CHL course instructor never carries!

This is a discussion on CHL course instructor never carries! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for the replies. I should clarify that this class was the bare minimum "competency-requirement" course required in Oregon to get a CHL. Primary topics ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CHL course instructor never carries!

Thanks for the replies.

I should clarify that this class was the bare minimum "competency-requirement" course required in Oregon to get a CHL. Primary topics were how to safely load, unload and store a handgun. No actual CCW techniques were covered other than "this is an IWB holster." I've also taken more extensive NRA-sponsored courses in handgun use (but it is not required by law to have done so).

Tomorrow morning is my appointment to "apply" for a CHL. So, 45-days from tomorrow, I'll be legal!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    When I was a rookie LEO one of my first discoveries was that all cops don't like guns! CAN YOU IMAGINE???
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    When I took my CC class it was taught at our police academy. All the instructors are police instructors. One is a local chief. He said he never carries off duty. He feels our area is safe enough so their is no need.However he did add that when traveling to the larger cities in our state he always carried.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

18 years in uniform carrying openly and I never had to resort to the defensive sidearm. Not even once.
    Off duty, in civilian attire, I carried concealed, everywhere, everywhen.
    On three occasions I had desperate need of the persuasive friend who could argue loudly and powerfully in my behalf.
    Had I not been carrying concealed, in civilian attire, on each of those occasions, I would not breathe air today.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    One officer I know said he won't carry with with family so he won't feel obligated to intervene if something happened and put his family at risk.

Wow... Color me Confused with that one!

What is he going to do to protect his family when they are the target? Blow his rape whistle?

I've never felt "Obligated" to intervene on someone elses behalf just because I was armed. I would think that the one time you would want your gun is when you are WITH your family.

I would sure hate to attempt to take on 3 thugs who are saying vile things and suggestions towards my wife without a gun in my pocket!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Maybe he has deadly hands and a black belt

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by still442 View Post
    Last week I attended the competency training course at my local Sheriff's office. I was surprised to learn that the instructor, a volunteer deputy and firearms instructor, never carries a weapon when off-duty.
    He doesn't carry off duty because his method of self-defense is "avoidance", "don't be there", and "stop short of the car ahead of you at traffic signals." His big plan is to stay out of the bad part of town.

He doesn't carry at home because his wife and daughter "know where the gun is" and they can all get to it if they need it. Even if it is in a zippered fanny pack in the bedroom dresser drawer.

He has 16 rules on how to protect yourself from your own gun and zero rules on how to protect yourself with your own gun. As in rule number one: Carry always, even off duty, even when you're on the good side of town, and even if you know sheriff karate.

Whoever your instructor was would fit in nicely in my liberal town where he could go on gun-free bike rides with a former police chief mayor.

Do yourself a favor and take a CCW specific class (NOT at the sheriff's office this time) or login here frequently.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by still442 View Post
    Last week I attended the competency training course at my local Sheriff's office. I was surprised to learn that the instructor, a volunteer deputy and firearms instructor, never carries a weapon when off-duty.

Is this in Multnomah County, by any chance? My son got his Oregon permit about a month ago, and he told me the same thing about his instructor.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I sure hope I dont step on any toes with this post but I believe and speaking the truth, but a little thought. I am from the school that there are two types of mentalities in law enforcement. Those working a job and those working a career. Those working a job are there for a paycheck and hang up their gear as soon as they go 10-7. Those working a career realize that they have chosen a profession and are prepared to step in if the situation is serious enough to stand up (like the off duty officer in the mall shooting in Salt Lake city).

For me, I seriously wonder about an officer who packs up all his toys when he goes 10-7. Its their choice, but I never choose to partner with one of them. Its just speaks about their commitment in my book.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    If I knew that about the instructor ahead of time, I would seek instruction elsewhere. Period.

That's rather like buying life insurance after a particularly convincing sales pitch by a guy who doesn't own a dollar's worth of it himself.

I'd be asking myself, "If it's as worthwhile as he's saying it is, why doesn't he have it, himself?"

Sounds like your dude there is a weirdo. Or not too bright. Does he figure that the only time he might ever need a gun is when he's not playing the part of the civvy?

Smile 10-7

Fed W Sig: I always thought that a sworn office is never truly 10-7.
    24-7 on duty was the way I was raised. Every human has a duty to step in and protect the innocent, and a sworn officer has an even greater duty even when "off-duty". Maybe I was raised wrong, but that is still the way I live my life, and raised my children.
    BTW Fed w Sig, thanks for your service and what you do for us.
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    One officer I know said he won't carry with [his] family so he won't feel obligated to intervene if something happened and put his family at risk.

Aaaand, what if something happened to his family?

Has he thought of that, I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Yes it does, but the key word is "justified," which is a subjective concept. You may well be correct that his department discouraged it, although I didn't get that impression. From the conversation, I thought that it was a personal decision on his part.

Ron
    Well, it certainly doesn't sound like his heart is in being a cop.

I don't care much for the idea of people becoming cops when it, to them, is just a paycheck. I know they're free to, but if I were selecting the officers to be on the force, I'd do my best to weed out such specimens.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    When I was a rookie LEO one of my first discoveries was that all cops don't like guns!
    Do you mean, "Not all cops like guns"?
    Surely some do.

Sorry for the string of posts, I'd like to add this to my first one but it won't let me edit it anymore. (What's up with that?)

I was thinking, is it possible that the instructor is just SAYING that he doesn't carry, just because maybe he or his superiors realize they have to give the class so people can get their shall-issue permits, but they're hoping to actually discourage some percentage of attendees from carrying once they're licensed?

You know, not every member of every agency that issues concealed carry licenses is going to be fond of the idea of all of the graduates carrying... Maybe he's just posing as a non-carrier just to set an example he hopes will stick in the minds of some...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links