Only when I need to!

Only when I need to!

This is a discussion on Only when I need to! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK folks - no way would I impose a different carry regime - on anyone but ........ spoke on phone earlier to a good buddy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only when I need to!

Assistant Administrator

Only when I need to!

OK folks - no way would I impose a different carry regime - on anyone but ........ spoke on phone earlier to a good buddy - we shoot at same club tho I see him rarely - and he was talking about his ''selective'' carry program (guess what - we always talk guns! Right!). He won't carry unless ''he feels the need''.

Ok says I - so how do you determine when the risk might be high enough? He says - when he is going some place that might be ''risky''. Hmmmm. So I say - you know in advance the ''risk factor''? Yeah? he replies affirmative.

Oh well - I guess says I - you may only carry your truck spare tire - now and again - when you feel you may most likely get a flat!!! Same as you will perhaps just keep the fire extinguisher in the house, for those days when you perceive the day's fire risk is enhanced! Yeah - I was gettin sorta cynical!

I honestly do NOT see myself as in any way paranoid, because I carry 16/7 ... simple fact is - how in heck am I supposed to second guess when a risk situation is to appear? Sheesh. I know Murphy all too well - over 60 years - and am aware that he (is it a guy - guess so) ....... will pounce when things are at their worst.!

I have said before and you have heard me say it no doubt - I all but pray to never - ever - have to use my piece in anger. But I sure as heck want it there all the time. Simply because (as of now) my pre-cognitive skills cannot tell me when I might be ''in extremis''.

Some further ''persuasion'' and attempts at logic analysis did (I think) get the message home a bit. I may be unusual tho I think not - you carry - or you don't carry - there is not much in between - leaving aside those grim times when circumstances mean you have to divest of the piece - or at least - tighten up the concealment bit!

Sorry - I am rambling - it is usual!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    It's a fairly common debate, that is, practical vs. paranoid.

Hard to say, the future murky is.

If you love life, people and good food, you're Betty's mom.

If you love life, people and good food while sharpening a shiv, you're Betty.

As Uncle Carmine used to say, "Never carry a chain with one more link than you can swim with." An odd comment for a guy who drown in concrete. But the sentiment remains.

Pass the angel hair, my knife is sharp.

DC Founder
    I think it is more common than not that people with CCW permits don't carry all of the time. I do pretty much carry all of the time, except to work but I don't always carry on me, I am embarrassed to say. I may carry it in my pack if I just run out for a quick errand that I am primarily going to be in my car. Here in Arizona you can't carry in a "bar". That means that in anything better than a burger joint carry is forbidden. When that's where I'm going I carry in a way that the gun is convenient to remove, like a fanny pack or my pack. Grocery stores, banks, gas stations, pool supply, the cleaners and all of the other million places I may go I carry on me concealed. Open carry in Arizona makes it easy to never go unarmed (unless you get hungry, of course) even though you may not be carrying concealed. I am rarely unarmed, even when I go to a "bar". I carry my knife.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I "carry" everytime I leave the house. I consider where I'm going and there are parts of town (any town) we all know tend to be a bit more prone to violent behavior, but since there is no particular reason for me to travel in or through those areas, I just don't go there. Shopping centers, eateries, gas stations along the way...those I frequent. They are not immune to violent BGs so, just like the statement about carrying a spare tire, I carry concealed. If I do stop somewhere that I can't legally enter, then I leave it in my truck. Do I risk being left unarmed until I get back in my truck? You bet, but I also stay aware of my surroundings....not paranoid, just being cautious and aware. No high blood pressure here...no adrenaline rushes, I just go about my business but maintain a normal level of vigilance.
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

One of the questions I ask my students. Who's going to carry all the time. Usually in a class of 10, I may have 3 that say they will carry 100% of the time. My next question is what day are you going to pick? If somebody can sense they may be in danger that day, take the shotgun and I'll meet you at race track to bet on the ponies. I believe better to have it and not need it than need and not have it. Here again its a personal choice. May the force be with you.
    T.A.P.S.
    Tactics-Accuracy-Power-Speed

Assistant Administrator
    Re-reading my ''ramble' - it may come over a tad arrogant - as if unless you carry all time you are doing something wrong. That was not my intention - this is all about choice for everyone, naturally... what you need and what works - accepting too that many folks have to divest at times becuase of work etc (travesty!!).

I think my prime aim was to bring forward the fact (due mostly to the partial and seeming pig-headedness of my buddy!) ..... that in truth we just cannot second guess events. Thus the thinking re full time carry. I am in a pretty reasonable semi rural area, with quite low risk overall - I work from home and am in office much of each day - but the piece is still there on my hip ... family are used to open carry in and around house.

My logic is - based not just on no prior knowledge of when anything might go down - but almost more important - having the piece there where I expect it to be. I look at left wrist - to get the time - watch is there always. I want same out of my carry - not having that instinctive reach to where it should be - but rather reaching to where it IS!

Hope this makes sense - I reckon in part I have the feeling that anyone who can and will carry - gets the max benefit to his/her health - hating the thought of them being caught just when vulnerable.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I carry 24/7.

Yes, even in my home. Of course not when sleeping, but my gun is within easy reach. I live in a relatively crime free suburb too. There was just a home invasion reported on this morning's news in another area. I'm sure those folks didn't expect that to ever happen to them either. In fact most victims of crime say how surprised they are that this happened to them. Also, I never know for sure were my daily travels may have me ending up. I may end up in one of those known "not so good" areas even when I had no intention of being there at the beginning of the day. Another news story this morning was about armed robberies occurring in another area of town that you would not usually worry about. The point is, you never know so why leave your main tool of self protection at home?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe
    Yes, even in my home. Of course not when sleeping, but my gun is within easy reach. I live in a relatively crime free suburb too. There was just a home invasion reported on this morning's news in another area. I'm sure those folks didn't expect that to ever happen to them either. In fact most victims of crime say how surprised they are that this happened to them. Also, I never know for sure were my daily travels may have me ending up. I may end up in one of those known "not so good" areas even when I had no intention of being there at the beginning of the day. Another news story this morning was about armed robberies occurring in another area of town that you would not usually worry about. The point is, you never know so why leave your main tool of self protection at home?
    I didn't realize that Minnesota had a "Carry" law???

Realleycat

We sort of, kind of, almost have a carry law. I however am still good for a couple years on my 5 year license. We are hoping and praying that this mess gets straightened out real fast.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Re-reading my ''ramble' - it may come over a tad arrogant - as if unless you carry all time you are doing something wrong. That was not my intention - this is all about choice for everyone, naturally... what you need and what works - accepting too that many folks have to divest at times becuase of work etc (travesty!!).
    I think you made your point perfectly well Chris! Are there going to be instances in anybody's life where you can't or don't carry...sure. I've been carrying 24/7 for years (honestly more like 16/7), but having said that I admit there have been times for whatever reason I have not...but it is certainly the exception not the rule.

I look at the 24/7 or 16/7 as more of a mindset than reality. Do I carry while locked in my home...no...however a gun is never far from me anywhere in the house.

This mentality is certainly far different than your buddies' view, where he chooses to carry only based on some risk assessment. However as Bump suggested, it's probably closer to the truth among the CCW majority...and we my friend(s), are the minority in our commitment to be armed "24/7".

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

I adjust my carry piece to my perceived threat level, but I always carry something…breakfast at a little café in a real small town; .380. Visiting “The Loo”; 10mm + .380 and maybe the 9mm for the wife in the car. Sure I could be wrong and need the 10mm at breakfast some morning but life is a continual matter of playing the odds, you do the best you can knowing some day you could just plain shoot craps.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I see the need to carry everywhere I go.

Well being a high school teacher in South Florida (even in the inner city as I am) I cannot carry "on the job." In truth, I've NEVER ever felt threatened to the degree that I felt I needed to be armed.

Otherwise I sorta put the area into categories: My neighborhood and the city that surrounds it is "home" and has a low crime rate. Around home I might choose a knife or a "mousegun" like my NAA .22LR to shove in my front pocket, while understanding that it is a weapon of final resort, that it must be used at contact range, so I know that if I fire it in self defense, I'll be shoving the barrel into an EYE before pulling the trigger. I have it stoked with tracers.

Widening the circle outside of Coral Gables, I might carry my Glock M27 40 in a Blade-Tech IWB with a standard size reload.

Next there are high crime parts of Miami-Dade or Monroe or Broward. These areas I call: "Indian Country." Indian country calls for a .45ACP with a reload (my Sig P245 and a P220 reload) OR my Glock M27 with a Hi-Cap reload from a M22.

When we drive out to Texas in late June, I'll be legal the whole way under state reciprocity laws (THANK YOU JEB BUSH!!!) and I struggled to decide what gun to carry and have decided on the Glock M27 for the high capacity capability. I counted up all the mags I have available for the M27 and come to find I can have about 73 rounds ready to launch before I have to top off a single mag from the two 50rd boxes I'll take along. I also have more holsters and carry options for the Glock. So, it should do the job. I'm going to launch a new thread, btw for folks out there from Texas, especially those in the areas of San Antonio and to the east.....so ping yer Texas buddies please!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

P59Carry....I don't think you were ramblin....and your point was clear to me. Like others have stated, it boils down to personal choice, and the rationale behind that choice....we are all in totally different environments, and the particular situations, I believe, have to dictate. On the flip side, one could easiliy argue the point that (just like the darn media like to remind us) hey, I'm just exercising my Constitutional Rights !! Well, throw me in that bucket!!
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

My CCW instructor told the class his take on concealed carry. He said, "If you really want to carry a concealed hangun, you had better carry when and where you can (read 99.9% of the time you are out). He doesn't subscribe to carrying only "when a threat is perceived." He also used the spare tire and fire extinguisher analogies. One point he made was that if you are going to carry a gun, carry the gun! It is a serious responsibility and one needs to get accustomed to carrying a gun. I have been carrying so much since I got my license that it is almost like my gun isn't even there. My CCW has become part of my wardrobe. It is amazing what you can get used to with practice.
    Gun control is hitting your target.
    -- Amegatek
    Amegatek's Firearms Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links