Jeb Signed !!

This is a discussion on Jeb Signed !! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday,the governor signed into law the "enhanced" version of the "Castle Doctrine". This will allow Floridians to protect themselves in public places such as their ...

Thread: Jeb Signed !!

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar

Jeb Signed !!

Yesterday,the governor signed into law the "enhanced" version of the "Castle Doctrine". This will allow Floridians to protect themselves in public places such as their place of buisness or Wally World. Now we don't have an obligation to retreat/run if you feel that your being faced with death or great bodily harm. We have always had this right in our homes or vechicles but the new law extends this right to public places as long as we have the right to be there. The bill says the person has"the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force,including deadly force if he or she reasonably belives it is necessary to do so,to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another". I would suggest the you Fla. CCW'ers make sure that you know and understand all the places where we cannot carry a weapon. I feel that this will be heavily enforced. Again,----WAY TO GO FLA.

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    I hope this catches on with other states and I hope we take the time to give the legislators that voted for this type of legislation an "attaboy" letter or email and the ones that voted against it a "sorry you strayed from the flock" message.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Assistant Administrator
    Way to go - absolutely.

Of course... all the usual cries of ''rivers of blood'' - shot up neighbors .... yada yada yada. I think folks easily forget - anyone who uses lethal force, even when ''sanctioned'' - is gonna come under deep scrutiny regardless. This is no ''free lunch'' for trigger-happy dudes - not IMO.

It quite simply strengthens the law in favor of legit' SD instances. Sure would not have me prowling in my Mall Ninja suit - looking for a target rich situation!!

Seriously - I do hope it goes smoothly and that there will not be idiots who abuse it and so prove anti's hysteria well placed. That would be disasterous.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Congrats to Florida....the new law simply states things as they should be!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I'm jealous. In Wisconsin, any use of a firearm, whether they are there at the time or not, is assumed to scare lesbians, and hence a hate crime.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    I hope this catches on with other states and I hope we take the time to give the legislators that voted for this type of legislation an "attaboy" letter or email and the ones that voted against it a "sorry you strayed from the flock" message.
    It won't catch on in Montana, not until 2007, at the earliest. As many of you know from my frequent rants on this subject, our nearly identical legislation was defeated by the Democrat majority in the State Senate. I attribute the defeat to the refusal of the NRA to support the legislation in its initial stages.

The legislation passed the House, although heavily amended, but retaining the "no duty to retreat" provision. The State Senate Judiciary Committee (controlled by the Dems), voted to table the bill with no action, thereby effectively killing it.

At this point, the NRA decided they would support the bill after all because the sponsors agreed to some language changes the NRA wanted. 6 Democrats changed sides and voted with the Republicans to "blast" the bill out of the Judiciary Committee for debate in the full Senate. Then when the bill came up for debate, these 6 Dems reneged and voted against it. The rest is history, as they say.

I'm still pi**ed off at the NRA for their lack of support. I'm convinced that Florida's legislation passed in large part due to its high profile support in the person of past NRA President Marion Hammer. No such high powered support in Montana.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bad-mouthing Florida, just the NRA. I'm happy that Florida's bill passed. Obviously, there's a good deal of common sense sitting in the Florida Legislature.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    It's sad that such a thing even has to be codified into law. It should be common sense.

I'm glad he signed it.

Way to go Florida!

Here in Minnesota we are fighting to try and get back our carry law that was overturned by an anti-gun judge while Florida is making gigantic headway for our rights to self protection. This should definately be the law of the land.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Links