Defensive Carry banner

Not Always Easy, But Do It Anyway

3K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  ShadeAngel 
#1 ·
When I made a personal commitment to carry a gun whenever I leave the house, I meant it, even when it’s not convenient. Yesterday I was up on an extension ladder pressure washing mildew from the vinyl siding on the North side of the house. I was soaking wet but the Glock was with me.

Last weekend I was in the crawlspace under the house, scoping out the location of a plumbing cleanout. Mr. Glock and I both bounced our heads off of quite a few floor joists as we belly crawled through that job.

Earlier, I had helped a friend clean his gutters (he’s afraid of heights and ladders). I made sure to double check how my cover shirt hung before I went over there, because I knew he was going to be standing 20 feet below me looking up. He gave no indication that he ever made me.

Tucker's “The Answer” IWB holster always held onto the gun.

#5 ·
:rofl:

What kind of shampoo do you use on Mr. Glock? Does it keep him shiny and manageable?:rofl:

#6 ·
I too work mostly outside (sweatn my tail off), I do some pressurewashing and spend time on ladders amongst other non-fun things. I carry my 642 everyday. I found some shorts I can wear that hides my gun rather well in the pocket. I havent found a time yet that I couldnt carry. Between IWB, OWB , pocket carry ,Smartcarry and a Shoulder type holster, I find a way...

#7 ·
If I walk out the door I'm carrying a gun and it stays on me everywhere except for the rare occasions when I go somewhere with metal-detectors.

I'm reminded of a quote that says something like: "If you do not carry your gun, you are choosing to be a sheep, hoping the wolf doesn't come that day."

#10 ·
Me too - doesn't matter what I am doing, where legal - it is there even if a mild inconvenience due to activity.

When super hot (like today) - it is so, so tempting to take it off if out, because it saves that extra layer of the vest or light shirt - but there it stays. Has to - I cannot predict that one time I might really need it but hopefully never.

#11 ·
I will admit that I've been known to check the mail or get the newspaper without putting the pistol on my hip. I suppose that is something I should consider changing- or at least dumping the Kel Tec in a pocket.

#12 ·
Ditto.....see below for my motto.

#14 ·
I always have something on me...that's one reason I like the P-3AT! For a quick trip anywhere, one can at least have .380 power readily available...not the normal .45, but much better than, "Please don't hurt me?"

Stay armed...24/7...stay safe!

ret:urla9ub:

#17 ·
It's kind of like playing the same number each week in the lottery. You just know that if you miss buying a ticket for one drawing, that will be the time your number is drawn, so you have to keep buying a ticket. I have that same feeling about carrying. If I don't always carry, I just know that the one time I go out unarmed is the time that I will need my gun to save my life or that of a member of my family. So, just the thought of that happening is enough to make sure that I am always armed when I am out of my house, no matter what I am doing, or where I am going.

Ron

#18 ·
Robere, I live in a very small town in a rural area. I would guess that over half the doors in town aren't locked at night. But, things happen. I think I'm going to make the decision to arm myself anytime I walk out the door.

#19 ·
I used to think I carried quite a bit ( 60%-70%?) and most of the appropriate times... Then I joined this forum!

Now I carry 24/7 except where prohibited by a LAW that imposes Criminal Action.

Even on short trips to convienence store 2 blocks away only being away from home for 5 minutes, it's no longer a problem to slip SP-101 or new XD9sc into shorts pocket if I don't want to strap on the Glock-23.

I used to think, well, I have years of law enforcement and military unarmed defense training, ground fighting training and the like, and always have at least a knife. I would convince myself that even though I don't have my gun with me, I'm still armed with my brain, and my capabilities of unarmed combat skills.

But that old saying would often gnaw at me... "When what you need is a gun to defend yourself, there is no substitute!" While that circumstance is probably the rarest of all circumstances, knowing Murphy's Law... That one time I would truely need the gun would more than likely be the one time I don't have it!

I ran a KCMO police officer who was shot and killed back in the 1980's. Other officers said he ALWAYS wore his vest! Not that night... apparently it was too hot and muggy in KC that night and he didn't have it on.

Even after that, I guess it took joining this forum to help me see the light.

Thanks everyone! Your preachings and writings and experiences have not fallen on deaf ears!

#20 ·
When I made a personal commitment to carry a gun whenever I leave the house, I meant it, even when it’s not convenient.
Definitely the right attitude! However, why limit it to "whenever I leave the house"? Unfortunately, in this day and age, violence can find us at home as well. Keep Mr. Glock on you inside the house, as well as above and below it. :wink:

#21 ·
If I have pants on...then I have a gun...unless it's illegal for me to have one where ever I am. If there aren't pants involved...then a gun is in the same room

#25 ·
My Firearms Instructor once asked me if I carried all the time, at that time I didn’t so said no. He said “that’s too bad!” Of course I said “why?” He said… “because you probably won’t have it when you need it!”

I guess you all know how fast I changed that bad habit! :rofl:

#27 ·
As I stood up and placed my S&W 638 and a speed loader in the pocket of robe hanging next to my bed, I looked over and expected some comment from my girlfriend. But instead she just smiled and said "I know, I know, you don't go anywhere without a gun, even to go get a late night snack" She smiled and asked me to get the lights.

And she was right. I don't go anywhere (legally) without at least one of my guns.

Stay safe everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.