Officer shot by gun kept under pillow {Merged}

This is a discussion on Officer shot by gun kept under pillow {Merged} within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by c3ks I bought one of these from RM Holsters. Easy to access and a fast draw. +1 I made my own. Notice ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Officer shot by gun kept under pillow {Merged}

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c3ks View Post
    I bought one of these from RM Holsters. Easy to access and a fast draw.

+1

I made my own. Notice the flashlight in the now irrelevant magazine holder.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    My gun is on my dresser a few feet away...I want to make sure I am coherent when I grab it so I make sure I have to actually get up out of bed...for me, the risks of grabbinga gun in a sleep stupor and making a bad deadly decision far outweigh having the gun a few feet away...

Hey im a sonofaballistic too!!
    Well i move around alot when i sleep apparently (wife calls it barrel rolling) I do occasionlly roll on my stomach and shove my hands under the pillow. That is why a pillow gun is a nono for me. That position change could "shove" the trigger and cause nightmares for everyone! My night time medicine is a holster nailed to the bedside table.
    sweet dreams
    -mac
    wow all this schtik is making me sick....ha that rhymed
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    I was glad my Model 65 was hanging like that last week.

One night some DH rang my doorbell at about 11:30 PM. I was starting to fall asleep and I've never woken up armed and ready to go so fast.

I shone the light around where my security lights don't reach and never saw anyone. Must have been some pranksters, but like I told my wife "what if they weren't".

My wife, who used to be very skittish around guns (and a borderline anti) now realizes the value of weapons in the right hands.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I would use a holster just out of the fear that in a dream I might grab the gun and fire it! How much would that suck?!

(Not that I do the somnambulism thing, though.)

(Look it up.)
    A man in our town slept with a .44mag, one night some one entered his bedroom and was taking his wallet when he shot the BG in in the hand. Unfortunately, the shooter is missing half a finger.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    My Kimber is in the nightstand and is within reach without leaving the bed. That's close enough for me...
    With two dogs at the foot of the bed, we have plenty of warning of someone's attempt to enter the house.
    I would never have a weapon under my pillow...OMO.

Stay armed...sleep well...stay safe!

ret
    Gee, retsupt99, that's my life down to the two dogs and even the make of gun. I suppose the "we" includes the significant "other", too, who also has a CCL!

Correct me if I am wrong, but "BANG!" always has to be preceded by digital or some such pressure on the trigger. A gun just doesn't autonomously discharge...
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

I would say that if you feel you must sleep with a gun under the pillow, I would recommend the possibility of keeping the gun with an empty chamber.

Now for those of you who say, but what if the intruders on top of me and have one of my arms pinned down?

I say, that's what the sights are for... rack the slide on the side of the attackers face and you're ready to fire. (Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark!)

Seriously, I would never sleep with gun under pillow. Too restless a sleeper, and 90% of time I sleep on my side with arm under pillow.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I haven't tried it (and am not going to) but do you think it's really feasible to rack a slide on, say, a GLOCK or whatever by raking it along the side of a guy's face? I am skeptical; I also don't know how serious you were about that. Anyone ever tried it?

well I was kidding a little bit... Kind'a.....

I have racked the slides on both my 1911's (stock sights) and Glock with Mepro night sights on my pants pocket and gun belt and side of holster when doing drills as if you are injured or shot in one arm and needed to operate slide. We do that drill occasionally in our swat training. (so if you hooked the rear sights on the corner of the guys mouth, where top and bottom lips meet, maybe... )

If it doesn't work, I bet he lets go of your other arm for a second or two, and don't be surprised if you find a couple of his teeth in your bed afterwards.

If you are going to try it the way I described using the edge of your pants pocket, gun belt or edge of holster mouth, I would practice with empty gun without magazine in gun so the slide doesn't keep locking back. I haven't tried it on my XD with XS sights yet as I've only had it two weeks and haven't done that drill in a while.
    Last edited by Bark'n; June 13th, 2007 at 11:19 PM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I think under the pillow is a little too much for me. I can see a holster on the side of the bed or something similar. I keep mine on the nightstand within reach. That's close enough while im sleeping.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Ok, the gun is in a holster, it's under your pillow. To me that is totally safe, but their is one thing wrong with this. What if in the middle of the night you need to get to your gun quick, and inadvertently during the night you have knocked your gun onto the floor "NOW WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO". Having your gun floating around your bed in a holster or not to me is not a good idea. I put my gun in the same place every night, so I know were it is at all times.
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

me
    Quote Originally Posted by c3ks View Post

Just a thought about these type of holsters folks. IS anyone sleeping beneath you. In my case yes, My parents room is beneath mine, this would be an unsafe muzzle direction. In my case the way my night stand is set up (to far to reach) the only place I can put a gun is under my pillow. Mine are left loaded with one in the pipe and HOLSTERED. I have practiced drawing from them and the holster stays while the gun is drawn. I have to at times sweep my sisters room (through a wall) but Have decided this is the safest trade off as if placed else where they would be constantly aimed either at my bed, her room or our folks room and these are all unacceptable.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

me
    Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    Ok, the gun is in a holster, it's under your pillow. To me that is totally safe, but their is one thing wrong with this. What if in the middle of the night you need to get to your gun quick, and inadvertently during the night you have knocked your gun onto the floor "NOW WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO". Having your gun floating around your bed in a holster or not to me is not a good idea. I put my gun in the same place every night, so I know were it is at all times.
    My temporary holster is an Uncle mikes. It is where my gun rides at night under my pillow. It has not moved yet. when I get my Brommeland holster in my Uncle Mikes will keep this job.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I keep My Taurus 945 under the Mattress on top of boxsprings. It has a thumb safety and is double action. Have kept it this way for years, never had it go off.

Lead Moderator
    I feel that between the mattress / box springs or in a rigged holster are the best places for a loaded gun. Loose under a pillow, even with a holster can easily move during the night.
    I also will not sleep with a C'N'L gun beside me . I think an AD while half awake is too easy. But everyone needs to decide for themselves.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links