with the gun carrying community -- perhaps others could learn from this, or perhaps some have comments.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Glad that everything turned out OK.

And I agree on your perception about demeanor. I believe we project a I Am Not A Victim vibe that some crooks will see and decide it is just not worth the attempt. Problem is when the crook is too dumb to read the signs.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    Only comments would be -

Swivel head ... check ... good Spidey sense switched on!

Carrying demeanor - yep I am convinced it shows even with no obvious gun showing. It's body language and the confidence of having an option ... detectable IMO.

I do not know your height/weight but even with folks not built large - the way we hold ourselves conveys messages.

Main lesson from this simply - is what you did and were ready to do - but with no pre-emptive actions, and, fortunately it was self-limiting.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good call. I'm in agreement that body language is big. If you stand confidently and alertly, you are more likely to get passed up by a bad guy. One that's clear headed anyway.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Yellow to yellowish-orange...nice move...

Glad this worked out well...nasty world out there!

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Glad to hear it went the other way...guess the guy had a premonition or something.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Glad to hear that you kept a constant scan of the area. If not, Things could have turned out alot worse. I'm glad to hear differant.

It's better to have it and not need it, Than to need it and not have it.
    "Its's better to have it and not need it, Than to need it and not have it"
    [I]Steve-o

Body language might be the most underated thing in the world. It's probably saved and cost more lives than we'll ever know.

Close call Freedom Doc. Sounds like it was handled great.

Must have been intimidating for the bad guy to see you turn around and face him without cowering. I agree that having options (as a last resort) gives us confidence which shows on our faces and prompted him to go find easier prey.

Ron
    Last edited by PapaScout; June 10th, 2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: typo :)
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Good call...the key was awareness and keeping your head on a swivel...can't act if you don't know when/what/where/why...and Edmond no less...my domicile...

Rick

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    I like this talk on body language because i am a communication guru in trying to read people. Why do you think these thugs out there use the phrase why you mugging me. AKA Starring at me. Most communication is Non Verbal . I personally like the I got a suprise for you and don t know what I know look!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Freedom Doc, I like your story -- in every respect.

It's well told; depicts a man who has a lot of sense, knows that he must be his own protection, and keeps his eyes open (condition yellow as he should be).

Very glad you were ready to do what might have to be done, and that you didn't have to do it. Cheers!

Definitely glad things turned out ok.

Body language is the language of the street. The thugs read it like reading a Dr. Seuss book. I am sure he aborted his nefarious intention based on how he "read" you.

Just because we will never know for sure because he never completed the act doesn't mean we should ignore what we know to be the case.

Good job! Stay Safe!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I wonder if he continued on and found a more approachable victim after declining to try something on Doc.

Doc, did you call the police and report the suspicious guy?
    I think that might be advisable. Could end up getting a patrol to stop the guy and find out he was up to no good, before he caught up with someone he could victimize...

I think you did good.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links