CHL course instructor never carries!

This is a discussion on CHL course instructor never carries! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MIKEV One the the Guys I shoot IDPA with is a state Hunter's safety course instructor and has never hunted, Doesn't think ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CHL course instructor never carries!

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEV View Post
    One the the Guys I shoot IDPA with is a state Hunter's safety course instructor and has never hunted, Doesn't think it's sporting. Go figure.

MikeV
    Maybe if the deer shoot back ...

2. Remove Ads

My CHL instructor is a local LEO (Des Moines PD) for 20+ years He stated that he has not carried off-duty for the last 15yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shekkian View Post
    Maybe if the deer shoot back ...
    His parents were murdered, his friends burned to a crisp, and now he's back for revenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Is this in Multnomah County, by any chance? My son got his Oregon permit about a month ago, and he told me the same thing about his instructor.
    Sure is. I just had my appointment this morning, should have my permit in 3-4 weeks. I will, without a doubt, be taking a REAL CCW course. In fact, if someone could recommend an instructor, that would be helpful.

Sounds like stanislaskasava is in Portland, too. How many towns have bike-riding ex-police chief mayors?!?

For the record, I absolutely love Portland. But there sure is a lot of silliness in the local government...

Administrator
    I hope that he does not get beat up on the way to class and keep the students waiting.

Have you ever thought that possibly he just said that he does not and in reality maybe ankle carries?
    Maybe he keeps his firearm really well hidden and also wants to keep it his personal business.

OR...maybe he is originally from the Town Of Mayberry where good ol' Sheriff Taylor does not carry either.

Maybe he only carries on his way over to Sam's Barber Shop ot to Aunt Bea's when he goes over there to pick up one of her delicious, fresh home baked pies.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Do you mean, "Not all cops like guns"?
    Surely some do.
    Yeah... you know what I mean!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

It doesn't surprise me at all. I went to my classes with 8 other people that I know. Of the 7 of us who actually took it all the way and got the license -- only 2 carry daily.

It is a personal choice but to me, being an instructor for something that you do not do yourself, seems a bit odd.

I don't understand anyone not carrying but especially a CCW instructor.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I think Suarez calls it "Liability Avoidance"..The gun laws have people so scared of the prosecution and consequences if they did have to fire it that they choose to hide their heads in the sand..and not carry. Just Sheep with a Sheepdog license but not willing to exercise their 2nd amendment rights and assume the responseability that comes with it..It's called fear management. BTW, its a great strategy for "Gun Control"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DogSoldier View Post
    I think Suarez calls it "Liability Avoidance"..The gun laws have people so scared of the prosecution and consequences if they did have to fire it that they choose to hide their heads in the sand..and not carry. Just Sheep with a Sheepdog license but not willing to exercise their 2nd amendment rights and assume the responseability that comes with it..It's called fear management. BTW, its a great strategy for "Gun Control"
    +1 Well said.

Administrator

Thumbs up

+ another one.
    I will never be intimidated into not carrying my self-defense firearm.
    Nobody is ever going to make be believe that my life is not worth saving.
    I'm not giving up my best chance for bringing my personal bacon home safe.
    I'll never bite on that.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

First. What is his point in telling you all that? Second. That class needs a new instructor. Third. I have my CCW and carry everywhere I can, because when you need it the most, it shouldn't be at home in a gun safe.
    This guy needs a swift kick.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

My only possible explanation for him telling us this was to underscore that the decision to carry is not one to be taken lightly. From some of the questions in the class, it was obvious some people were there for the "cool" factor, others were there for revenge of some sort (had been mugged, or in a robbery, etc.)

2 facts:
    -CHL applications have tripled in my county since VA Tech
    -On March 30, the OR Supreme Court changed a law that has been on the books since 1982, which stated that before lethal force could be used in self-defense, all attempts at escape or evasion must occur first. Now, this is no longer the case. You can legally stay and fight.

He might simply be trying to counteract some potentially bad situations that might arise from folks getting into this for the wrong reasons.

Me, I took a long hard look at my motivations before moving forward, and found them sound right down to the ground.

Thank you for all the powerful replies.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links