Must inform LEO when carrying in VA?

This is a discussion on Must inform LEO when carrying in VA? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know what the law is or have a link to the law about informing a LEO that your carrying in a traffic stop ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must inform LEO when carrying in VA?

Does anyone know what the law is or have a link to the law about informing a LEO that your carrying in a traffic stop in Virginia? I looked on the Virginia State Police web-site and didn't come up with an answer. Packing.org has this:

Date updated: Aug 5, 2005 @ 11:44 pm

While not law to notify a law enforcement officer, Virginia CCW permit holders have a note in VCIN (Virginia Criminal Check System), so the officer usually knows when walking up on a vehicle stop if a person is/can be legally armed.

But it was last updated in 2005 and I'm not sure if it has changed or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The law has not changed as of this date.

There is no law to notify.

The CHP is referenced in the database when an officer checks the database using your vehicle plate, so he/she will know once they check the database (unless the vehicle is not registered in your name).
    Last edited by Bob O; June 16th, 2007 at 03:43 PM.

Do you guys think it is wise to inform them before they find it in the system?
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    You can't inform prior generally. It is tied to your vehicle registration. If they choose to look it is there for them. They will do this before they approach the window typically. I have been told by officers that it is on the second page of their display, so they do have to scroll down to get it. Most of the LEOs I spoke with about it seem to don't care or think it is a nice thing to do to inform them. I don't unless I would expose my gun complying with any instructions from the LEO.

BTW this is also good info to know if you let your kids drive your vehicles or a non-permit holder spouse. My director's son was pulled over and the deputies kept asking him where the gun was. Needless to say he was perplexed.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I haven't had the experience yet - hope I never do, but I don't plan on telling if the occasion arises.

1. I figure what they don't know won't hurt them (or me).
    or
    2. If they bring it up then I'll respond in a direct and polite manner.

So your saying that in VA, if you get pulled over and you are carrying, you don't have to notify the LEO?

In OK, if we get pulled over by LE, we are supposed to hand over the usual, DL, Registration and Insurance as well as our CCW license, if we are carrying. At least thats what was told to us during my CC class. Any other Okies agree?
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Quote Originally Posted by HnKuspDude View Post
    So your saying that in VA, if you get pulled over and you are carrying, you don't have to notify the LEO?

In OK, if we get pulled over by LE, we are supposed to hand over the usual, DL, Registration and Insurance as well as our CCW license, if we are carrying. At least thats what was told to us during my CC class. Any other Okies agree?
    It's a state-by-state thing. In VA it's NO!

don't have to say anything in wa. But if the officer tells me to get out of the car, then ill let him know. Surprises are not good
    -mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

If pulled over, I plan to present my permit to the officer along with the DL. The police are the good guys. It's OK to let one of them know that you have a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    If pulled over, I plan to present my permit to the officer along with the DL. The police are the good guys. It's OK to let one of them know that you have a gun.
    I'm with you on this one...even if OK didn't require you to, I would still inform.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

No need to tell them, but I would hand over the permit when asked for my license.

While your car license plate run will show up. For some of us it will not. For instance my car is not registered in my name. My parents still own the registration (yeah yeah, I know. I pay all the fees but its still in their name) so when I am pulled over it will not show my carry permit and my name.

Which is another reason why I will hand over my permit to them. You may just get lucky on it as well, as you may get an officer who likes to talk shop.

JD
    Administrator
    Also, if your a non resident, and they can't find out before getting to your car it's a good idea to show your "permit" with your liscense and registration.

VIP Member
    Jut handing them the permit over is probably not going far enough. I'd open my mouth and say "Officer, I have a permit and am carrying a concealed weapon." While keeping my hands on the steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by HnKuspDude View Post

"The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I know we are talking about Virginia, so I am just pointing out how Missouri has simplified it and made it clear.

You are NOT required to inform any LEO you are carrying when interacting with them, but you MUST inform them when asked!

So, it is encumbant on the LEO to ask if you are carrying a weapon.

Now since Mo's CCW license is issued through Dept. of Revenue, when LEO's run your license plates on a traffic stop, it does come back that the licensed owner of that vehicle has a CCW endorsement, so they will have that information when they approach your car if they wait for dispatch to respond to their records check before approaching your car.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I livein VA and have handled it both ways

I've been stopped at license checks and sobriety checkpoints, with the family and alone, and haven't informed officers that I was armed. I'm not required to tell them in Virginia and it hasn't been a problem. At those times they weren't running the tags or drivers' licenses.

Last year I was stopped for speeding; I'd left the interstate and was on a wide two lane country road and was talking more than looking at the speedometer.

I knew as soon as I rounded a curve and saw the cruiser that I was going to be stopped. I slowed and waited for the officer to catch up and pulled right over when he turned on the lights. He took a short time to come up to the truck, and I know he ran the tag during that time and knew I had a permit. As he got to the door I had my driver's license and permit in hand and gave them to him. I explained that I was talking to my friend and my son and still had the "interstate mindset", and apologized for speeding.

He went back to his car and ran the license, came back up and said to slow it down and be careful, and let me go on my way. I don't know that having the permit or letting him know I was armed, or just plain being polite, apologizing and accepting responsibility for messing up made him decide not to give me a ticket. I don't really care which one of those things, or all of them, affected his decision, but we were both satisfied and had a good day. Thanks again, Officer, if you're reading this.

Know the law where you are, whether in your home state or traveling. Treat the officer like you'd want to be treated if your positions were reversed. Everyone has a better day and goes home safely.
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links