Pro carry and 2A students

This is a discussion on Pro carry and 2A students within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just wondering how many of us are students, I am currently working on my Bachelors in finance, I have had many opportunities to ...

Thread: Pro carry and 2A students

Pro carry and 2A students

I was just wondering how many of us are students, I am currently working on my Bachelors in finance, I have had many opportunities to share my views on being Pro Second Amendment and Pro-Carry. I am sure many of us have written papers on this subject. If that is the case and you wouldn't mind sharing your papers, PM me and I will send you my email, I will collect them and send them to anyone who would like copies.

2. Remove Ads

I'm a pro-2A graduate student. I can (and do) carry at school thanks to Utah's excellent preemption law. However, I have never written a paper on the subject, nor even mentioned it to any of my fellow students or professors. If someone else brings up the subject, I just try to keep my mouth shut (though it can be hard sometimes). I'm planning on pursuing a academic career, and given the generally liberal bent of most universities, I've decided to keep my 2A views and interest in firearms as low profile as possible. I don't want to apply for a faculty position somewhere and have someone on the hiring committee say, "we can't hire him, he's some kind of gun nut."

I don't blame you I actually go to a private school in Utah, most of the people I deal with are all working professionals , some are LEO's, and they carry all the time. You would be right to protect your image in a scholastic setting, I would hope though in Utah you would be able to be open about firearms, but it doesn't hurt to protect yourself. I just get ignored because I'm "that redneck from Wyoming". A badge of honor I wear proudly.

JD student in Private school in Ohio (sitting in Colorado - I look out the window and see a 14k peak...)

Never wrote a paper - not allowed to carry beyond securing it in a parking lot.

Some know, some don't

I just graduated from the OSU. Can't carry on campus there.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Part of a group on my campus for concealed carry on campus, its not allowed as of yet, but we are working on it, the school is breaking the law of the state and US by not allowing CC... Entering my Jr year majoring in Engineering.

I don't get to carry on campus. It is bull. Stuff like the VT shooting could have been a lot better if there were some students carrying.

I'm also a graduate student, and although it is legal to carry on campus here, since I teach I'm a state employee, and by executive order cannot carry in the course of my duties. Never wrote an article because I'm in a scientific field that has nothing to do with the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    I'm planning on pursuing a academic career, and given the generally liberal bent of most universities, I've decided to keep my 2A views and interest in firearms as low profile as possible. I don't want to apply for a faculty position somewhere and have someone on the hiring committee say, "we can't hire him, he's some kind of gun nut."
    Excellent advice for anyone planning on remaining in academia. I have (very reliable) second-hand knowledge of a job interview where everything was going well, until the customary dinner with the job candidate. This was in 2001 just after the previous year's election, and the job candidate made some small remark that was interpreted as "pro-Bush" (I don't remember the exact comment, but it was along the lines of "it's good it's settled" or something like that). The faculty exchanged looks and did not make a job offer. Keep in mind this was a science department, not a "peace studies" or similar department.

Despite all of their (our) talk of freely expressed opinions and open exchanges of ideas, this just isn't so. Just look at student reactions to campus speakers based on political views.

My 20 year old son is as I was.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I am an MBA student in Colorado and we can carry here. It goes by school rule. Our rules only say that they will notifiy DPD if we have an "illegal weapon" and since mine are all legal I'm good to go. CSU and the Larimer County Sheriff even encourage CCW

Man, except for Sheldon's son, I am on the only one NOT working towards the Bachelors or the Masters. I feel a little special ed here.

I am working towards my Associates in Nursing. Work two years so that my GF (already RN) can get her Masters in Nursing, then I can go back to get my Bachelors. Hopefully, time allowed, probably go back, AGAIN, and get a Bachelors in Computer Science or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by skippythenurse View Post
    Man, except for Sheldon's son, I am on the only one NOT working towards the Bachelors or the Masters.
    PhD candidate here, actually.

"Grad School: It seemed better than getting a real job"

Grad student here...I can open or conceal carry on my campus.

...well, I'm doing my Masters online --that may have something to do with it.

I have to do a one or two week residency in Vermont next June and then "walk" in December (2008)...so I think I'm good to go...

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Undergrad student at ERAU - Prescott, AZ. I won't go into whether or not one should or if I would carry on campus at my school. However, I know many people that do. I've mosted many times about the estimated numbers of students who keep and own firearms on campus. Rather than dip into it again, I will suffice to say that my school and its faculty is VERY Pro-2A - going so far as to offer a 300-level class called "Personal Security & Defensive Skills."
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    I'm betting my BS in Engineering. I don't really have to write many papers with this major, although being in agriculture lets me be open about my opinion on firearms without too much trouble.

I only carry on vacation and when traveling to other schools where carry is permitted.

Links