I slept soundly last night. I wonder if they would have been able to.

This is a discussion on I slept soundly last night. I wonder if they would have been able to. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Glock 'em down But...getting back on topic...you wouldn't believe the calls we get from antis being scared to death in the middle ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I slept soundly last night. I wonder if they would have been able to.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    But...getting back on topic...you wouldn't believe the calls we get from antis being scared to death in the middle of the night. I've even seen men say "well...after tonight, I'm getting a gun!" and then their wives say, "Oh no you are NOT! I will NOT have a gun in my house!!!"

...crazy...
    Crazy... and funny!

I mean, what is the wife thinking? She's had a close call scary enough to make her summon the police, but still doesn't understand the utility of being equipped to fight if the police response is too late?

Gawd, it really seems as though we should let such people fall prey to criminals. Let's just get it over with, man. How long do we have to carry these people? Willfully ignorant... Intransigent... Self-righteous... Insistent on being helpless and dependent...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I agree with you, my fear is that the sheeple will elect someone like Hillary, or Obama into office. I was reading their stance on the 2nd Amendment. I know that Obama believes concealed weapons should be banned (completely) and both support the AWB.
    These are the same kind of people who then say, "I respect the 2nd Amendment," and don brand-new hunting gear, kill a duck or two for the cameras, and then get right back to work on gun bans.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Crazy... and funny!

I mean, what is the wife thinking? She's had a close call scary enough to make her summon the police, but still doesn't understand the utility of being equipped to fight if the police response is too late?

Gawd, it really seems as though we should let such people fall prey to criminals. Let's just get it over with, man. How long do we have to carry these people? Willfully ignorant... Intransigent... Self-righteous... Insistent on being helpless and dependent...
    I agree. Survival of the fi...I mean prepared!
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
    They sleep soundly, because like most of the big anti politicians, they have their own armed protection details, or even their own carry permit.

They are interested in controlling YOUR guns, not theirs.
    Or they use a baseball bat, candlestick, fire poker, kitchen knife or some other improvised weapon.

By the way, cats suck and are completely useless. I should know. I have 2!

I did see a product recently that allows you to put a small circular hole in your door for the kitties to come and go.

http://www.kittenkaboodle.com/Mercha...-Doors/Cathole
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

cool cat door, thanks for the link.

Myself like others I sleep thru just about anything. A bomb could go off outside and I'd sleep right thru it.

I don't know about most cats but our male cat growls and makes quite a fuss anytime he hears anything strange outside.

Great Thread Lima.

Senior Moderator
    Personally, I don't think a lot of these people are willingly ignorant as much as they never grew up.

When children are children, they expect their parents to take care of them and to protect them and to watch over them. It's the parent's job to wean them off of parental protection and control and to prepare them for life on their own.

All too often we see parents who just DON'T LET GO. They want their children to have a better life than they had (which isn't necessarily a bad goal) but they don't realize that it was the hard times and the scary times and the moments of grit and guts that made them the strong adults that they were. So they pave the way for their children in high-school, pay their way in college, hand out money to them whenever they need it, buy them houses, cars, and what not. The kids may move away but they never grow up.

When their parents die or something else separates them from the coddling of their home life, they turn to society to pick up the slack. Mommy and Daddy are no longer there to chase the monsters out from under their bed and so they are going to call Mr. Police Man to do it for them.

They don't want to, or worse, they honestly don't know HOW to protect themselves. They've never had to do it before, they've never had to face the big bad wolf themselves and, like scared little children, they don't want the responsibility either. That means they may actually have to get their hands dirty and make a big decision that may cause some pain, and may force them to grow a backbone.

Sometimes we get to see it, when life deals a rough blow and they go, "Oh wow, I was wrong," and they change their stripes.

They do live in a big, fantasy playground where if a child is hurting another child with a toy, they just take away the toy and "POOF" no more hurting and everyone is happy.

It's just that life is not a playground with the watchful nanny and the kiss that makes everything all right again.

In this playground, the only way to stop the bully with the toy is to have a toy of your own that you know how to play with better and kick the crap out of the bully.

Okay, enough playground analogies.

Assistant Administrator
    Another winner lima - great thread. Shucks, over 50 posts to it already!

I'll stress the word that covers it all for the anti's . D-E-N-I-A-L ......... and that seems to cover most who may or not sleep at night, but who somehow feel happy to have no adequate means of protection.

I no longer have the stomach to browse the anti gun sites ... I know now pretty much what they say - doesn't change really and I need to keep blood pressure down so I CAN sleep!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I use a friendly dog as my first line of defense. She sounds mean and nasty thru a door and has been trained to bark when someone is at a entry point.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien Nation View Post
    In your pocket? If you are clearing your home because of a strange noise or the dog is going nut's wouldn't it be better to have your gun in hand?
    Personally I wouldn't do it any other way.
    I live as a roommate in my friend's house. One of his chihuahuas was barking the 'I hear something outside' bark at an early hour. I just wanted to see what I could see and check the locks. I would've slept more soundly if I had gone back to sleep.

I've known a few people who seem to use the same irrational process in each area of life... when they lock themself out repeatedly and call for help, but never conclude that keeping a spare key is worthwhile.

Big government is enabling people to incubate in a self-retarding mentality of never having to change their own diaper.

JD
    Administrator

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I use a friendly dog as my first line of defense. She sounds mean and nasty thru a door and has been trained to bark when someone is at a entry point.
    HA! I have Lima to alert me if a mouse sneezes within a one block radius.

Honestly, I'm glad she wakes up, I sleep like the dead.

The only time I've ever woken up at night for "strange" noises was when I was in the field or in Iraq.

I've slept through car wrecks in the front yard, glass bowls getting knocked off the counter by the cats, and one earth quake.

I think they use earplugs to block out the scary noises. Or sleep with the TV on more likely.

Austin

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes
    All too often we see parents who just DON'T LET GO. They want their children to have a better life than they had (which isn't necessarily a bad goal) but they don't realize that it was the hard times and the scary times and the moments of grit and guts that made them the strong adults that they were. So they pave the way for their children in high-school, pay their way in college, hand out money to them whenever they need it, buy them houses, cars, and what not. The kids may move away but they never grow up.
    Unfortunately the problem goes much deeper than this. People in this scenario can be woken up. It usually takes some form of trauma to themselves or someone close to them.

Then you have the kind of people like my Mother. She did not have an easy childhood. In fact, by todays standards, she was abused as a child. She never had anything handed to her until she met my Father. She is the worst kind of Liberal Sheeple.
    If the Church or the Liberal Dem. Dejour didn't say it, it can't be true.
    She is steadfast in her belief that if you legislate it everything will be OK. Her one saving grace is that she is not hypocritical about it. She truly believes that what's good for the goose is good for the gander. It's just that her view is skewed.
    I love my mother. She raised me well despite her fascist bent. Somehow she gave me a mind and the will to use it. Which is why I will never quit trying to bring her in to reality.
    Futile as it may seem we cannot give up on these people.
    They are sick.
    They need help and the people that they put their trust in cannot help them and probably wouldn't even if they could.

Unfortunately for US, we can and will do all that we can for these people, to the point of dieing to defend their right to be what they are, and be treated like the Magnificent 7... "Thank You... now get out. You're too violent for us." (did that really have to be one sentence?)
    IMHO
    Great post Lima!
    Last edited by luvmy40; June 13th, 2007 at 08:11 AM.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Member Array Angel in San Antonio's Avatar

True, so True

IT is comforting knowing you have the ability and (fire)power to react to something alarming or just unsettling when something like that goes down. Personally, i find comfort in knowing my God is always with me, and He's only a whisper away from calling Him and praying for peace. But my God knows that there are some stupid fool idiots full of the devil that would love to take advantage of anyone they can find, so....i thank God for my 40cal. that is only the last resort in "helping" dumb people come to understand that there is a responsibility in living here in this country, and it's not to harm/hurt others. Helping the community enforce civil and moral obedience is a responsibility of everyone, especially if you carry.
    Angel O:)

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    One of the most dangerous things a person can do is to 'clear' their home if a prowler is in it. It is better to wait armed and in your bedroom, if the prowler breaks into the bedroom, then it's his loss.
    While I understand this to be true, I cannot not leave to search out a noise. I have two children that sleep in the next room. Since we live in a single story house, there is no "safe room", or vantage point at the top of the stairs.

The noise that I hear could be someone invading my domicile, or it could be my three year old that needs to be ushered back off to bed.

Not everything is going to be black and white.

Now, you could drop a grenade in my bedroom, and I would never hear it. Let my kids snort, cough or cry, then I am wide awake and rolling out of bed.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

New Member Array doubletappinfool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    One of the most dangerous things a person can do is to 'clear' their home if a prowler is in it. It is better to wait armed and in your bedroom, if the prowler breaks into the bedroom, then it's his loss.
    The best response it a tactical response. When a situation escalates you immediately must evaluate your options and make a decision as to your best course of action.
    For your situation a defensive position might be best.

For my home (layout, persons, animals, ability to move without noise) I feel that clearing the house leaves me in a better position. No one knows the lay of my house or it's fire lanes and cover, better then me. Also that allows me for multiple engagements if needed and a better chance to engaging on my terms. I do not want my first contact to be my final stand, where my fiance's life hangs inches away.
    The ability to engage, displace, cover and re-engage are import to me when most home invasions in my area are multiple perps...

But again. Tactical is everything. No two situations are the same.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links