Az. DPS is doing a really good job!

This is a discussion on Az. DPS is doing a really good job! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been reading about the wait times for different states for CCW permits. I was on the the DPS CWPU website yesterday and was pleasently ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Az. DPS is doing a really good job!

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar

Thumbs up Az. DPS is doing a really good job!

I've been reading about the wait times for different states for CCW permits. I was on the the DPS CWPU website yesterday and was pleasently suprised by this.

How long will it take? Applications are typically processed and permits issued/mailed within three days of receipt. However, if you have not received your permit within 10 business days, please call our office or email us.

It took about 15 days to get my permit a year ago.
    It would seem that concealed carry is alive and well in Arizona, I also noticed a pending reciprosity with Pennsylvania, among other states.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

2. Remove Ads

They are indeed doing a great job. I received mine 2 weeks to the day from when I mailed it (this month). From here and on other boards I haven't heard of any states issueing that fast.

Now, if we can just get SB 1251 to the Governor, we can hope she signs it (not holding my breath).

Anyway, nice post, and I totally agree, the CWPU is doing a great job!

Dave

VIP Member
    It amazes me. AZ gets the permits in a couple of weeks- but has a difficult time getting some pro-gun/defense issues through. Here in Oklahoma they're going to take at least the 90 days they have by law, and probably longer. But, if just about any pro-gun law that makes sense makes it through and is signed with little problem.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I mailed my AZ CCW app in on Wednesday, June 6th and got it yesterday, Saturday, June 16th.

My card says that it had been "issued" on June 15th (the day before). Pretty good turn-around I'd say. I figure that's about six business days. Man! I LOVE this state.

I told the little woman that my license was "special". I don't think she bought it.
    Don't forget to bow as the chariot passes.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    It only took me a few days. I dropped mine in the mail and received it with about 2 weeks turnaround.

As far as pro-gun legislation... Just because AZ's gov't doesn't always know what's going on, DPS seems to have a good clue. I know they're out there but I can honestly say I've never met a LEO out here who was anti-carry. The few out here that I actually know both have vey nice collections, too.

Reciprocity? Arizona will honor any other states permit to carry from what I understand. Go us!
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Well, they've gotta do something to make up for that asinine "no carry where alcohol is sold for consumption, period" rule, right?

So you can very quickly get a permit that doesn't allow you to carry in a very normal place.

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Reciprocity? Arizona will honor any other states permit to carry from what I understand. Go us!
    I honestly DO think it's awesome... But, because of this, I'm letting my AZ permit expire because I already have permits from several other "AZ approved" states.

I wonder how long it will take the AZ DPS (and state government) to realize they'll be losing money from honoring "everybody".

If AZ is going "reciprocal" with all other states, DPS should not waste the time of issuing CCW permits and adopt the Vermont/Alaska policy of "NO PERMIT/LICENSE NEEDED", provided the person is of age and can own/purchase a handgun legally in accordance with federal laws.

Alaska's policy applies to EVERYONE who is in the state...resident, tourist, etc. Not sure about Vermont, but the NO PERMIT NEEDED still applies.
    Last edited by fludy12; June 17th, 2007 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I mailed my AZ CCW app in on Wednesday, June 6th and got it yesterday, Saturday, June 16th.

My card says that it had been "issued" on June 15th (the day before). Pretty good turn-around I'd say. I figure that's about six business days. Man! I LOVE this state.

I told the little woman that my license was "special". I don't think she bought it.
    How's that BP ten II workin' out for ya?

Took mine out last weekend with the 10 and 13 rd magazines and had a great, no malfunction, time.

Mailed my application on the 4th. Got my permit yesterday (15th).

As for the 'no carry where alcohol is served' prohibition - I agree! I've written two letters to the Governor, explaining why I think there should be a distinction between bars and restaurants that serve alcohol. I asked what her reasons were for vetoing a past bill that made such a distinction. She's signed some good bills recently, maybe she would be open to some compromise.

I suggest others write her. If she receives a large number of CIVIL letters, it might make a difference. PM me if you would like copies of the letters I sent. I wouldn't mail them verbatim, but they could provide a starting point.

15 days VA.....22 New Hampshire

AZ was less than one week.

Class on first Saturday in January
    App mailed on Sunday
    Permit received on following Saturday

This snowbird is moving to AZ full time as soon as possible. The peoples Republic of Illinois is full of leftys and welfare folk.

I received my Az permit in only 6
    business days,that's pretty dam
    quick compared to some states.

I received mine in about 10 days after mailing. Very impressive.

My wife just got hers today. Sounds like she had one of the slow ones at eighteen days.

Quote Originally Posted by skvinson View Post
    I suggest others write her. If she receives a large number of CIVIL letters, it might make a difference. PM me if you would like copies of the letters I sent. I wouldn't mail them verbatim, but they could provide a starting point.
    Any chance you could post a copy of that here?
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Quote Originally Posted by fludy12 View Post
    I honestly DO think it's awesome... But, because of this, I'm letting my AZ permit expire because I already have permits from several other "AZ approved" states.

I wonder how long it will take the AZ DPS (and state government) to realize they'll be losing money from honoring "everybody".

If AZ is going "reciprocal" with all other states, DPS should not waste the time of issuing CCW permits and adopt the Vermont/Alaska policy of "NO PERMIT/LICENSE NEEDED", provided the person is of age and can own/purchase a handgun legally in accordance with federal laws.

Alaska's policy applies to EVERYONE who is in the state...resident, tourist, etc. Not sure about Vermont, but the NO PERMIT NEEDED still applies.
    That doesn't apply to residents of AZ. If you live here and carry concealed, you have to have an AZ permit. Plus it's only $65 every 5 years. That's only $1.08 a month!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links