Defensive Carry banner

Out of State purchase

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  maclean3 
#1 ·
I am a Va resident travelling to Ga for a few weeks. Should I see a gun that I want in Ga is it legal to make a purchase even though I live in Va?

#2 ·
For moderm firearms if you bring a signed copy of your transferring FFL's license and have them ship it to that FFL it is fine. Otherwise, no. You could arrange it when you are there I suppose as well, depending on how well you know the dealer handling the VA side of the transfer.

When I travel out of state and suspect I may be shopping around for something I get a signed copy and take it with me.

Oh also if it is black powder or an air gun you are ok. Are you a C&R licensee? Then a C&R is ok.

I'm sure I didn't cover all the bases, but for modern long arms you cannot purchase and take possession in another state not contiguous to your own and transport it back to your home state. For handguns you cannot do that period, must go through an FFL in VA.

#3 ·
I'm sure I didn't cover all the bases, but for modern long arms you cannot purchase and take possession in another state not contiguous to your own and transport it back to your home state. For handguns you cannot do that period, must go through an FFL in VA.
I was under the impression that the contiguous state rule had changed and now you can buy a long gun in any state (from an FFL) as long as it is legal in your home state???

#6 ·
type 03 FFL also known as the curios and relics collecting license. it is $30 good for 3 years and lets you buy C&R clasified guns without having to transfer through an FFL. It also entitles you to dealer prices at a lot of places so lots of people get them just for the discounts.

#9 ·
you can go to www.atf.gov and request an application be sent to you. then you fill out the app, send the gov. $30, send a copy to your local CLEO (they don't need to do anything...you just have to notify them that you are applying with a duplicate applicatoin) then sit and wait. Some places take months some areas get them back in a few weeks. All depends on what part of the country you are in.
There is a lot more information online about the rules and regulations associated with an 03FFL but many people consider them to be very much worth the $30 fee

#12 ·
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.2C2

There's a link to the code. Looks like VA requires that a dealer do a check with the VA state police to sell you a firearm, but later they say you can buy a firearm anywhere so long as you follow the rules of that state.

So I will default back to my answer of consult the General's office in VA (we call the State Attorney General the General) and ask for their reading of the law. As usual it looks confusing. I know that the VSP used to require dealers in contiguous states to file a form for access to the VA inst-check system. After the NICS came on the scene it changed. Possibly it has changed again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.