Am I nuts? - Page 5

Am I nuts?

This is a discussion on Am I nuts? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well let's see. Im also a 40 something. In the past, I taught a 23yr old female coworker to shoot handguns. She now has her ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Am I nuts?

Well let's see. Im also a 40 something. In the past, I taught a 23yr old female coworker to shoot handguns. She now has her CCW and carries a G19. I taught a 25yr old who was in Navy Flight school. I taught a married couple in their 20s. They are now both competing together in IDPA. A 27yr old nurse at a local emergency room....

I am currently teaching a 15yr old highschool girl, who is my best friend's daughter. She can out-shoot most of the guys at our IDPA matches.

God! I'm weirder than YOU!

The thing is, unless the young people come from gun-friendly families, nowadays they have little opportunity for exposure to firearms and self defense. I have always seen it as a duty to pass along the knowledge that was so graciously passed along to me.

Carry on!
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Being 20 years old, I see nothing wrong with this. My dad taught me to shoot ,and fish. But I have been looking for somebody to teach me how to hunt for years. I have older friends/co-workers that are in their 40's or so that I will go shooting with,or fishing with. I don't feel anything weird about it. I appreciate their life expreinces in the stories they tell me,and things they teach me.

Not weird at all. I'm in my 20s and am friends with people in their 40s. Great to hear you're passing along what you know and teaching them to be safe.

Being a 20-something kid myself, I can say that there is nothing wrong with that. I love to learn as much as I can from anyone with a good knowledge or experience. Personally, its the only way to pass on knowledge and heritage.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Exactly what is Normal?

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter4884 View Post
    Steve,

Definitely not weird, we need more people like you! Young people these days need all the help and mentors they can get.

--Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    But I dont train them seperatly. I always insure that its either two of them or we have a third person with us. I'm very concious about that.
    +1 Good for you!!

Sadly, it's only 'weird' 'cause there are sick monkeys out there.

I'd feel very good that young people DO look up to you and want your mentoring wisdom. This shows maturity on thier part and an unselfish 'willing to teach' attitude on your part.

Keep it up, enjoy it, and DON'T grow discouraged!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Hunting fishing and guns seem to bring all different ages togeather. If you can aid someone younger with your experience I can see no harm in it.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Hell, I'm 54 (2 months shy of 55) and I would love for someone to teach ME how to fish! (Hunting, no. I don't do tromping through the woods). Actually, I applaud you for teaching younger folks. That is, unless you require them to be nude.....

What could be weird about introducing young adults to shooting sports and hunting???

I have seen over the years that the shooters and hunters I meet were introduced to firearms at a young age by their parent. Unfortunately, those without a parent to do so end up feeling either disinterested or too intimidated to begin such pursuits as they reach adulthood. I think you doing so would be a great service to them!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Looks like the consensus is in Steve:

Keep up the good work! Passing on knowledge in a positive way is always good.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Thanks again ya'al. It was very refreshing to receive the positive comments after the ugly spat that had occured. Glad to see that the art of mentoring isnt lost in our land and I will continue as I've been doing.

Shoot strait and speak the truth and we'll all live happier.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    Thanks again ya'al. It was very refreshing to receive the positive comments after the ugly spat that had occured. Glad to see that the art of mentoring isnt lost in our land and I will continue as I've been doing.

Shoot strait and speak the truth and we'll all live happier.
    I think you are doing the right thing, I only hope the spat was not with your wife.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

I've made friends on fora on the internet. And not in the wierd way that society seems to think of it. Heck, there's a guy who's going to teach me to really shoot a rifle. He must be 2o years my senior. I don't see anything wrong with it.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

VIP Member
    fed,
    I say we need more folks like you teaching the young guns

teach away my man!
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

fed, I'm 26 and some of my closest friends are 12+ years my seinior. If someone thinks it's weird it sounds like they've got some personal issues to work through.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links