Defensive Carry banner

I slept soundly last night. I wonder if they would have been able to.

5K views 60 replies 45 participants last post by  DirtDawg 
#1 ·
I just finished making my tour of the anti-gun websites. Not that I like to visit them, but I want to see the kind of garbage they are spewing and come up with good answers to their arguments.

I usually finish up my anti-gun tour, with a tour of the pro-gun sites, to lift my spirits and get a little taste of sanity. I read some stories where guns saved lives and stopped crime and I feel good again.

However, I realized something on my circuit through the web today.

On the anti-gun web sites they give no first hand stories or examples of people who stopped or deterred a crime by NOT having a gun.

They spew their propaganda, but they give you no examples of what to do if you feel threatened (other than, of course, to call 911).

This morning my husband woke up and turned over to hold me before we had to get up for work and as he slid his hand under my pillow he hit my .45 knocking it off the bed and causing it to crash on the floor.

"You never sleep with your gun under your pillow when I'm home," he said, "What's up?"

"Oh," I said, "Sorry. Around one-thirty this morning I woke to some weird noises. It sounded like someone or something was picking at the screen door. I knew it was probably the cats, but with the noise from the fans and everything I wasn't sure. It sounded too loud to just be the cats. I also didn't want to get up and go look, and I just couldn't stay awake. My eyes kept closing so I just reached over, grabbed my gun and put it under my pillow so that if something came of it I wouldn't have to reach far, and nothing short of a gunshot would wake you anyway."

"True," he said as he gave me a kiss and started digging under the bed to retrieve my gun for me satisfied that my reasoning was justified.

A few weeks ago we got to witness a domestic disturbance in the next apartment building and last night, before we went to bed we saw the police had been called in to that building. After walking out of the building and into the sound of shots being fired, and the screaming and sirens we hear often around here, it's not a far stretch to believe a breakin could happen here.

With that gun in my hand, and under my pillow, as paranoid as it sounds I fell fast asleep and slept like a baby.

Only once did I startle awake when I felt aggressive pressure to my neck.

My eyes flew open and my hand was already on my gun, but before I even moved it from beneath my pillow I saw the silhouette of a furry tail bounce across the bed, and out the bedroom door. Darn cat scared me half to death, but I smiled at it's furry enthusiasm as I fell back into a deep sleep after my heart rate came down.

Today, after reading through everything on both the pro and anti sites, I wonder how the anti-gunners sleep when they hear strange noises or are awakened in the dead of night by little paws that in the shroud of sleep can be so easily mistaken for fingers.

What gives them comfort when they are afraid? When they hear a gunshot out their window, what do they grab for their defense? The phone? A baseball bat?

Had one of them been in my place last night would she have been able to sleep as soundly and rest as peacefully?

I wish I could hear their logical answer to this. I wish they could tell me what I could do to know I was safer without my gun last night, or any night for that matter.

Somehow I must have missed that section of their website.

See less See more
#3 ·
Today, after reading through everything on both the pro and anti sites, I wonder how the anti-gunners sleep when they hear strange noises or are awakened in the dead of night by little paws that in the shroud of sleep can be so easily mistaken for fingers.
Their reasoning would be "pretend to be asleep and it'll go away," "the cops will deal with it," "you've been watching too much TV," or "you must've been up to no good to have that crime visited upon you." :scruntiny:

Way back when, I would go out of my way to debate with anti-gunners. They were futile "debates" where the anti would go: "I have my rosy glasses on, nananananaNANANAnananana." I finally had it with the greased pig wrestling.

There's just no rationalizing with people who absolutely cannot see the error in thinking that if a man was in their bedroom and coming at them with a knife, they would have time to pull out their cellphones, dial 911, and wait for a cop to magically materialize and save their day before they got their throats slit.

#61 ·
Their reasoning would be "pretend to be asleep and it'll go away," "the cops will deal with it," "you've been watching too much TV," or "you must've been up to no good to have that crime visited upon you." :scruntiny:
Sad but true-my Anti "friends" (yes I do keep odd bedfellows) say that nothing will happen to you, paranoid, conspiracy nut etc...

Thas not gonna stop ME from protecting the ones that I love, its just sad how many sheeple can vote with their emotions.:sheep::sheep::sheep:

#4 ·
I believe that they make themselves into a ball while hiding in the closet. Or they could call 911 and hope the police respond before they are killed or raped.

More than likely they believe that if you give them what they want no harm will come to you. Plus if you out lawed guns all volience would magiclyy disappear.

#5 ·
More than likely they believe that if you give them what they want no harm will come to you. Plus if you out lawed guns all volience would magiclyy disappear.
Or, if you just give them what they want and they torture and rape you and beat you and let you live, despite the years (or perhaps lifetime) of feeling useless and violated and depressed and scared and victimized and hopeless and angry and confused, hurt, outraged and terrified.. AT LEAST YOU'RE ALIVE! :bier:

#6 ·
How do anti's sleep? They have the power of denial on their side. "That can't be what it sounded like." "That couldn't happen here." "I just watched a scary movie last night, that's all." etc.

I keep a holster clamped onto the side-board of my bed that is my normal storage place for my pistol. I always know where it is, and it's easy to grab if I need it. A side benefit is the holster keeps the muzzle pointed down, so I don't inadvertently muzzle sweep one my roomate's through the wall by keeping it horizontal.

#22 ·
How do anti's sleep? They have the power of denial on their side...
Exactly.

A lot of people just do not believe that anything bad will ever happen to them and that if by some odd chance they were to find themselves in trouble they could dial 911 for a rescue (police/fire/EMT) or that lady luck if not God himself will protect and keep them safe.

That was exactly the statement made by a woman to the press at the church where a lady was attacked while alone with her thoughts only to eventually fight the guy off by stabbing him repeatedly with the pen she had been using prior to write notes.
She had stated to the news that she was not afraid for her safety because God was with her...to which one is to assume God was not with her fellow parishoner?!?

- Janq

#7 ·
What gives them comfort when they are afraid? When they hear a gunshot out their window, what do they grab for their defense? The phone? A baseball bat?

Had one of them been in my place last night would she have been able to sleep as soundly and rest as peacefully?

I wish I could hear their logical answer to this. I wish they could tell me what I could do to know I was safer without my gun last night, or any night for that matter.
They call guys like me in the dead of night, hoping we will save the day! Us cops have PLENTY to do (reports, patrol, coffee & donuts) the LAST thing we need to do is babysit some anti who is scared of their own shadow. It's funny. I've carried a gun for so long, I guess I take it for granted. We went to our semi-annual weapons qualification a couple of weeks ago, and our instructor was certifying his brother and sister-in-law for their CC license. I never realized how IGNORANT most folks are when it comes to handguns! It was almost SCARY! Anyway...4 hours and fifty rounds later, they were "certified" and should be card carrying citizens in about a month (or two).

But...getting back on topic...you wouldn't believe the calls we get from antis being scared to death in the middle of the night. I've even seen men say "well...after tonight, I'm getting a gun!" and then their wives say, "Oh no you are NOT! I will NOT have a gun in my house!!!"

...crazy...

#40 ·
I've even seen men say "well...after tonight, I'm getting a gun!" and then their wives say, "Oh no you are NOT! I will NOT have a gun in my house!!!"
Hope she enjoys sleeping in the dog house while the dog sleeps in the bed.

#8 ·
"I finally had it with the greased pig wrestling."

"There's just no rationalizing with people who absolutely cannot see the error in thinking that if a man was in their bedroom and coming at them with a knife, they would have time to pull out their cellphones, dial 911, and wait for a cop to magically materialize and save their day before they got their throats slit."

Bingo, gave up wrestling with liberal anti-gun pigs many years ago.

#9 ·
Lima,

We all know that sheeple need a different attitude, but like has been said in past...sheeple won't change their attitude until they pull their head out of the hole they've stuck it in and WANT to become become a more self reliant person. Unfortunately, that's usually after someone has been hurt in some fashion.

I also sleep pretty soundly most of the time, but like your husband, I have bride that hears a LOT better than I and has a good relationship with her .45 that's nearby.

#17 ·
i know how you feel.

I agree with everone here. I don't know how antis sleep peacefully at night. I recently moved across town to a new apartment. I moved from a horrible drug and trash (people) infested neighborhood to a really nice one. However I hadn't quite gotten all of my stuff moved over. I left my shotgun and shells at the old place and my pistol too! I know I know. Bad EMT. As I was falling asleep that night I didn't feel near as safe as I did in the old place, even though I was in a nicer neighborhood. I guess what I am saying is that I had come to relie on my weapons for some measure of comfort and without them I felt somewhat unprotected. Stupid? Maybe but.......

#19 ·
I don't have the stomach for the anti websites

The anti's sleep well because they think bad things can never happen to them. Have you ever noticed that when the you-know-what hits the fan a lot of them run to the nearest gun store to buy a gun. It happens.

As for comfort when they are afraid they have their shield of protection offered by their cell phone. You know, always have a cell phone with you, that is what we are told by the authorities.

#20 ·
Gotta watch then cats - the worst night time scare I ever got (cat between screen door and regular door rattling the door knob very quietly) was a cat-astrophe! It is no wonder all astrophes are blamed on cats!

#21 ·
My sister was here from Wyoming last week and told me how much she is afraid of guns. I don't really think she is an anti; Dad always had his pistol with him when we traveled, and we had shotguns and bird hunted most every season. I did not feel like it would be good to bring up my CHL at the family reunion. In her little town in Wyoming, they still sleep with the windows open. I went there for a visit last summer and carried my G19 the whole time. She never knew. One day I'm sure we'll get around to discussing this....

#23 ·
EXCELLENT post, EXCELLENT points.

In fact, this post is so good, its question so engaging, that I have a couple of people to whom I'm going to link this thread right now. I want them to ask/answer that question for themselves.

#30 ·
They sleep soundly, because like most of the big anti politicians, they have their own armed protection details, or even their own carry permit.

They are interested in controlling YOUR guns, not theirs.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell

#25 ·
Lima,
You understand what kind of world surrounds you. Eyes wide open, ready for defense. Those antigunners like in a fantasy world. Where a kind word will unarm the worst beast. This is a matter of survival of the prepared and realistic. In other words...they are sheep, at the mercy of wolfs. Your chances of survival are much better. You not only can see the wolfs for what they are....but you can turn their attack away. If I were your mother, I would be very proud of you....and would be able to sleep better not having to worry about you. Sometimes my daughter gives me sleepless nights, but she is getting better. There still remains that random act she will do that makes me want to bang my head against the wall. I hope I can still teach her so she can better arm my grand daughter for her future.

#26 ·
I agree with you, my fear is that the sheeple will elect someone like Hillary, or Obama into office. I was reading their stance on the 2nd Amendment. I know that Obama believes concealed weapons should be banned (completely) and both support the AWB.

The scary thing is that the republican side doesn't fair much better. Bill Richardson (Democrat) is listed as opposing gun restrictions. This next election is looking pretty scary!

#47 ·
I agree with you, my fear is that the sheeple will elect someone like Hillary, or Obama into office. I was reading their stance on the 2nd Amendment. I know that Obama believes concealed weapons should be banned (completely) and both support the AWB.
These are the same kind of people who then say, "I respect the 2nd Amendment," and don brand-new hunting gear, kill a duck or two for the cameras, and then get right back to work on gun bans. :mad:

#31 ·
IMO they don't deserve to sleep well. They are to ignorant and irresponsible to keeps arms to protect thier family and homes. I have familt members that are this way. I love them but I still think they are ignorant and irresponsible. That's my take on it. I know it's harsh but it's hard for me to feel sorry for the sheep sometimes. I'll stand and protect them if need be but I just can't feel sorry for them much.

#32 ·
Limatunes, parts of your story seem to indicate a compromise between 'logic' and 'feel good'.

It sounded too loud to just be the cats.
I don't recall the details, but I know that in the past I've heard noises that were 'too loud to just be the cats.' If my main instinct is survival then logically I would get out of bed, grab a light and a weapon, and go check the noise.

I also didn't want to get up and go look, and I just couldn't stay awake.
So being comfortable in bed is more important than being safe?

My eyes kept closing so I just reached over, grabbed my gun and put it under my pillow so that if something came of it I wouldn't have to reach far....
Wouldn't it be better to respond to a threat pro-actively when you are deliberately awake and presumably before they are in your house, rather than trying to wake up instantly and shoot at someone coming through the bedroom door?

My eyes flew open and my hand was already on my gun, but before I even moved it from beneath my pillow I saw the silhouette of a furry tail bounce across the bed, and out the bedroom door. Darn cat scared me half to death, but I smiled at it's furry enthusiasm as I fell back into a deep sleep after my heart rate came down.
I must admit, sometimes when I hear a noise I do go back to sleep... but lately that just doesn't sit right. How can I justify carrying / sleeping in reach of a firearm and then abandon the tactical advantage of alertness by going to sleep at the sound of danger?

I want to avoid using deadly force while I'm still half asleep so I think I'm going to check anything that sounds unusual from now on. I bet I can aim better after waking up for a minute or two compared to 'pillow shooting' a burglar.

I'm sure I will sleep better if I know that a noise is just a cat than if I'm not sure...

#33 ·
Limatunes,
So being comfortable in bed is more important than being safe?
Sometimes, YES!! :gah: :biggrin2:

I value my sleep (only a fellow battling insomniac can appreciate how wonderful it is to actually close your eyes and fall asleep).

Wouldn't it be better to respond to a threat pro-actively when you are deliberately awake and presumably before they are in your house, rather than trying to wake up instantly and shoot at someone coming through the bedroom door?

I must admit, sometimes when I hear a noise I do go back to sleep... but lately that just doesn't sit right. How can I justify carrying / sleeping in reach of a firearm and then abandon the tactical advantage of alertness by going to sleep at the sound of danger?

I want to avoid using deadly force while I'm still half asleep so I think I'm going to check anything that sounds unusual from now on. I bet I can aim better after waking up for a minute or two compared to 'pillow shooting' a burglar.

I'm sure I will sleep better if I know that a noise is just a cat than if I'm not sure...
You are right. It is better to check, and I can't tell you how many times I've flown out of bed with flashlight and gun in hand and made thorough checks of my home, especially when my husband isn't home.

This may sound cheesy and a bit weird but I am more lax about my safety when my husband is home than when he's away. I'm not so paranoid, I'm not as anal about checking every little ping and pang.

There are even times when he's been home that I've gotten up and checked, or deliberately kicked him out of bed to check with me if the noise was particularly odd.

I know the sounds of my apartment and I wasn't so alarmed that I thought it required clearing the apartment. Though I wasn't alarmed enough to do a search, I wasn't going to weigh all of my luck on that side of the scale, that's why I grabbed my gun.

I did compromise and I really don't see anything wrong with that, especially since everything turned out just fine. :biggrin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.