Officer shot by gun kept under pillow {Merged} - Page 2

Officer shot by gun kept under pillow {Merged}

This is a discussion on Officer shot by gun kept under pillow {Merged} within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm guessing the gun involved lacked an external safety. somnambulist A son of a what??...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Officer shot by gun kept under pillow {Merged}

I'm guessing the gun involved lacked an external safety.

somnambulist
    A son of a what??

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post

Just my 0.01 cent. (while all the rest of the world is charging more, I'm lowering my prices )
    Now your working for Wal Mart too? Thats like 5 jobs now, isn't it?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    This is a prime example of why firearms should be stored in some manner that covers the trigger and guard. A holster fills this role nicely, and, if mounted properly, also keeps the muzzle of the gun pointed in a safe direction.

I hope that officer doesn't have any lasting effects besides a good firearm safety story.

I think its a risky proposition for me to sleep with a gun under the pillow regardless of the kind of safety it has.

When I sleep, I toss and turn and get into all kinds of contortions (the dreams must have been good ones!).

Seems like it would be real easy to knock the safety off. As far as pulling the trigger, it doesn't have to be your finger that pulls the trigger. Material from the pillow case or pillow could cause that to happen easily.

Nope. . . .I'll keep mine in the GunVault. A couple of quick pushes on the right buttons and its in my hand.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

New Member Array doubletappinfool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Nope. . . .I'll keep mine in the GunVault. A couple of quick pushes on the right buttons and its in my hand.
    I agree! and I honestly wouldn't be even slightly suprised if this was a CYA story, though accidents happen, I hope the best for her.

I now have two gun vaults mounted to the bed. one under (backup 9mm, 2 mags and flashlight) and one mounted on the side of the bed (Primary, locked and loaded, with two extra mags in a clip on mag holster and my LED Tactical light)(I am always stupid about redundancy)

I live in the city and honestly my section of town is about as safe as one could ask for but to me the danger is very clear and present.

My Siberian Husky is my early warning.
    My younger brother lives with me and he and his gun vault kept S&W Sigma are my backup.
    I train with the vaults like I train with ALL my defensive firearms. RELENTLESSLY!!! Multiple positions, multiple worse case senerios, etc.
    I know many respectable people who are very competent shooters and feel safe in their ability to defend their home/family. Though they have never once trained themselves on the fire lanes, and best clearing methods of their own house.

IMHO Nothing replaces safety and CONSISTENT, REALISTIC training.

Just food for thought...

Tom

Close but no cigar--she almost qualified for a Darwin Award.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I bought one of these from RM Holsters. Easy to access and a fast draw.

---
    It is said that the nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.

The only thing I worry about with gun vaults...is the same as any other safe. Do you really feel confident you can get into it literally in a flash in the middle of the night when your adrenaline is pumping and your hands are shaking and in the dark? Personally, I don't think I could, which is why I trained myself to sleep with my 1911. Everyone says they're so quick to get into (and they are) I won't argue that under NORMAL conditions. Not any sort of attack, just my opinion.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by article
    Officer shot by gun kept under pillow
    Tue Jun 12, 4:52 PM ET

"She sustained an extremely serious wound to the left wrist and underwent surgery (Sunday) night," Cheek said. "Everything indicates it was just a freak accident. She apparently sleeps with a weapon under her pillow, and somehow it discharged.

"We train on gun safety and we stress gun safety, but even the people who handle guns for a living, accidents happen," Cheek said. "We just stress that firearms are not toys, and even people experienced with firearms occasionally have accidents."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070612/...er_pillow_shot
    (bolded text added for emphasis)
    Right, it just "went off". "Honest, I was just cleaning it!"
    Guns don't just go off unless they are inherently unsafe. I don't think the .40 S&W round has been around long enough for there to be many examples of poorly made firearms in that calibre because the gun mfgr.'s have high standards nowadays. I don't call that an accident, I call it negligence. In my line of work, an accident can get hundreds, if not thousands killed.

I started sleeping with a DA pistol in Condition 2 next to me without a holster. (This part may be confusing to some so I will try to explain it as best I can.) That lasted about two nights until the second night I dreamt that I was having a dream that someone had broken into the house and I had woken up shot him/her/it. But since it was a dream, I thought, "Hey that wasn't as loud as I thought it would be," and at that point I woke up from the dream I was having in the real dream (it was a dream within a dream) and I was holding my pistol and supected I had just somnabulatorily fired it. In the dream I awoke into from the dream where I had shot somebody, I started looking at for the hole in the wall or ceiling and that point was when I really woke up. I didn't have the pistol in my hand, so I started by checking the mag was still full and smelling the barrel and checked the walls and ceiling. Nothing had happened, but I had succeeded in scaring myself into always putting my pistol into a holster at night, even an Uncle Mike's paddle. I don't keep it under my pillow, but it is within easy reach.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I use a hoster that attaches to the bed frame. I'd be afraid to actually have the gun IN the bed. Duh.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Holster on the nightstand for me.

VIP Member
    My sleepy time gear is a fanny pack. It has a gun, 2 mags, a light, a folding knife, and the cell phone in it when I go to bed. It isn't something I'd wear during the day, but since I am less than dressed when in bed it is the only way I know of to ensure I have everything I need if I have to get up and move RIGHT NOW.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I still don't see why keeping your gun under your pillow is unsafe. I sleep alone, with two pillows. One under my head, one on the other side of the bed. My pistol is always unhostered, under the other pillow ready to go. I always point the muzzle away from me. How in the world can I accidentally fire my gun this way? I think all these pillow stories are from stupidity or unsafe handling and then people making up CYA stories afterwards.

New Member Array doubletappinfool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    The only thing I worry about with gun vaults...is the same as any other safe. Do you really feel confident you can get into it literally in a flash in the middle of the night when your adrenaline is pumping and your hands are shaking and in the dark? Personally, I don't think I could, which is why I trained myself to sleep with my 1911. Everyone says they're so quick to get into (and they are) I won't argue that under NORMAL conditions. Not any sort of attack, just my opinion.
    Packinnova, I have to respect that statement 100% I relate that to someone who is a remarkable shooter but would choke when a human being is on the other end of their muzzle, or worse, when they are are the other end of a muzzle.

Police and military are trained heavily in attempts to prevent that. Though I would say the military does a better job by putting live rounds over your head in a controlled situation, you still know that they don't have your name on them and thus it is still only so real.

IMHO the best thing you can do is to train until it is second nature and with the max number of variables as possible. Only then do you stand a solid chance of preforming when your body is suddenly flooded with more chemicals then Kieth Richards and Ozzy on a binge...

I hope I'm never proven right or wrong.

If youre going to sleep with a gun under your pillow, make it chamber empty. I cannot figure how she made the gun go off, other than through her having night terrors or something.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links