Macho CCW's.

Macho CCW's.

This is a discussion on Macho CCW's. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not the newest or most original of subjects but - hey - wanna get thoughts from you guys here. I notice from time to time ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macho CCW's.

Assistant Administrator

Macho CCW's.

Not the newest or most original of subjects but - hey - wanna get thoughts from you guys here.

I notice from time to time - (on THR I have seen this now and again, and other gun boards too - well, actually maybe too often for my liking at times) .... folks are (seem) way too keen to come up with something like ''Awe well - I'd cap his a$$''!!! Even in very borderline scenarios.

Now for me - carry is serious business - by which I mean - it requires (?mandates?) responsibility, discretion, and hopefully the ability to not only determine threats fast ( as well as see them coming) - but - the ability also, and the desire - to get the heck outa Dodge if possible. That said - my prime motivation whatever - is safety and survival (of me and mine) - that's a given.

It concerns me not a little when folks go ''macho'' - maybe it is a keyboard warrior deal - I hope so. I am not happy tho to hear that someone is all but itching to shoot, when quite possibly there are other alternatives. After all, shooting a person (BG or not) is hardly a recreational pursuit! Let alone dealing with the sequele.

Does this sometimes bother you? I prefer that our ''image'' - that of the responsible law abiding citizen - is not unnecessarily tarnished. Heck we have a hard enough time as it is maintaining our image as being good and wholesome.! I do prefer ''low key'' if possible.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1952 - 2006
    I agree with you whole heartedly on this point Chris. There have been a couple people that I started to teach who would comment something like, "Boy, when I get my CCW I won't have to take that crap from people anymore". I emphasize to them that by CCW you have to be willing to take more crap than ever because of the responsibility you take on by carrying a firearm. If they don't understand that immediately the class and my instruction come to a rapid halt.
    The CCW community has enough enemies without giving them fodder with which to confiscate and destroy our constitutionally and God given rights to defend ourselves from predatory creatures.
    I haven't seen that occur in our little community here and that is one of the reasons I'm still here.
    Responsible behavior is a must when you are going to carry firearms and Bumper, as well as the other mods do a great job in keeping that sort of attitude from invading this forum.

Just my .02 worth.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Administrator

Very Good Thread Topic

It's kinda nice not having that over here.
    It's a very common expression on some other forums.
    A Word To The Wise...For All Folks Who Carry:
    Use a little bit of common sense concerning how you talk to the people around you & the people you work with ~ etc.
    Ideally, as few people as possible should really even know that you carry.
    And running around talking about who you are going to "Cap" in the ARSE if you are ever bothered or attacked or robbed is a big "no no" ~ Your words could come back to bite your very own ARSE.
    Remember that your "macho talk" could very likely come back to haunt you because if you are ever involved in a legitimate self~defense shooting (especially if it is a fatal shooting) then probably everybody you know is going to get interviewed & if your own "fateful words" don't nail you in the criminal court...they sure probably will in the follow~up civil court.
    Remember that any shooting where somebody dies is treated as a Homicide until it's later determined to be self~defense.
    That should be reason enough to not let your mouth get ahead of your brain.
    Yeah...I know ~ This is America! ~ Freedom Of Speech.
    The "reality of today" is that it's also an America filled with liberals & lawyers & mixed up judges & whiners & freeloading crybabies.
    I'm sure that you don't want your life in their hands..in court..deciding your future.:indiffere
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Not just with guns. I hear the excuse "What else could I do?" as an excuse for just wanting to get a lick in. "Chest thumping" is here to stay. We must just always set good examples.

Assistant Administrator
    mouth get ahead of your brain
    Too true QK - too true. I do tho hope that much of what we see is in fact the armchair quarterback macho syndrome - in majority of cases I will be optimistic and assume (hope) so. I have little doubt that in real world (meaning non-cyber!) - guys who spout this crap may well have it come back and bite them. Not to mention what damage it does our cause.

Few know I carry at all - and those who do, and even my shooting club buddies, know pretty much the opposite. Meaning - I carry as absolute last resort - it is merely my ''life fire extinguisher'' - it is no more than another form of life insurance. I'd rather keep paying premiums than ever cash it in or claim! It is the simple expedient of expediting my innate right to a means of self defence. I do this 16/7 too - it is not IMO a casual deal. No appointments are usually available for emergencies!!!

I do wonder (and my early career training was medical) - if some of these folks have a clue as what bullets do!!! Sure - handguns are lame compared with rifle but - to treat the shooting of another as being about as insignificant as plopping a BB their direction - well, time to fess up and see the real picture.

I actually have a fear of being shot - quite simply because I know what damage can occur - plus the not always easy job of repairing same. I will say tho - advancing years does help dispell any concerns over ''cowardice'' - I sure am well prepared to run if at all possible!

Survival at any cost!! (Dare I say too - law suit avoidance LOL)
    Chris - P95

DC Founder
    I absolutely agree with all that has been said. If it ever happens, the macho "chest thumpers" and "Internet ninjas" will most likely be responsible for us all having our rights stripped. It bothers me more than a little when I hear their crap. I raise my glass to instructors like acparmed that will end the class for the irresponsible few.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Assistant Administrator
    Quite forgot to mention ... the last two NRA basic pistol courses I coached - some folks there who expressed interest in moving on later to carry - were rational and sensible folks - with zero macho intentions. That was in itself encouraging and reassuring.

In July we (the group of us instructors running these courses) - are running an NRA Personal Protection course - which will take on people from the basic courses - and bring them on to more carry-relevant issues. That course has to - by default - have a lawyer or LEO there for part of it - to bring out the legal aspects. I shall not be expecting any problems there with the groups we have had.

So maybe - hopefully - this is in part at least a ''web thing''. I have only had one young guy at the range who expressed the macho desire - and a fairly brief ''lecture'' soon got that out the way!! As ever - education, with younger guys in particular, is I think essential. Responsibility can be impressed.
    Chris - P95

I think a lot of the machismo is fueled by the relative anonymity of the internet, and the opportunity to cultivate a persona to go with the handle. People talk a good game, but reality is very different from the net. Said and Did aren't even brothers.

One of the major reasons I joined this board was because the bravado was mostly missing. There is rational discussion of firearms and carry-related issues and concerns. One of the things that impressed me most was that, although the scenarios are imaginative, the possible alternative solutions always include creative, peaceful solutions. That says a lot about the folks, here, but it says more about the attitude.

There is a difference between the warrior and the wannabe. The keyboard rambo mentality is troubling precisely because it is the internet and so accessible. That means that anti's can go to the gun boards and find exactly what they need to bolster their perceptions of firearms and the carry community. People are much more willing to believe bad than good, and bad is easier to remember. The keyboard rambo makes rational discourse difficult. The whole concept and mindset of concealed carry is "low key."
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Machismo and firearms are fine by themselves. But when combined it could be a recipe for disaster.
    John Moses Browning and Eugene Stoner were the Albert Einstein's of the Gun Industry!

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Tom357,

I totally agree. Sharing information should be the main resason that people come to forums. I'm getting really sick of the posturing I see on other boards. You have to applaud Bumper and Betty for making our stay here pleasant.

I look at forums the way I look at restaurants. You might enjoy the menu and return often. Then the chef changes or the crowd rotates and the food and climate are just not how you want to spend your time and money.

Every few months I go through my 'favorites' list on my computer and delete any forum that no longer suits my information needs or is just a waste of time. I'm discussing this issue now with another forum friend. You hate to think of yourself as "my ball, I'm going home," but since I started my own business time is at a premium.

I sit at my computer now researching product and then laughing in the forums. If I sign on to a place and find myself 'wincing' then it's time to go. Sometimes you don't consciously make the decision, you just stop going.

Summer is around the corner; I'm hitting CCW and VTF more and more. What can I tell you, it's guns and bikes. And I have enough friends there to use up all of my time.

Your post insults me Tourist.

We must kung fu fight! I'll defeat your Guide Gun and barstool with my trusty TEC 9 and long braid of paracord!

We meet on the field of honor at dawn!

Read: The mall parking lot at 4:30 PM.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom357
    I think a lot of the machismo is fueled by the relative anonymity of the internet, and the opportunity to cultivate a persona to go with the handle. People talk a good game, but reality is very different from the net. Said and Did aren't even brothers.

One of the major reasons I joined this board was because the bravado was mostly missing. There is rational discussion of firearms and carry-related issues and concerns. One of the things that impressed me most was that, although the scenarios are imaginative, the possible alternative solutions always include creative, peaceful solutions. That says a lot about the folks, here, but it says more about the attitude.

There is a difference between the warrior and the wannabe. The keyboard rambo mentality is troubling precisely because it is the internet and so accessible. That means that anti's can go to the gun boards and find exactly what they need to bolster their perceptions of firearms and the carry community. People are much more willing to believe bad than good, and bad is easier to remember. The keyboard rambo makes rational discourse difficult. The whole concept and mindset of concealed carry is "low key."
    Couldn't have said it better, Tom.
    Bumper

Administrator

I Wonder Why

I wonder why shooting instructors don't go to their local Coroner And Trauma Room And get a few full color prints made of actual gunshot deaths & various exit wounds.
    You could "block out" the faces.
    It seems like they would REALLY make teaching the Safety aspect of shooting easier & the visual impact sure would cut down on the number of negligent discharges.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist
    I totally agree. Sharing information should be the main resason that people come to forums. I'm getting really sick of the posturing I see on other boards. You have to applaud Bumper and Betty for making our stay here pleasant.
    Thanks, Tourist. As I've said before, when this forum is no longer providing useful information to the members I will close the door. I have no use for trolls and people that spout that "my methods are better than yours" or start name calling. I've learned alot here, which is the reason I started CombatCarry, and hope all of you have as well.
    Bumper

I always tell my students, if like to fight don't carry a gun, if like to drink don't carry a gun. Treat others with respect, and never put yourself in a position where you have no choice. Even if you survive the situation you'll get slaughtered in civil court. Can you say lose everything. I know most people have worked hard to get what they have and can't start all over. If you can go - go
    T.A.P.S.
    Tactics-Accuracy-Power-Speed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links