Right to bear arms -- new twist

This is a discussion on Right to bear arms -- new twist within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, All! Almost daily my wife takes a walk in the woods behind the house here. Rain or shine. She takes our two dogs with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right to bear arms -- new twist

Right to bear arms -- new twist

Hi, All!

Almost daily my wife takes a walk in the woods behind the house here. Rain or shine. She takes our two dogs with her, though sometimes they go reluctantly due to the heat or deep snow.

Today she decided to get an early start to take advantage of the cool of the morning. After she went I had the house to myself, but as I was getting ready for my day she comes barging back in the front door with Brick. No Buddy! She, gasping for breath, tells me she nearly walked into a bear! It was like 5 feet from her! (Actually perhaps thirty, but it makes for a better story.) And the dogs saved her by alerting her (albeit a wee later than would be otherwise comfortable) and took off after it! (Brick started to give chase but heeded the "come" command and stayed by her.)

I strapped on the .45, she grabbed her .38, and we went off to find the Budster. After five minutes of calling for him from the top of the wooded hill, here comes Buddy, panting, dragging his tired butt up the hill with a victorís grin on his face! Our little hero!, no worse for the wear! (He weighs in at 23# and Brick at 25# --- minature Australian Shepherds.)

So, Wife, will you NOW carry when you're taking your walk?

Oh, YEAH, she says!

p.s. Thank you Mr. or Ms. Bear! You have accomplished what I have failed to be able to do for years!
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

2. Remove Ads

Oh my goodness.... Glad the wife and the dogs are safe! Sounds like it was an eye opening heart thumper for sure.

I hope she sticks by her assertion that it's game on in the future and will have her piece with her from here on out.

Stay safe!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Either you're a great shot with moving targets or you ran track in college...either way, your skills may be tested if you shoot a bear with a pistol...

Better advice would to stand your ground, raise and wave your arms while yelling, and slowly back up! If the black clump of fir has two little clumps of fir with her...go ahead a wet your pants, it's probably gonna' happen anyway...

If it's not a bear that has been feeding upon human 'give-a-ways'...it will want to get away from you MORE than you want to get away from it...

Bears can roam a 100 mile radius, you may never see it again! Call your Department of Natural Resources and report the incident...

OMO...yours may vary!

Stay armed...if even barely...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Glad everything worked out and that your wife has a better veiwof things. But I have to agree with retsupt99.

Brian

You might want to have her increase her caliber size. For her own protection and to increase the odds that baby is on the grill for dinner.
    Be very afraid of a man with only one gun.
    Beer the cause of and solution to all lifes small problems.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
    911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer

http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Quote Originally Posted by never_retreat View Post
    You might want to have her increase her caliber size. For her own protection and to increase the odds that baby is on the grill for dinner.

/drool..... bear is good...

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Either you're a great shot with moving targets or you ran track in college...either way, your skills may be tested if you shoot a bear with a pistol...

Better advice would to stand your ground, raise and wave your arms while yelling, and slowly back up! If the black clump of fir has two little clumps of fir with her...go ahead a wet your pants, it's probably gonna' happen anyway...

If it's not a bear that has been feeding upon human 'give-a-ways'...it will want to get away from you MORE than you want to get away from it...

Bears can roam a 100 mile radius, you may never see it again! Call your Department of Natural Resources and report the incident...

OMO...yours may vary!

Stay armed...if even barely...stay safe!

ret
    That's "bearly"
    Anyway, the point was to get her to carry, not to shoot ol' Baloo. She's got her CCW permit and a carry pocketbook, but hasn't seen the light to be motivated to actually carry.

Good advice about notifying my Wildlife Conservation Officer. Just fired off an email to him per your suggestion.

I am great shot! (more !)
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by briansmech View Post
    /drool..... bear is good...
    I've always wanted to try it. What's it taste like...chicken?

Quote Originally Posted by xercise2nd View Post
    Anyway, the point was to get her to carry, not to shoot ol' Baloo. She's got her CCW permit and a carry pocketbook, but hasn't seen the light to be motivated to actually carry.
    The odds of coming across a bear again is less that finding some perp in the woods bent on bad business. If it takes a bear for her to carry, so be it!

I had one here in VA that occassionally visited my backyard..err uh sort of grass covered area. I never bothered worrying about him/her though as he always seemed to be preoccupied with tearing into the old stumps and logs at the bottom of the hill(presumably looking for bugs/grubs). He never seemed to stray much further up out of the yard and never seemed to bother anyone's trash either. I haven't seem him yet this year though. Don't know if he just moved on or if somebody took him down during hunting. Although I did spot some rather large cat tracks in my neighbors garden(conveniently seemed to follow a set of SMALL deer tracks) a few days ago. Needless to say, even if I'm just out for short bit of yardwork...the 1911 is on and ready to rock.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Lead Moderator
    Bear is good , but better to pack a bigger gun if you intend to shoot a bear.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    I've always wanted to try it. What's it taste like...chicken?
    Bear, if cooked correctly and every spec of fat removed, slow roasted tastes as good as a piece of prime rib! Also produces a very rich gravy.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I did spot some rather large cat tracks...
    "They" say we don't have cougars in Pennsylvania...officially. I know I saw one some years back as it ran in front of my car across the road. Thought is was way too big for a bobcat. Then someone sent me pictures of a cougar on their porch a couple of counties over from me. And another sighting was next county over in the opposite direction.

(Food for a different thread: Mmmm....If certain wildlife is not officially in the state, can it officially be protected? Or, if someone shoots a Puma in PA, are they subject to arrest for killing game?)

More gun, please!

Hi, All!

Almost daily my wife takes a walk in the woods behind the house here. Rain or shine. She takes our two dogs with her, though sometimes they go reluctantly due to the heat or deep snow.

Today she decided to get an early start to take advantage of the cool of the morning. After she went I had the house to myself, but as I was getting ready for my day she comes barging back in the front door with Brick. No Buddy! She, gasping for breath, tells me she nearly walked into a bear! It was like 5 feet from her! (Actually perhaps thirty, but it makes for a better story.) And the dogs saved her by alerting her (albeit a wee later than would be otherwise comfortable) and took off after it! (Brick started to give chase but heeded the "come" command and stayed by her.)

I strapped on the .45, she grabbed her .38, and we went off to find the Budster. After five minutes of calling for him from the top of the wooded hill, here comes Buddy, panting, dragging his tired butt up the hill with a victorís grin on his face! Our little hero!, no worse for the wear! (He weighs in at 23# and Brick at 25# --- minature Australian Shepherds.)

So, Wife, will you NOW carry when you're taking your walk?

Oh, YEAH, she says!

p.s. Thank you Mr. or Ms. Bear! You have accomplished what I have failed to be able to do for years!
    Respectfully, that .38 is only going to make a bear mad. The .45...if it is ACP, I'd want something bigger. Colt long would probably be a good deterrent, tho...

Brick sounds a bit smarter than Buddy...doubly glad The Budster is safe (and, of course, you and the wife)!!!

"They" say we don't have cougars in Pennsylvania...officially. I know I saw one some years back as it ran in front of my car across the road. Thought is was way too big for a bobcat. Then someone sent me pictures of a cougar on their porch a couple of counties over from me. And another sighting was next county over in the opposite direction.

(Food for a different thread: Mmmm....If certain wildlife is not officially in the state, can it officially be protected? Or, if someone shoots a Puma in PA, are they subject to arrest for killing game?)
    yeah same in Northern VA. They say there aren't any left...but they have been spotted for sure. I know for fact they(mountain lions/pumas) were still in the Herndon/Sterling areas up until 97. One ran across our football field at Herndon High during a game. I knew they were around prior to that as I lived in the development next to the school and spent a good bit of time in the sliver of woods that was left there, although a lot has changed in 10 years. I'm out in Clarke Co now so I get a bit more regular wildlife. Most people don't see them and think they're not there, but really they're just VERY reclusive. Even if there was one in you're own backyard the odds of actually spotting it would be stacked against you. Would be nice if there were more around here though. NoVA really needs help with the deer population since shooting is so heavily restricted around fairfax(due to the high density neighborhoods everywhere). They move through my area out here in Clarke in large herds.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links