MMM at the Celebrate Fairfax Festival

This is a discussion on MMM at the Celebrate Fairfax Festival within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had an amusing run-in with the Million Mom Moron.. er.. March at the Celebrate Fairfax (Virginia) Festival today. I was walking around when I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MMM at the Celebrate Fairfax Festival

MMM at the Celebrate Fairfax Festival

I had an amusing run-in with the Million Mom Moron.. er.. March at the Celebrate Fairfax (Virginia) Festival today.

I was walking around when I spied their booth stratigically placed across from the VT Alumni booth. I stepped over and started to browse their literature and the woman quickly asked me to sign a petition. I said "no thanks" She then asked me if I would like to sign a postcard to send to the Governer demanding that firearms be banned on school property.

(Now as far as I know, you can't carry in any school building already, but you can carry in your car. You could technically leave a firearm in your car if you had to run inside for some reason. I gathered this was what they were going after from their fliers.)

I replied "no thanks". She then went on to talk about the VT shooter, and I calmly asked her "Don't you think that if someone rightfully had their firearm with them during that, maybe could have prevented so many people from being hurt?" She turned snide and asked me "Are you with the VCDL?" I replied "yes Ma'am". Then she quickly snatched the flier from my hands and asked me "you packin' today?" I smiled and said "Maybe" and walked away. I didn't grab a cookie off of her table before I left, but I kinda wish I did.

I got to thinking about it later and I realized that had I been carrying (I wasn't as I don't have my permit, yet. I am working throught the training and the mindset first. I know I'm not ready to carry just yet.) and said yes she'd of probably had me arrested. You had to cross through the Fairfax County Goverment Center Building to access the fair (or use the restrooms) and while I didn't see any signs, I'm pretty sure you can't carry in their government offices.

I have to say, I was really amused that she instantly asked me if I was with the Virginia Citizens Defense League. This was later in the day on Sunday so I assume other VCDL members had voiced their opinions to them on the previous two days.

Kudos to the VCDL, the best advocacy group I've ever known! http://www.vcdl.org/
    Highwayman Rider

"An armed society is a polite society."
    -R.A. Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

Well you would have been wrong. It's not illegal to carry in the Fairfax Government center if you have a carry permit. Although they try to make it illegal every year.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk! --Tuco

The cookie would've made you choke, they are baked with ignorance not love.

I agree with your first statement..."Morons...millions of them"...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I used to work right off the Mall in DC and I saw tons of these idiots. One group used to display shoes by the hundreds and claim that these shoes represented people killed by guns. I asked if the victims actually wore the shoes because most of them were women's dress shoes. They said the shoes were donated. I said what's the point? The lady there saw something about my attitude and went and got some guy to talk to me. He was saying that thousands were killed by guns and I pointed out that more were killed by swimming pools and besides other weapons killed people too. I told him I had been stabbed twice and would not have been had I had a gun. He thought that it was worse to be shot than stabbed. They had all of these shoes on the grass outside the Capitol. I told him his numbers were wrong and he did not dispute that. They started to gang up on me and to avoid a fist fight I just left to finish my walk at lunch and went back to my office. What a bunch of strange folks. I am sure they mean well but they are so uninformed.
    Last edited by Sam Douthit; June 11th, 2007 at 12:06 AM. Reason: spelling
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

I think those zealots are just bursting at the seams on the verge of lashing out with violence. The way they spew abject hatred and anger when stating their position. I think they are ticking time bombs.

The eco-terrorists and groups like PETA have already resorted to violence in many cases and so have some fringe elements of right-to-lifers by assassinating abortion doctors or blowing up clinics.

I don't think certain fringe groups of the anti-gun zealots are far from resorting to violence themselves.

I don't provoke them when they have booths set up anywhere because there is nothing I have to say to sway their opinions.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HighwaymanRider View Post
    She then went on to talk about the VT shooter, and I calmly asked her "Don't you think that if someone rightfully had their firearm with them during that, maybe could have prevented so many people from being hurt?" She turned snide and asked me "Are you with the VCDL?" I replied "yes Ma'am". Then she quickly snatched the flier from my hands and asked me "you packin' today?" I smiled and said "Maybe" and walked away. I didn't grab a cookie off of her table before I left, but I kinda wish I did.
    It takes a special kind of stupid to get overtly snide in the face of what is obviously a good person, a "sheepdog" who actually cares about good people being able to protect themselves.

People will say that it's bad form, but I really can't say that I mind when that kind of person has something bad happen to her. In fact, I think it's just.

You're my hero, dude!

haha this reminds me of the time my friend made a huge scene at a fair last year. There was a large booth with petitioners and a large banner that read some thing like "jesus hates guns" It was halloween and my friend worked part time at the haunted house ride. He was dressed as the devil. When he saw that banner he got a piece of cardboard and wrote really big "I agree, Give up your guns!"
    Wow were those guys mad. He stood far enough away not to get in trouble for about an hour and alot of good folk had a laugh. The people at the booth got someone in charge who found out that my bud worked there and he had to stop.
    Good idea if somewhat crude.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I don't think certain fringe groups of the anti-gun zealots are far from resorting to violence themselves.

I don't provoke them when they have booths set up anywhere because there is nothing I have to say to sway their opinions.

But I have to admit that it would be nice to provoke them into committing a criminal act of violence and seeing them carted off in handcuffs. Oh, and suing their organization in civil court. Hee hee!

Senior Moderator
    I have not had the "privilege" of meeting these fine women (and men) on the streets yet but I think it would be interesting to do so.

Because of my petite, happy and feminine demeanor I would probably be pounced upon to help, to sign papers to send cards, all that good stuff.

In these moments I absolutely LOVE playing the "innocent" devil's advocate.

I put on my very confused and concerned face and start asking a large number of questions. If they start getting "aggressive" all I have to do is look even more confused and hurt and say, "Wait a minute. I'm just asking questions and you keep getting more and more angry. I thought yours was a message of peace. You seem a little 'hostile' to be talking the way you are."

I replied "no thanks". She then went on to talk about the VT shooter, and I calmly asked her "Don't you think that if someone rightfully had their firearm with them during that, maybe could have prevented so many people from being hurt?" She turned snide and asked me "Are you with the VCDL?" I replied "yes Ma'am". Then she quickly snatched the flier from my hands and asked me "you packin' today?" I smiled and said "Maybe" and walked away. I didn't grab a cookie off of her table before I left, but I kinda wish I did.
    Always. Take. The. Cookie.

:)

Anti-gunners and their vitriolic attitude...the reason I believe they're afraid of guns is because they're afraid of what they'd do if they had a gun. Most folks that own/carry a gun are not the type of person to let their emotions overcome their common sense. I don't believe anti-gunners fit in that category...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Administrator
    Their actual numbers are FAR LESS than a Million.
    They can only dream about being 1 Million strong.
    That's one cookie I sure wouldn't touch.

So she didn't even want to waste a flier on ya.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I didn't walk over there with the intention of confronting them honest! :) I was really just curious in a Sun Tzu "Know your enemy" kind of way.
    I should have taken the cookie :( They were large, gooey chocolate chip cookies and as she didn't want me having their flier I'm sure it would have infuriated her further to "waste" a cookie on me.
    I wonder how many sheep signatures she collected from otherwise impartial/uninformed folks who just wanted a free cookie?
    Highwayman Rider

"An armed society is a polite society."
    -R.A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    Always. Take. The. Cookie.

:)
    Then choke on it...
    Then blame the cookie, not the cook... it works for them.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links