Am I nuts?

This is a discussion on Am I nuts? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I applaud you doing this! Just because somebody is 20 something, does not mean that they have had a good background or the ability to ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Am I nuts?

I applaud you doing this! Just because somebody is 20 something, does not mean that they have had a good background or the ability to hunt/shoot/fish etc. ... .

My father passed away way too early to teach me how to hunt or shoot. I learned how to shoot in the USMC. I always wanted to hunt, but felt uncomfortable trying to learn. Too many testosterone filled guys that I was reluctant to ask to be taught.

One guy I became friends with, taught me (basically took me from baby steps to actually being there when I harvested my first deer) how to hunt. My appreciation for him is immense. If it weren't for him, I would never experience the totality of hunting and I would not have the ability to pass it on to my child.

You're not neglecting your family and having a positive impact on others. Hooray to you!

2. Remove Ads

Weird....Nope. I think it is cool.

Good job.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    There might be an issue if the kids you want to teach were a few years younger. But, in their early 20s they are clearly adults.

I do find that I have always preferred to hang out with folks my own age---young folks when I was young, old-geezers now that I'm a geezer. Still, nothing wrong if your motives are pure and you are just being a good guy.

In today's world I would not befriend a kid below 18. Too many kukkoo people with creative imaginations.

Also, make sure of the motives and friendship of the kids. Yeah, I'm a 'paranoid' suspicious s.o.b. Because young folks tend to avoid older people, you might want to take a skeptical look at what is going on.

In other words, trust but verify.

VIP Member
    Not weird at all....in fact it's a good, good thing to pass on a very necessary skill like the use of arms to responsible adults.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Not weird, in my eye's. I am always working on new hunting partners.

Brian

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    The thing is, I have tought a young couple the art of the longbow, making their own arrows (soon bows), to shoot (she just shot her first IDPA match), to track, and have taken the hunting. The she part of the team, after tons of questions and talks, applied for and just was offered a job as an officer today to gain experience before applying for the feds. So now in this world are is a young couple that knows how to make, shoot and hunt with a traditional bow/arrows, properly shoot firearms and the world of law enforcement just got a heck of an officer and now he is talking about going to EMT school. Not to say I did it, but hell I didnt hurt it and now who knows who they will pass it on to. Sorry I'm kinda venting and I really do appriciate the support.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

And to think you had doubts about yourself... Shame on you. Look at the state of today's youth! Hell, I think you should start a camp in your spare time. Wilderness/hunting skills are things more kids need these days! Brings them down off their high horse a notch or two when learning things that are difficult and requires brain power and patience.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Bah, not weird at all... Whats weird is when your in your 20's teaching people in their 40s and 50s those skills.

Very kind of you to offer such training for those skills. I know it would of helped me out alot if someone was willing to do the same when I was younger. (Although I am in my 20s....hmm any plans on moving to NC?)

All joking aside... nice to see that the training you have passed on to them will be put to some use...

So unless comendable is weird then nope, not at all.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

SHE! A-HA! NOW I understand why the wifey is having an issue about the whole thing!

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    But I dont train them seperatly. I always insure that its either two of them or we have a third person with us. I'm very concious about that.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    But I dont train them seperatly. I always insure that its either two of them or we have a third person with us. I'm very concious about that.
    You SHOULD be!

Administrator

Thumbs up

Not odd at all.
    Heck they are old enough to join the military - they should know how to shoot.
    At least teach them the basics of safe defensive shooting and proper firearm handling.
    You'll be doing them a massive life favor.
    (QKShooter pats fed wif a sig on the back)

Not sure that you could teach anyone how to fish though...we heard you never could catch anything.

Male or Female - teach them how to shoot.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    Not sure that you could teach anyone how to fish though...we heard you never could catch anything.
    Steve can catch a cold tho QK - same as all of us
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Of course your nuts! Aren't we all?

Seriously, who put an age limit on being a friend anyway? I have mentored men twice my age... now that's weird!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

me
    Steve,

Being 22 I would like to go against the grain here and tell you that in my opinion you are Odd. You are odd in that you are willing to spend your time caring for folks that are my age. Many times people take the arrogance of some 20somethings and apply that to our entire age group. We are often written off and people are very reluctant to mentor us or teach us.

Most on this board would not agree that this is odd because we are part of "A gun culture". Gun Culture has us willing to mentor others and care for others. We still are friendly on the range and willing to allow others to shot our guns, even if we do not know them. This is not something that our culture as a whole would do with anything.

Thanks for teaching.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links