Travel through Canada?

This is a discussion on Travel through Canada? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be going on an extended trip from Florida to Alaska and return. Part of the trip will, by necessity be through Canada. Anyone ...

Thread: Travel through Canada?

Travel through Canada?

I will be going on an extended trip from Florida to Alaska and return. Part of the trip will, by necessity be through Canada. Anyone know the drill on transporting firearms through that area. I would most likely have a shotgun and a couple of pistols with me. I could just stash them in the RV but would feel better if I was legal. Thanks.
    When in doubt...empty the magazine

"Those who hammer their guns in to plows will plow for those who do not"
    -Thomas Jefferson-

2. Remove Ads

I don't know about rifles but the pistols are a no go. I tried a few years back and they wouldn't let me in...
    Hoplophile

Pistols are definitly a no-no.long guns,you have to get a passport now and a slip of paper saying that you had them over here before you go into canada.I would ckeck at the border patrol office. sj

I came across this website when I was planning a road trip up to Alaska

Canada's Gun Laws for Americans-

http://panda.com/canadaguns

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    glembe:

That's a very informative website and a great resource.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Taking a pistol into Canada is a great idea if you are interested in paying heavy fines, having possible jail time, and donating your car to the Canadian government...they'll get it all, and you will be a big time loser...

Don't take firearms into Canada without reading the written requirements...long guns are tricky, and pistols will cause BIG problems!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The transportation of handguns in and through Canada is just a definite no-no! Arrangements can be made for rifles and shotguns but make the arrangements well in advance of your trip. When I did it they took my rifle and put a device on the trigger with a seal which I had to present, unbroken and untouched, when I left Canada. It is a royal pain in the --- and my advice is, either avoid Canada or don't take any firearms in.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

pmt
    Quote Originally Posted by dairycreek View Post
    The transportation of handguns in and through Canada is just a definite no-no! Arrangements can be made for rifles and shotguns but make the arrangements well in advance of your trip. When I did it they took my rifle and put a device on the trigger with a seal which I had to present, unbroken and untouched, when I left Canada. It is a royal pain in the --- and my advice is, either avoid Canada or don't take any firearms in.
    You think that's a pain in the ---? Try living here Please don't avoid Canada, we're really not that bad - those of us that aren't I'm looking forward to retiring soon and moving to a place where I can see lots of and

All info pertaining to bringing firearms into Canada can be found somewhere in this mess.
    http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/default_e.asp

More specifically here:
    http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/info_for-r.../default_e.asp
    USP9 CUSTOM SPORT (X2)
    HK34FTCB
    P7PSP
    Left handed compliment:
    "...if one is going to carry an underpowered pistol he should carry the neatest and handiest one available, and that is the Heckler & Koch P7."- Col. Jeff Cooper

Wow good luck, i got detained for several hours because i had some plastic squirt guns. And yes they were bright yellow and orange.
    Don't try to sneak them in, you may make it into canada but remeber you still have to make it back to america. And they randomly search vehicles(especially rvs i've found)
    Good luck
    -mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

It's about as bad as NYC, but at least they speak an understandable dialect of English (the Canadians, that is).
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    It's about as bad as NYC, but at least they speak an understandable dialect of English (the Canadians, that is).
    Ha. Did you ever try to understand that Fringlesh
    Be very afraid of a man with only one gun.
    Beer the cause of and solution to all lifes small problems.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
    911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer

http://www.ronpaul2008.com

NO handguns? Perhaps that explains the following:

"Crime up in nearly every province and territory

Crime rates increased in all provinces and territories, except Ontario and Yukon, where they remained virtually unchanged. Double-digit increases were reported in Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Manitoba and Prince Edward Island.

Oh and this. The poor Canadian taxpers were told their gun control program would cost C $ 2 million. Seems the cost has swollen to C $ 3 billion.

When we last drove through Canada (a year ago), the kind lady at the border told us that we could've just showed up with the guns and we'd have done the paperwork on the spot. One fee ($25?) for the whole pile. Can't remember if there was a way to pay to take handguns through, e.g. locked up with a government seal to be inspected on the way out or something. Probably not. But overall, the Canadians were really quite friendly. Either way, I don't bring guns to or through Canada but just take them in luggage on a plane when I fly over. Oh, and don't drive through the main ports of entry ...pick one off to one side or the other if possible. It can be very SLOOOW at the border, and slow borders mean grumpy border agents...

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    NO handguns? Perhaps that explains the following:

"Crime up in nearly every province and territory

Crime rates increased in all provinces and territories, except Ontario and Yukon, where they remained virtually unchanged. Double-digit increases were reported in Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Manitoba and Prince Edward Island.

Oh and this. The poor Canadian taxpers were told their gun control program would cost C $ 2 million. Seems the cost has swollen to C $ 3 billion.
    And they blame the United States for the guns that DO get in, but I won't mention that. It's called pandering on the part of the government... If governments stuck to just what they are supposed to do and nothing more, then maybe things would be a lot better. Serve the people? Represent the people? Say whut? In any case, Canada is my second favorite country and the people there have always been great. It's the government that I don't like (and I don't feel too warm and fuzzy about ours either...)

Brian

Thanks to you all for your very informative responses. Screw em, I'll take the ferry.
    When in doubt...empty the magazine

"Those who hammer their guns in to plows will plow for those who do not"
    -Thomas Jefferson-

Links