Oklahoma Laws - Page 3

Oklahoma Laws

This is a discussion on Oklahoma Laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In case anyone is interested and hasn't heard what happened with the buried 1957 Plymouth Belvedere they uncovered in Tulsa... Unfortunately, when they opened the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oklahoma Laws

M2 [OP]
    In case anyone is interested and hasn't heard what happened with the buried 1957 Plymouth Belvedere they uncovered in Tulsa...

Unfortunately, when they opened the vault last week they found it had water up over the trunk. Turns out at one point the entire capsule was completely full of water (the Tulsa flood of 1984 comes to mind of a possible opportunity), and God only knows how long it stayed there.

As such, when we saw it come out of the vault on Friday, it didn't look good. We went to the unveiling later that night and our fears were confirmed, the car iss badly rusted and most of the interior has dissolved. It was heartbreaking, but the family trip was still fun and we went up to Woolaroc, established in 1925 as the ranch retreat of oilman Frank Phillips. Lots of buffalo and Western displays, to include a sweet collection of Colt firearms. We also made it to the Oklahoma Aquarium, which had a great shark tank and lots of hands-on things for the kids to do (not with the sharks, other stuff like feeding stingrays and turtles).

Overall Tulsa was fun, nice place to visit if you are ever in the area!

As for guns, I saw the occassional 'No Weapons Allowed' sign, the Tulsa Convention Center being the most notable. I almost missed it, it was in fairly unnoticible lettering on the door as you enter. Luckily, my son saw it and pointed it out to me, so I locked my gun up in the car. Same at Woolaroc, they don't allow concealed weapons there either so leave them at home if you go.

Cheers! M2
    Last edited by M2; June 18th, 2007 at 05:28 PM.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Tulsa is a bad place to bury anything. The water tables are very high, you hardly ever see a home with a basement, and when you do, it HAS had water in it.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

M2 [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by target1911 View Post
    ECHO

can you provide a link to that for me please

this familly member is nervous about this that I was actually told not to bring any guns to the house.
    He had asked lawyer about gun laws because he lives in the country and the coons, cyotes etc....get his livestock. The lawyer (probly an anti) did his best to scare the hell outta him and did a fine job of it.
    I dont want him to be nervous or worried about it if I am armed but i will not drive all the way up there unarmed. If I have to I will just lock it up in my Truck and not tell him about it. But I dont want to have to go that route.
    Carry laws only apply to people who carry. It doesn't matter who is around you, it is the CHL holder who is responsible for the weapon. And as Oklahoma recognizes your Texas CHL, you are OK to carry there within the state guidelines; but if he tells you not to bring weapons on his property, then you are legally obligated to abide by his wishes.

As for the laws concerning guns on his private property, he should ask another lawyer as most states allow you to use a weapon on your property as long as you are outside the city limits, can shoot safely, etc. His conviction has no bearing on this, it prohibits him from legally carrying in public. Major difference in the scenarios.

Cheers! M2

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    As for the laws concerning guns on his private property, he should ask another lawyer as most states allow you to use a weapon on your property as long as you are outside the city limits, can shoot safely, etc. His conviction has no bearing on this, it prohibits him from legally carrying in public. Major difference in the scenarios.

Cheers! M2
    Negative. The Felony prevents him from owning or handling a firearm, not concealing it. He cannot own one, and cannot shoot one, otherwise someone is guilty of providing a felon with a firearm.

As long as you keep your gun under your control, he is fine... don't leave it in his car, he will go to jail if you are not there and someone finds it.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

M2 [OP]
    Yep, as long as the conviction was over a year. I stand corrected...

8 U.S.C. §922(g)(1) provides that it is unlawful for any person "who has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year . . . to possess . . . any firearm or ammunition
    Federal law allows the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms to remove firearm disabilities. However this statute has not been funded by Congress for over a decade and has thus been unavailable to anyone as a means to avoid firearm disabilities. Thus, short of a presidential pardon a federal felony conviction is a permanent bar to possession of firearms.
    Cheers! M2

VIP Member
    A felony, by definition, is a crime in which the punishment is at least one year in prison. You don't have to be sentenced to a year to be a felon- the crime just has to be punishable for that term. You could just pay a fine and still lose your second amendment rights because you are a felon.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

ANY felony conviction is a disqualifier.

A midemeanor conviction for which the applicable law provides for a prison term of one year or more, no matter what the actual sentence is, is a disqualifier.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

That first lawyer scared him so bad that he dont even want to ask another one. Just the mention of the word "gun" around him and he almost breaks out in a sweat. It is sad cuz he has forever loved guns.
    The lawyer told him that if he got caught with one it would automatic LIFE in the pin
    I did get the number to a gun friendly lawyer in OK City but he wantd to charge more money than I had, just to talk to me.

I do want to say I am sorry...I did not mean to Hi-jack this thread
    But thanks for all the info.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    In case anyone is interested and hasn't heard what happened with the buried 1957 Plymouth Belvedere they uncovered in Tulsa...

Unfortunately, when they opened the vault last week they found it had water up over the trunk. Turns out at one point the entire capsule was completely full of water (the Tulsa flood of 1984 comes to mind of a possible opportunity), and God only knows how long it stayed there.

As such, when we saw it come out of the vault on Friday, it didn't look good. We went to the unveiling later that night and our fears were confirmed, the car iss badly rusted and most of the interior has dissolved. It was heartbreaking, but the family trip was still fun and we went up to Woolaroc, established in 1925 as the ranch retreat of oilman Frank Phillips. Lots of buffalo and Western displays, to include a sweet collection of Colt firearms. We also made it to the Oklahoma Aquarium, which had a great shark tank and lots of hands-on things for the kids to do (not with the sharks, other stuff like feeding stingrays and turtles).

Overall Tulsa was fun, nice place to visit if you are ever in the area!

As for guns, I saw the occassional 'No Weapons Allowed' sign, the Tulsa Convention Center being the most notable. I almost missed it, it was in fairly unnoticible lettering on the door as you enter. Luckily, my son saw it and pointed it out to me, so I locked my gun up in the car. Same at Woolaroc, they don't allow concealed weapons there either so leave them at home if you go.

Cheers! M2

sounds like you all in all had a good trip , claremore ,north of tulsa on route 66, has the davis gun museum well worth the price of admission . (donations last time i went) .

the car thing was neat , suprizing how far reaching it was people from everwhere heard about it . stories about it are still number 1 downloaded .

anyway come back again

elance

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links