People have zero sense of security - Page 3

People have zero sense of security

This is a discussion on People have zero sense of security within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey Wow! Your math works out! That's some precise work, there! And I agree. But what of getting the wife trained, competent ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: People have zero sense of security

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Wow! Your math works out! That's some precise work, there!

And I agree.

But what of getting the wife trained, competent to use a home defense handgun, and shaping her up to do what you would be doing? Is she not interested in her own security? Hopefully she's not one of the who just trust that everything will always be okay without any effort...

That's why my wife goes armed.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Hey Sixto;

I found out that if you put a chalk outline of a body on your front walk and scatter around some coupon books that those guys never show up again. Of course you need to maintain the chalk outline, but it is worth it.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Misfit View Post
    Hey Sixto;

I found out that if you put a chalk outline of a body on your front walk and scatter around some coupon books that those guys never show up again. Of course you need to maintain the chalk outline, but it is worth it.

Thats a pretty good idea, I might use paint instead of chalk.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I had a post about a year ago where I got my laptop stolen right out of my kitchen while I was home. I had mentioned that my Labrador was an aweful watch dog. Now, he has become a lot more aggressive about people coming to stop by. It helps that we also have a standard schnauzer now too. Not the biggest dog in the world but he sure does have a lot of heart. The lab is about 110 and the schnauzer is 35-40lbs. Between the two of them, people who knock on the door are usually a little afraid. This is a good thing IMO. If someone wants to come in my house, they will be well aware of the two dogs. They are sweet hearts but at the same time I have confidence that they would also be quite vicious if I needed them to be, especially the schnauzer.
    When I hear the doorbell ring I usually assume it is UPS with something new and neat that I ordered. More mags or ammo...
    However, I have def. got in the habit of having a gun with me when I go to the door no matter what. Getting robbed in broad daylight enlightened me to the bravosity of some of the local S%&T Heads.
    Dogs and a gun help make my home safer. As long as I can help it, I dont want to be without either!
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

bae
    Quote Originally Posted by ratman57 View Post
    A note to you dog owners; I own a big dog. I love dogs. I would probably take a pretty good bite before I did anything foolish to hurt a dog especialy if he's just doing what dogs do to protect their home and master. He doesn't know any better, you do. But you won't have to pay the ultimate price, he will.
    If you propose to open the gate to my property, which is marked "No Trespassing, No Solicitors", walk on down the road towards my home, open the near gate by the house and walk up to the door, and then hurt my dogs for defending that space....

Well, you'd best rethink that.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I have this guy that shows up at least 2 times a year and wants me to buy his cleaning agent. He proceeds to start cleaning everything with this crap and a toothbrush. All the while explaining how "green" and nontoxic it is. The real selling point is when he takes the spray head out of the bottle and licks the siphon tube that leads to the sprayer.

Last year I noticed that he was missing some teeth in the front. Hmmm. I told him that i didn't believe that it was really cleaner and that I wanted to smell it. After spraying some on my hand (yep cleaner) I said "ok, open up" and sprayed 5 or 6 really good sprays in his mouth. He kinda winced.. gaged and then snorted. I said "I guess you're right it must be nontoxic". I waited another 5 mins or so and then told him that I wasn't interested, but thanks for the demo and for the small polished spot on my door handle and the brick and the driveway.

My wife scolded me for being so mean. I thought it was funny.

I haven't seen him yet this year.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    Last year I noticed that he was missing some teeth in the front.
    Might be a current or former Meth head since he is missing some teeth. He may be using the little cleaning solicitation as a way to size up what folks have in their homes that he could come back for later and do a B&E when everybody is asleep or not at home. Many Meth heads steal to support their habit.

Anyway just a theory and I could be well off the mark. Just something to think about.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Might be a current or former Meth head since he is missing some teeth. He may be using the little cleaning solicitation as a way to size up what folks have in their homes that he could come back for later and do a B&E when everybody is asleep or not at home. Many Meth heads steal to support their habit.

Anyway just a theory and I could be well off the mark. Just something to think about.
    Very plausible. I guess after using meth, how is a little cleaner in the mouth gonna hurt ya.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by jhfox462 View Post
    ...I had mentioned that my Labrador was an aweful watch dog. Now, he has become a lot more aggressive about people coming to stop by. It helps that we also have a standard schnauzer now too. Not the biggest dog in the world but he sure does have a lot of heart. The lab is about 110 and the schnauzer is 35-40lbs. Between the two of them, people who knock on the door are usually a little afraid...

I've always wanted a Giant Schnauzer! I think they are way cool dogs and of substantial size and mass. They also worked as guard and war dogs in Germany but also have good dispositions.

My watch dogs are a 70 lb. Blue Tick Coon Hound and a 50 lb Bassett Hound. Probably not great guard dogs... but awesome watch dogs! They go absolutely ape $#^@ at anyone who approaches the house and their barks, howls and snarls are down right scary. (and often very annoying!)
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I have seen the sales thing from both sides...sorta.

When I get home I don't want to be bothered. I haven't had the ringer turned on, on the house phone for years. If it weren't for internet, and the occasional fax, I wouldn't have a land line at all. Anyone who knows me and would ever have a need to reach me knows my cell phone number.

Sales people, who turn up, get told politely that we don't purchase anything from solicitors, and to have a nice day.

Those who don't take the hint, are told a bit less politely to move along and I close the door.

I have yet to have one stay long enough to find out exactly what the response time of the local PD is,
    The worst one was a few years ago. My wife answered the door, and the guy wouldn't leave. I told him to move along, and started to close the door. He blocked it and started trying to push it open. When he did it I thought for sure he was up to no good. All I knew is he wouldn't leave, and when I tried to close the door, he was trying to force it back open. It turns out he stuck his foot in the door, while wearing cheap open toed sandal/ flip flop type shoes. When I closed the door and it resisted I pushed harder, he reacting instinctively tried to extricate his toes, which quickly degraded into a test of strength he had no hope of winning. I was bigger, and he only had one leg to get leverage with. It took a few seconds before he could vocalize what was happening and a few more before they registered and I let up enought for him to yank them free. Apparently the pain from my 250lbs frame and all the lower body strength I could muster pinching his toes between the door and frame, , made him see the error of his ways. At least he has never been back. LOL! I’ll bet that is one sales tactic he doesn’t use anymore.

The flip side of this is, my job sometimes forces me to do "sales calls". I avoid them like the plague. I have even taken time off without pay or accepted out of town work to avoid them. I hate to be pestered by anyone trying to sell me something I don't want or need, and I certainly don't enjoy doing it to anyone else. When I show up, I apologize up front for disturbing them, tell them who I am, hand them a business card, a couple of pens with the company logo and phone number, and then make a break for the door. My only consolation is that they are businesses where we have usually done some work at some point in the past. Surprisingly I have drummed up a fair amount of business this way. Not as much as my partner who seems to approach it with a bit less guilt than I.

I guess it is the way I am wired, or maybe I got it from my dad, who was much the same way. He was a lot more aggressive about it than I am though. Circa 1984 I watched him bodily toss the Primax window salesman out the front door and over the rail surrounding the porch, followed closely thereafter by his sample case.

To our resident salesmen, I am glad to see that there are still honest guys out there making a living at what they do, and apparently enjoying it. But when you see that “No Solicitars” sign, or hear me say “thanks, but no thanks”, please move on. We are some of the friendliest folks you will ever meet, but you aren't going to be selling anything here anyway.
    Last edited by GoodSamaritan; June 18th, 2007 at 05:04 AM. Reason: half asleep

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    If you propose to open the gate to my property, which is marked "No Trespassing, No Solicitors", walk on down the road towards my home, open the near gate by the house and walk up to the door, and then hurt my dogs for defending that space....

Well, you'd best rethink that.
    Hey bae,

I'm going to take the opportunity of your post, but I'm talking to everyone out there who makes any attempt to discourage strangers from knocking on their doors.

If you would think about it, I'm looking to make a sale. To do that I have to form some sort of relationship with that person. With all of your signs and your big dogs why would I even slow down at your house. If when you open the door you appear surly or God forbid say no you are not interested I'm gone in a flash. Always with a smile and a kind word about something.

Where I live neighbors still talk to one and other. If I'm just driving around indicriminately ******* people off and goading their watch dogs into a snarling frenzy they would be standing at the ends of their driveways with pitchforks and shotguns to make sure I didn't even slow down

I didn't think I was going to make so many enemies with this post. I'm just the smiling grey haired fat man that sells high end food to people that it makes sense to, to buy that way. My only intent was to comment on how lax the security in the average house in my area was. I did not mean to disparrage anyone on this forum's security, nor their preparedness, nor their big dogs.

This is me shutting my big mouth.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Ratman, you haven't made any enemies here. At least not from me. Your observations on people's lack of security was also welcome.

Lets face it, some of us look at the world differently. I am glad you are able to prosper doing what you do.For what it's worth I have eaten some of the steaks the local door to door meat salesman sells. It was pretty tasty.

When the guy shows up next time I will still tell him "no". I just refuse to do business at home. I don't have a problem with salesmen, unless they won't take no for an answer, and NO is always going to be my answer.

As a humourous side note, I stopped the local Jehova's witnesses from coming around by complete accident. I answered the door with a Bible in my hand. When he started talking, I started a friendly little debate with him. He suddenly decided he needed to be elsewhere. Now I don't even get those little sacks with copies of awake,in them on the doorknob anymore. I guess they figure I am a lost cause.
    Last edited by GoodSamaritan; June 18th, 2007 at 09:24 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links