Not Always Easy, But Do It Anyway

This is a discussion on Not Always Easy, But Do It Anyway within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by KenpoTex If I walk out the door I'm carrying a gun and it stays on me everywhere except for the rare occasions ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not Always Easy, But Do It Anyway

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    If I walk out the door I'm carrying a gun and it stays on me everywhere except for the rare occasions when I go somewhere with metal-detectors.
    Same here.

2. Remove Ads

Ron
    It's kind of like playing the same number each week in the lottery. You just know that if you miss buying a ticket for one drawing, that will be the time your number is drawn, so you have to keep buying a ticket. I have that same feeling about carrying. If I don't always carry, I just know that the one time I go out unarmed is the time that I will need my gun to save my life or that of a member of my family. So, just the thought of that happening is enough to make sure that I am always armed when I am out of my house, no matter what I am doing, or where I am going.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    Robere, I live in a very small town in a rural area. I would guess that over half the doors in town aren't locked at night. But, things happen. I think I'm going to make the decision to arm myself anytime I walk out the door.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I used to think I carried quite a bit ( 60%-70%?) and most of the appropriate times... Then I joined this forum!

Now I carry 24/7 except where prohibited by a LAW that imposes Criminal Action.

Even on short trips to convienence store 2 blocks away only being away from home for 5 minutes, it's no longer a problem to slip SP-101 or new XD9sc into shorts pocket if I don't want to strap on the Glock-23.

I used to think, well, I have years of law enforcement and military unarmed defense training, ground fighting training and the like, and always have at least a knife. I would convince myself that even though I don't have my gun with me, I'm still armed with my brain, and my capabilities of unarmed combat skills.

But that old saying would often gnaw at me... "When what you need is a gun to defend yourself, there is no substitute!" While that circumstance is probably the rarest of all circumstances, knowing Murphy's Law... That one time I would truely need the gun would more than likely be the one time I don't have it!

I ran a KCMO police officer who was shot and killed back in the 1980's. Other officers said he ALWAYS wore his vest! Not that night... apparently it was too hot and muggy in KC that night and he didn't have it on.

Even after that, I guess it took joining this forum to help me see the light.

Thanks everyone! Your preachings and writings and experiences have not fallen on deaf ears!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    When I made a personal commitment to carry a gun whenever I leave the house, I meant it, even when it’s not convenient.
    Definitely the right attitude! However, why limit it to "whenever I leave the house"? Unfortunately, in this day and age, violence can find us at home as well. Keep Mr. Glock on you inside the house, as well as above and below it.

If I have pants on...then I have a gun...unless it's illegal for me to have one where ever I am. If there aren't pants involved...then a gun is in the same room
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Alright, my words gave me away; I'm not always armed in the house, but when I come home, I don't always disarm either. Also, there's a gun within arms reach of every entrance door.

Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post

What kind of shampoo do you use on Mr. Glock? Does it keep him shiny and manageable?
    +P ert+
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I try to carry my Kel Tec around the house as much as possible too! So easy to put in the pocket.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

VIP Member
    My Firearms Instructor once asked me if I carried all the time, at that time I didn’t so said no. He said “that’s too bad!” Of course I said “why?” He said… “because you probably won’t have it when you need it!”

I guess you all know how fast I changed that bad habit!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Robere, I live in a very small town in a rural area. I would guess that over half the doors in town aren't locked at night. But, things happen. I think I'm going to make the decision to arm myself anytime I walk out the door.
    If I dont have my gun on me at the time, Its always near by. My mailbox is about 20 yards from my door. I can see a long ways down the road both ways.

As I stood up and placed my S&W 638 and a speed loader in the pocket of robe hanging next to my bed, I looked over and expected some comment from my girlfriend. But instead she just smiled and said "I know, I know, you don't go anywhere without a gun, even to go get a late night snack" She smiled and asked me to get the lights.

And she was right. I don't go anywhere (legally) without at least one of my guns.

Stay safe everyone!
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links