CHL course instructor never carries!

This is a discussion on CHL course instructor never carries! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last week I attended the competency training course at my local Sheriff's office. I was surprised to learn that the instructor, a volunteer deputy and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CHL course instructor never carries!

Last week I attended the competency training course at my local Sheriff's office. I was surprised to learn that the instructor, a volunteer deputy and firearms instructor, never carries a weapon when off-duty.

Seems to me that someone who is serious enough about concealed weapons to teach a course about it for 20+ years would be the most likely person to carry 100% of the time, but this is not the case.

I just found this interesting, and worth sharing...

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    You would be surprised at how many don't, even though they can.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

One the the Guys I shoot IDPA with is a state Hunter's safety course instructor and has never hunted, Doesn't think it's sporting. Go figure.

MikeV

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEV View Post
    One the the Guys I shoot IDPA with is a state Hunter's safety course instructor and has never hunted, Doesn't think it's sporting. Go figure.

MikeV
    I don't find that strange. He is concerned about firearms safety and while he does not hunt himself he wants others to do so safely.

The CCW training thing boggles me though. Perhaps he is one of those who simply carries when he "thinks he may need it." Of course if I thought I might need it where I was going I would not go there...

Alternatively he could just want the money for running the course.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEV View Post

MikeV
    Sounds like me. Well, I figure it's sporting but I've never had the opportunity. I team teach with a great group of people.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

It would be interesting to find out why. I for one would have my doubts about someone teaching a CC course and not carrying. I teach and carry 24/7. It makes little sense to me not to.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I don't think I've heard of that one. It would be interesting if you could manage to ask him his line of thought on going w/o CCW, if able to?
    "Stay Alert, Stay Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by still442 View Post
    I was surprised to learn that the instructor, a volunteer deputy and firearms instructor, never carries a weapon when off-duty.
    Look at the bright side. You came to realize two immutable truths: (a) that your recognition of his "error" won't be made by you, since you realize your crystal ball is just as defective as everyone else's in terms of knowing when/where you're going to need your firearm for self-defense; and (b) that a person can be skilled and experienced enough to teach some things, but that any given expert doesn't know everything.

In terms of your own security posture, that his decision to not carry stuck in your craw is a good thing. Let him have a reduced ability to defend; that shouldn't impact your own.

Then again, his decision might well be predicated upon his knowledge of other martial arts, such that not having a weapon on a daily basis hardly means he's unarmed. Which means, you've also learned that: you'll never know.

See how valuable that course was?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I just take the stance that I look at things differently then some. I've learned that carrying concealed is more than just a hobby, or a luxury, or a liberty. It's a lifestyle and one that you must be totally dedicated to. Some clearly don't understand it or understand it and don't want to take the responsibility.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by still442 View Post
    Last week I attended the competency training course at my local Sheriff's office. I was surprised to learn that the instructor, a volunteer deputy and firearms instructor, never carries a weapon when off-duty.
    Its all about choice...
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    One officer I know said he won't carry with with family so he won't feel obligated to intervene if something happened and put his family at risk.
    For God, Family and Country!

Ron
    I met a local LEO at the range several weeks ago, and in the course of our conversation I asked him what he carried when off duty. He said that he did not carry. When I asked why not, he said that he was concerned about the liability issues. I decided that it would have been inappropriate for me to pursue the subject further, so I let it drop.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I met a local LEO at the range several weeks ago, and in the course of our conversation I asked him what he carried when off duty. He said that he did not carry. When I asked why not, he said that he was concerned about the liability issues. I decided that it would have been inappropriate for me to pursue the subject further, so I let it drop.

Ron
    Sounds like his department discourages it to protect themselves from liability issues.

Doesn't Florida have a Stand Your Ground law that limits liability in justified shootings?
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Protect View Post
    Sounds like his department discourages it to protect themselves from liability issues.

Doesn't Florida have a Stand Your Ground law that limits liability in justified shootings?
    Yes it does, but the key word is "justified," which is a subjective concept. You may well be correct that his department discouraged it, although I didn't get that impression. From the conversation, I thought that it was a personal decision on his part.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    I, obviously, didn't take the course with you, so I can only surmise, but...

It seems to me that if he doesn't carry, he would have a hard time trying to teach the nuances of CC. He can know the laws, guns, methods, etc, but I would guess he has a hard time answering the type of questions we discuss on this board; the things you don't think about until it happens: using a public bathroom, hitches when drawing from IWB, ins and outs of different types of carry, and dozens of other things.

I can see where his class would probably be OK for really new people, but anyone with experience, might have a hard time getting anything from it. His only base of practical knowledge has to come from anecdotes he's "heard from someone else".
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links