Dog Incident - Page 3

Dog Incident

This is a discussion on Dog Incident within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Years ago, when my knees were still good, I did a lot of running. I always carried a lightweight club to ward off dogs. It ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dog Incident

Years ago, when my knees were still good, I did a lot of running. I always carried a lightweight club to ward off dogs. It was a thin walled aluminum tube that would have bent if I clubbed anything but it would have put a hurt to the nose of a charging dog. It probably wouldn't have helped against a trained attack dog, but I was encountering family pets who could more easily be persuaded to suspend their attacks. Today I would run with a telescoping baton.

If I were regularly going out for walks, I think I would carry a walking stick or cane. Also, some dog biscuits in the pocket might be the best non-violent way to respond to that pesky guard dog. He might soon be your best friend.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Having owned German Shepherds and Dobes, they are territorial. Mine did not bother anyone until they started to come in the gate to my yard, then all was needed was to let them know it was alright for that person to enter. IF the dog leaves his property to attack someone then that dog is fair game - mine, yours, or whoevers. They are as fast as greased lighting and if they take you down you are in trouble.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
    Forget trying to talk to the dog's owner.
    Yeah, if the guy wasn't a cretin, his dog wouldn't be a menace, most likely.

Years ago I lived in a semi-rural area of Texas and a neighbor had a mutt that sat out by the road barking every night. Once just after midnight, I couldn't stand it any longer and called the guy's house. His teen-aged twerp son answered and I politely asked if they could keep the dog quiet. The son hung up on me.

A few minutes later my doorbell rang and I opened the door to find the neighbor on my front porch ranting about "How dare you call my house at this hour of the night and not identify yourself, etc, etc."

I told him that if he'd teach his kid not to hang up on people, maybe he'd find out who was calling - besides, he must have known or why would he be standing on my porch? When he started to get nastier, I ordered him off my property, but he doubled up his fists and came toward me saying, "Oh, you're a real big man aren't you?"

At that point I merely moved my right hand out from behind my leg so that he could see the .357 snub nose I'd been holding all the while. Without pointing it at him, I said, "Keep coming if you want to die tonight."

The guy stopped as if he was frozen, whirled around, jumped into his pick up and left. I never heard another peep out of him or the dog for the next six months until I moved away.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by harley91 View Post
    . Now, in this situation would I have been justified in shooting the dog if it came close to us or would it have just caused too many legal problems in the state of Texas. I being a good CCW was carrying by having my Kimber CDP Ultra II in a fanny pack and or my XD 9sc when we walk. Any info would be appreciated.
    The dog was doing what dogs do; protect their territory. You ask if you would have been justified in shooting the dog "if it came close to us." If by close to us you mean that the dog actually jumped over the rock wall and you reasonably believed that it was about to attack you and your family, then I have little doubt that you would have been within your rights to shoot it. But, if you are saying that the dog stayed on its property, and simply followed you as you walked then IMO you would have no right to take the dogs life.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links