LimaTunes Got Me Thinking!?!?! - Page 2

LimaTunes Got Me Thinking!?!?!

This is a discussion on LimaTunes Got Me Thinking!?!?! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am just the opposite of a lot of people here. I'm lucky if I get much sleep at all at night. it isn't terribly ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am just the opposite of a lot of people here. I'm lucky if I get much sleep at all at night. it isn't terribly unusual for me to get up 2-4 times and walk around the house.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    For me it was having kids.
    I Nam i once slept through a motar attack.
    Once I had a kid a feather would wake me up.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Start spending time camping by yourself in the hills. You will start training yourself to know when somthing is prowling about and when it is safe to sleep. Animal instinct takes over.

Dog

Get a dog.

Talk about heavy sleepers.

A while back, some of my buddies and I had a "boys weekend" where we went to WV and got cabins close to a range.

One of the guys was coming in late so we told him to bang on the door and we would let him in.

Well. . .long story short, he came in around 2AM after we all went to bed. He yelled as he approached the cabin, he banged on the door, and eventually tried to open it since no one responded.

When he tried the door, it was unlocked (not real smart of us). When he entered the cabin, he was greated with a symphony of snoring.

He set up his cot in the living room, and went to bed.

We had enough firepower in that one cabin to defend most of the free world, but if he had been a bad guy, we would have been toast.

Maybe I do need to get a dog.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    A mouse fart in the next county wakes me up. I'm such a light sleeper that I have to have a fan or some other constant noise making machine to mask other sounds so that I'm not constantly waking up.
    You sound like me. I have a 24" garage type fan right next to the bed because I can be kept awake by a watch ticking on a glass top vanity in the other room. I'm not worried about intruders going unannounced though because I have two bassett hounds that live in the house.

Administrator
    I wake up very easily.
    I'm not sure how you could train yourself to be a lighter sleeper though.
    I wonder if that's possible?
    Anything is possible I guess.
    I'm sure someone has probably written a "How To" book on the subject.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I think it boils down to what your used to

You guys that are sound sleepers, is you wife the opposite?

A freight train won't wake me, but the alarm will every morning. I sleep even sounder during a major thunder storm. My wife is like Lima, a mouse fart will do it for her. I guess subconciously I depend on her & the dog if there is a problem.

Now, on the flip side, the few times the wife & I have spent apart, well......lets just say those damned mouse farts can be annoying in the middle of the night. BTW, we've been together for 25 yrs tomorrow.......that's alot of good sleep for me.
    Tom
    NRA Life Member
    S&W M65 LadySmith 357Magnum
    Ruger SP101 3"bl. 357Magnum

I am such a dysfunctional sleeper. Takes hours to fall asleep. HOURS!

And I have fans. Some things can wake me rather quickly but other things I sleep right through. We have a Coon Hound and a Bassett Hound so when they get aggitated I or my wife will wake up.

They definitely have distinct barks that totally different from them barking at normal things dogs bark at and the Out of the Ordinary ALARM bark which can wake me up in an instant.

But I can be totally exhausted and when I hit the pillow I am instantly wide awake for the next 4 hours, so consequently when I do finally fall asleep, I'm out for the count. At least for the next 4 or 5 hours.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    I use to use a noise maker to sleep.until about 2 years ago. There are lots of recks on this highway, Ive had to get up too many nights to help people ( or try to help people, some were beyond help ). So I like it to be quiet so I can be aware of whats going on.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I sleep with mechanical assistance (Bi-Pap machine) I don't hear a thing. I always have a pistol on the nightstand... I just wonder if I would ever have time to use it. The good news is that I am not asleep that much. I keep real late hours and am up early.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Right now we have our two dogs and my daughters dog living with us. Or is it we living with them? I'm somewhere between, I sleep well but wake up to unusual sounds (at least the ones I hear). What?
    FL-CWL congrats on your 25 year mark. My in-laws are observing 60 in about a week.

VIP Member
    Get a dog

A mouse fart in the next county wakes me up. I'm such a light sleeper that I have to have a fan or some other constant noise making machine to mask other sounds so that I'm not constantly waking up.

Anything louder than the fan in my bedroom and I'm as awake as if someone lit a fire under my feet.

I don't know how I got that way, but on a counter note, my husband slept through Three large glass bowls being broken in the next room. Our cats knocked them ALL off of the counter top in the middle of the night.

I was up in two seconds, COMPLETELY awake and alert. John was still snoring and even when I tried to wake him up, it took him at least another 30 seconds to understand what I was saying to him.

I think it's just nature. I don't know if you can change that.
    You guys sound just like me and my wife. She wakes at the slightest sound and I sleep through just about everything.
    We had a shelf in our closet fall off the wall in the middle of the night, it was overloaded...my fault....and it apparently made a heck of racket. She thought a small plane had crashed into the house. I slept right through it. She had to shake me awake. Then I was pretty wired and had a hard time going back to sleep.

Sometimes I wish I could be a little more of a light sleeper too.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Anything louder than the fan in my bedroom and I'm as awake as if someone lit a fire under my feet.

I don't know how I got that way, but on a counter note, my husband slept through Three large glass bowls being broken in the next room. Our cats knocked them ALL off of the counter top in the middle of the night.

I was up in two seconds, COMPLETELY awake and alert. John was still snoring and even when I tried to wake him up, it took him at least another 30 seconds to understand what I was saying to him.

I think it's just nature. I don't know if you can change that.
    Same here, I sleep on a razor's edge. Even in REM sleep, the slightest sound (i.e.,footsteps) in another room even through my closed door will wake me up and I am instantly awake. I live with my brother and he seems to think it's PTSD and keeps on asking my why I sleep in DEFCON 4. He thinks it's kinda funny (and it is) because I wake up yelling, "WTH is going on?!" The sleep disorders don't help much because if I wake up after even an hour or two of sleep I am awake for the next 24 hours. I used to sleep a little more soundly, especially when I lived in the city of Richmond, I lived two blocks from a firehouse. The one way streets forced the fire engines to return to the house using the same route every time right past my bedroom window and they always had to downshift and use the jake brake for the red light at the corner of my block. Between the fire engines and police chases down Cary St., the noise hardly ever woke up me.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links