People have zero sense of security - Page 2

People have zero sense of security

This is a discussion on People have zero sense of security within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIXTO It is a rule in my house that we dont buy anything from anyone who knocks on the door, calls on ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: People have zero sense of security

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It is a rule in my house that we dont buy anything from anyone who knocks on the door, calls on the phone etc. If I want or need any product, I'm smart enough to figure out how to get it without someone telling me I need it.
    I live by the same rule.

I always answer the door, because I know how it feels to be stuck, stranded or in need of help and I must rely on a good samaritan's hospitality to procure a phone call. This doesn't matter too often anymore because of the advent of cellular phones, but I live on a rather busy main road, and accidents occasionally occur. It's far easier for me to dial 911 on my home phone (and will probably be a faster response) than if someone dialed it on their cell.

Besides. I am not a prisoner in my own home. I refuse to be afraid of anyone or anything who knocks on my door. This isn't to say I'm not cautious, but as a general rule, I don't ignore people who ring the bell or knock. Frankly, I admire people who do business in person, and not over the phone or internet.

That said, I'm in the process of getting two wireless network-ready cameras (motion-activated!) to install, one at my back door and one at the front.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Administrator
    Its not out of fear, but out of annoyance. If I want a salesman to come to my home, I'll ask for one to come out.

I view my home as a sanctuary from all the garbage we are bombarded with when we are out and about. It really makes my skin crawl when someone feels they need to interupt my day off to try and sell me something I dont want, and if I did want it, I would already have it, or at least know where to get it.

Then we have the safety issues to look at. 99.9 percent of the guys who sell stuff door to door I wouldnt trust to clean up the dog droppings in my backyard. Why would I want them standing on my porch, talking to my anyone in my family?
    "Just blame Sixto"

My front door has a window and behind it is me with my gun and my barking lab. Nobody I don't know is invited in I don't care what they are selling or how much they want me to pray with them. I once stopped at a farm house to ask if a stray dog I had found was theirs. I could see an older lady and her granddaughter in the kitchen. She opened right up to me. When I was leaving I told her you really shouldn't open your door to complete strangers. Not in this day and age anyway.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I live in a condo..you'd be surprised how many peple who exit the building allow entry to someone waiting out front by the sentex...most people will not confront a stranger by asking "Can I help you?" So they just hold the door for them...probably how the homeless guy got in who lived in our sauna for 2 days..

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    Besides. I am not a prisoner in my own home. I refuse to be afraid of anyone or anything who knocks on my door. This isn't to say I'm not cautious, but as a general rule, I don't ignore people who ring the bell or knock. Frankly, I admire people who do business in person, and not over the phone or internet.
    Well, to me it's not a matter of being "afraid" or a "prisoner." Just a simple matter of recognizing that today, there are people who use this kind of ruse to gain violent entry into one's home. I will not open the door unless I believe I know that the person is legitimate. If I feel that they are a potential home invader, I will arm myself behind my locked door, loudly announce that they must leave the premises immediately, no discussion, watch for signs that they do, and possibly get on the cellular phone to the police.

It's not living in fear. I don't live in fear. I live in preparedness, with a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveLeather View Post
    I live in a condo..you'd be surprised how many peple who exit the building allow entry to someone waiting out front by the sentex...most people will not confront a stranger by asking "Can I help you?" So they just hold the door for them...probably how the homeless guy got in who lived in our sauna for 2 days..
    He must have looked like a RAISIN by then!

Ok i need to interject. I OWNED an in home business. Not all of them are bad. Some people were very happy to be able to call me and me send someone personally to their home. Some things can be done very well in person. I didn't sell coupons or sweepers. My guys made nice visits and drank coffee and ate cookies with some very nice people. Most where happy to meet us. And i'm sure they were all smart enough to buy without a home visit. If we got too busy I had did calls myself. I even had other business cards made so people wouldn't know I was the owner. That business paid allot of bills for me and made me a very respected part of the community. Not a pest.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

I agree with the other salesmen on this thread. 99.9 of us are nice guys doing our job. I sell organic lawn, tree, and shrub care. Talking to a person at their home is a great way to sign up clients simply because i can show them what is wrong with thier landscape and what i (or them) can do do rememdy the situation.

Here is a idea for people that don't want unwelcome salesmen ------------> No Solicitors <------------

Sometimes from the grumpy door slams I get I think that I should sell these signs door to door!
    If you have this sign, i will not knock on your door. If you have this sign and someone knocks on your door, then do the scary dog thing or the barred door and gun at ready thing.

-mac
    Last edited by Macattack; June 15th, 2007 at 08:53 PM. Reason: derrr
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

I let my GSD answer the door for me. She has a lot more patience for the church people than I do.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    I let my GSD answer the door for me. She has a lot more patience for the church people than I do.
    Thats because God loves a good GSD too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Some criminal's will actually get official looking uniforms in order to complete the deception.

I read about one serial killer whose name has escaped me. He cut the telephone wires of his target home. He then went to the door in an official telephone repairman uniform. Once inside he pretended to "fix" the telphone. He then attacked the mother and her children killing all of them in a very gruesome and sickening fashion that I will not describe on this site.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Some criminal's will actually get official looking uniforms in order to complete the deception.

I read about one serial killer whose name has escaped me. He cut the telephone wires of his target home. He then went to the door in an official telephone repairman uniform. Once inside he pretended to "fix" the telphone. He then attacked the mother and her children killing all of them in a very gruesome and sickening fashion that I will not describe on this site.
    Which is why I do not let my wife let any repairman in while I am not home. I will take off from work if need be, and I will follow him around the house while discreetly armed.

99.9999999999999% of those guys are working stiffs like you and I. But I want to be there when Mr. .0000000000001% shows up.

ratman... beware of the person who answers the door with a magazine or newspaper in their hand.... there just may be a gun under it. lol see my posts under the thread "Home Invasion" to see what I'm talking about.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    99.9999999999999&#37; of those guys are working stiffs like you and I. But I want to be there when Mr. .0000000000001% shows up.
    Wow! Your math works out! That's some precise work, there!

And I agree.

But what of getting the wife trained, competent to use a home defense handgun, and shaping her up to do what you would be doing? Is she not interested in her own security? Hopefully she's not one of the who just trust that everything will always be okay without any effort...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links