Am I nuts? - Page 3

Am I nuts?

This is a discussion on Am I nuts? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You really don't know how many people you impact in a positive way do you? Look at the people that you've influenced here. The young ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Am I nuts?

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    You really don't know how many people you impact in a positive way do you? Look at the people that you've influenced here. The young couple that you couched to shoot a bow. When you take the time to listen and help out those younger or older and less knowledgeable than yourself you both gain. When you can make a positive influence on someone, you may have helped them along in life where they would have done something different with that time had you not spent it with them. I for one commend you for caring. I try to spend time with those younger family members that I have. I have a few younger people at work that I try to help out, showing easier ways to do things and safer ways to get the work done.

Steve,

It is called mentoring. Not a problem with that.
    Do you enjoy it? Even better. Says something about you that is
    positive and missing far too often in our world.

What would our nation look like if some of the young guys running around with no idea who or where their father is were to have someone mentor them?

Good on ya!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

The only thing "weird" is that it seems such things are no longer "kosher" 'cuz no one wants to take the time to be concerned about any one else "just because." Weird == not selfish.... ????

So...if mentoring, coaching, or teaching one's juniors is weird, then much of human history, at least the good parts, are weird.

Kudos...

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Well, as a 22 year old I'll throw my 0.02 in the bucket.

I taught myself how to fish starting at about 10, how to shoot starting at about age 15, and how to hunt after I turned 18. I am by no means an expert on any of those, and would have taken just about any instruction anyone would have given me on any of those topics (and am always willing to learn more about any of them.)

If you are lurking in the corner of Bass Pro Shops looking for lost looking 20 somethings and asking them if they want to go into the woods with you, that is weird. But if they are people you know from jobs, or family or mutual friends or something, that have an interest in skills you are willing to mentor them in, I don't see it as weird. Someone who has taught me some about all 3 categories and I guess kind of mentored me is one of my parent's friends who is over 50. He is also one of my occasional drinking buddies, and I don't find that weird.

I think you are ok.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Hey I applaud you. I often shake my head at the generations coming up who wouldn't know how to feed themselves if the grocery market suddenly disappeared.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar

Good work Steve!

It is a natural progression, Knowledge is handed down from old to young. Without that link, civilizations dry up. With the onslaught of urban areas,single parent families, Etc Etc, everyone needs to step up. Unselfishness is a commendable trait., enjoy it! The rewards of friendships like that are priceless.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

The gender thing changes the issue, people are naturally cautious around 'mid-life crisis' men and young women that look up to them.

I still think you are right and should consider yourself above reproach, you convinced me of your moral convictions on the SOG issue, but if someone else wants to cast doubt on you for hanging out with a woman half your age then that is (sadly) fairly normal.

Still not weird though.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Not sure that you could teach anyone how to fish though...we heard you never could catch anything.
    Now thats just wrong. Geeeze. I'll have you know I didnt have to teach them much about fishing and they can tie a fly better than I'd think of, but I have to defend myself, I do catch tons of stuff (sticks, weeds, watergrass, even a turtle or two and occasionally some stupid perch will bite an empty hook, LOL). In all honesty though, I carry a traveling fishing kit everywhere I go and have had the pleasure of catching fish during combat in Kosovo, on the frozen Moscow river right under the walls of the Kremlin and in various countries all over the world and throught the USA.

Oh I also catch nasty colds, LOL, and if ya'al aint careful I'll sneeze and pass them on to ya.

Again, thanks for the positive support and kind comments. After this evening I needed it.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

My dad had a lot of fishing buddies 20 to 30 years younger than he was. He taught them alot. When I worked with Boy Scouts one of their favorite activities was to go shoot trap or shoot my handguns. Few would have had the opportunity to do that as their own fathers did not or would not own guns, especially handhuns. The kids loved it. I think it was good exposure for them. Maybe they won't grow up afraid of guns or be anti gun.

VIP Member
    I think its great!!!!! I grew up inner city and wish I had some one to teach me that kind of stuff. I've done very little hunting and the hunting that I have done I just went out and did it. I wish I could of had some one to show me the right way. My fishing was all at city parks untill I was in my mid 20's. I bet this will be some thing they will never forget.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    As long as your wife's OK with it, it's not weird. Heck, think about it, in LE I'm sure you work with & hang with people quite a bit younger than you.

The only issue would be the opposite gender thing, but if both of you are OK with it (Along with your respective others), everything should be just dandy.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    OK I need opinions (not that we've ever been short on those here).

Would you think it "weird" for a 40something to be willing to teach 20somethings how to shoot, hunt and fish?

The issue is this, I have two young people in their 20's who have not been taught to shoot or hunt and I accepted them first as students of the arts and over time became friends.

Well it was informed tonight that its "weird" and I guess I just don't get it. So I reach out to see if others think so. I don't ignore my family and the mentoring/friendship is a couple hours a week.

OK time for opinions.

Whoever told you that is weird!!
    Seriously though No there is nothing wrong with it at all.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with that at all!!!!! From a very early age I had a love affair with firearms but unfortunately:

My father wouldn't teach me how to shoot because he had changed in views on gun ownership (became an ANTI!!!) and since my Grandpa, who did take me shooting a few times was getting up in age and couldn't anymore, I lucked out and dated a girl for a long time whose Dad was a gun fanatic. From about age 17-21 this guy who was in his 50's taught me how to shoot and hunt. He was a reloader so we always had plenty of ammo. He had a ton of land so we spent a lot of time shooting every weekend. Heck, I spent more time with my high school sweetheart's Dad than I did her! Things didn't work out and thankfully so. I now have a wonderful wife and son but I look back on those days with him as some of the best times in my life. I am a shooter and a gun lover because of him. So take these youngster's shooting. YOU can CHANGE their LIVES for the BETTER!!!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Cool

If being an Elder and a Mentor is weird, then we need a heckava lot more weird people in our society. Kudo's to you for doing a great thing. Kids today in many cases are lost because they lack an Elder to show them the right path, and how to be adults. Once more, kudo's to you. Keep up the good work. As for the wife being uncomfortable about it, a new pearl necklace usually soothes the rocky sea's. LOL
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Did the condemnation of "weird" come, by any chance, from a person who also does not "get" why someone would carry a firearm for self defense?

If so, consider the source, and dismiss the insult.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links