I slept soundly last night. I wonder if they would have been able to.

This is a discussion on I slept soundly last night. I wonder if they would have been able to. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; IMO they don't deserve to sleep well. They are to ignorant and irresponsible to keeps arms to protect thier family and homes. I have familt ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I slept soundly last night. I wonder if they would have been able to.

IMO they don't deserve to sleep well. They are to ignorant and irresponsible to keeps arms to protect thier family and homes. I have familt members that are this way. I love them but I still think they are ignorant and irresponsible. That's my take on it. I know it's harsh but it's hard for me to feel sorry for the sheep sometimes. I'll stand and protect them if need be but I just can't feel sorry for them much.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Limatunes, parts of your story seem to indicate a compromise between 'logic' and 'feel good'.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    It sounded too loud to just be the cats.
    I don't recall the details, but I know that in the past I've heard noises that were 'too loud to just be the cats.' If my main instinct is survival then logically I would get out of bed, grab a light and a weapon, and go check the noise.

I also didn't want to get up and go look, and I just couldn't stay awake.
    So being comfortable in bed is more important than being safe?

My eyes kept closing so I just reached over, grabbed my gun and put it under my pillow so that if something came of it I wouldn't have to reach far....
    Wouldn't it be better to respond to a threat pro-actively when you are deliberately awake and presumably before they are in your house, rather than trying to wake up instantly and shoot at someone coming through the bedroom door?

My eyes flew open and my hand was already on my gun, but before I even moved it from beneath my pillow I saw the silhouette of a furry tail bounce across the bed, and out the bedroom door. Darn cat scared me half to death, but I smiled at it's furry enthusiasm as I fell back into a deep sleep after my heart rate came down.
    I must admit, sometimes when I hear a noise I do go back to sleep... but lately that just doesn't sit right. How can I justify carrying / sleeping in reach of a firearm and then abandon the tactical advantage of alertness by going to sleep at the sound of danger?

I want to avoid using deadly force while I'm still half asleep so I think I'm going to check anything that sounds unusual from now on. I bet I can aim better after waking up for a minute or two compared to 'pillow shooting' a burglar.

I'm sure I will sleep better if I know that a noise is just a cat than if I'm not sure...

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Limatunes,
    So being comfortable in bed is more important than being safe?
    Sometimes, YES!!

I value my sleep (only a fellow battling insomniac can appreciate how wonderful it is to actually close your eyes and fall asleep).

Wouldn't it be better to respond to a threat pro-actively when you are deliberately awake and presumably before they are in your house, rather than trying to wake up instantly and shoot at someone coming through the bedroom door?

I must admit, sometimes when I hear a noise I do go back to sleep... but lately that just doesn't sit right. How can I justify carrying / sleeping in reach of a firearm and then abandon the tactical advantage of alertness by going to sleep at the sound of danger?

I want to avoid using deadly force while I'm still half asleep so I think I'm going to check anything that sounds unusual from now on. I bet I can aim better after waking up for a minute or two compared to 'pillow shooting' a burglar.

I'm sure I will sleep better if I know that a noise is just a cat than if I'm not sure...
    You are right. It is better to check, and I can't tell you how many times I've flown out of bed with flashlight and gun in hand and made thorough checks of my home, especially when my husband isn't home.

This may sound cheesy and a bit weird but I am more lax about my safety when my husband is home than when he's away. I'm not so paranoid, I'm not as anal about checking every little ping and pang.

There are even times when he's been home that I've gotten up and checked, or deliberately kicked him out of bed to check with me if the noise was particularly odd.

I know the sounds of my apartment and I wasn't so alarmed that I thought it required clearing the apartment. Though I wasn't alarmed enough to do a search, I wasn't going to weigh all of my luck on that side of the scale, that's why I grabbed my gun.

I did compromise and I really don't see anything wrong with that, especially since everything turned out just fine.

The anti-gunners have a host of weaponry to bring to bear on an assailant. They prefer to use car keys, nail files, hair spray, wetting themselves, soiling their underwear, puking, fainting, begging for mercy and last but not least, submitting.

VIP Member
    They sleep probably better than most of us. We are aware that bad things CAN and DO happen US. We sleep with an ear focused on our surroundings.. Anti's sleep well because nothing bad can ever happen to them.......

My bedroom door dosn't latch completely, but I close it to keep the cats from jumping on me and waking me up. One of the cats has figured out how to open the door. The first time he did I had my Pistol in hand when I woke up from the sound of the door opening.
    Now I also wedge a stop under the door so he can't open it. Just the sound of him trying to open it will wake me.

One of the most dangerous things a person can do is to 'clear' their home if a prowler is in it. It is better to wait armed and in your bedroom, if the prowler breaks into the bedroom, then it's his loss.

The problem is that the first responce is to go see what caused that noise. With Multiple cats in the house, I have learned to tell their noise from that of a person moving around. I have an old house and unless you know where to walk it is impossible to move without having the floor squeek. All persons that have keys know that if they come in at night when the lights are off, to anounce themselves or they might have to face a gun.

but... Mr. BG... I worship Sarah Brady....
    It's because of people like ME that people like YOU can threaten innocents without fear of retaliation.....

I hope they do not sleep soundly, or at all. They disgust me Lima. Honestly.

Those that would not fight to defend the gift that is their life deserve neither rest nor the gift itself. We would all benefit from their being removed from the Earth.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

...I value my sleep (only a fellow battling insomniac can appreciate how wonderful it is to actually close your eyes and fall asleep)

+1 Lima...
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    I've even seen men say "well...after tonight, I'm getting a gun!" and then their wives say, "Oh no you are NOT! I will NOT have a gun in my house!!!"
    Hope she enjoys sleeping in the dog house while the dog sleeps in the bed.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    One of the most dangerous things a person can do is to 'clear' their home if a prowler is in it. It is better to wait armed and in your bedroom, if the prowler breaks into the bedroom, then it's his loss.
    What is more dangerous... checking on a noise or going back to sleep? If I was pretty sure I had a prowler, I would call 911 and stay in my bedroom. But I can't call 911 every time I hear an unconfirmed noise -- so my compromise is to cautiously check it out (depending on what it sounds like.)

Last week one of the dogs started yipping continuously at 3:45am. I was pretty tired since I usually wake up around 6:00. I put a gun and cell phone in my pocket and went out with a flashlight to check the doors and windows. There was nothing unusual so I just went to work early instead of trying to get back to sleep.

There are even times when he's been home that I've gotten up and checked, or deliberately kicked him out of bed to check with me if the noise was particularly odd.
    That may be the best option yet. It can't hurt to take the Marines with you.

I sometimes have a tendency to drift towards extremes in philosophy and lifestyle. Maybe I should install an alarm or some cameras so I can check on noises without leaving my bedroom.

me
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    I've even seen men say "well...after tonight, I'm getting a gun!" and then their wives say, "Oh no you are NOT! I will NOT have a gun in my house!!!"
    Did you go to my Ex's house?
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

=stanislaskasava;397493]
    Last week one of the dogs started yipping continuously at 3:45am. I was pretty tired since I usually wake up around 6:00. I put a gun and cell phone in my pocket and went out with a flashlight to check the doors and windows. There was nothing unusual so I just went to work early instead of trying to get back to sleep.
    In your pocket? If you are clearing your home because of a strange noise or the dog is going nut's wouldn't it be better to have your gun in hand?
    Personally I wouldn't do it any other way.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

In Army Cop's Post...

There is an interesting observation...

Human Beings understand reason, compassion, and dignity...
    Predators understand STRENGTH...

I might add...the 'far left' understands neither...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lima, you've got some awesome thread-starting posts!

I have an alarm on the door, light and holstered weapon mounted at bedside, and two ferocious guard cats. I think I sleep pretty well, though the cats do wake me up occasionally.

Then again, when I was in the barracks at Redstone and had buddies in the next room who made a habit of playing practical jokes, I frequently woke up seemingly ready to take someone down.
    "BBC bias hurts on a personal level, doesn't it? It's like having a favorite childhood relative who turns out to be a criminal." -- My brother.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links