Moving from SC to NC

Moving from SC to NC

This is a discussion on Moving from SC to NC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was wondering if there is a long delay applying for NC CWP. If I already have my SC CWP, is there any benefit? Or do ...

Moving from SC to NC

Was wondering if there is a long delay applying for NC CWP. If I already have my SC CWP, is there any benefit? Or do I have to take the NC course, pay the $$$$ and wait a long time.

I just got a job in NC and will be moving within the next month.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide!

Avi
    "I would like to die in my sleep like my grandfather did - and not like his screaming passengers!" - unknown
    -------------------------------
    XD .45 Tactical
    XD 9MM Sub Compact
    Taurus .357 Mag Revolver
    Colt AR-15 A3 .223
    Vector AK-47 7.62

Welcome! It took my about 3 weeks to get my CCW.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi8tor View Post
    If I already have my SC CWP, is there any benefit?
    North Carolina has better reciprocity.

North Carolina permit honored by:AK*, AL, AZ, AR, CO, DE, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MO, MS, MT, ND, NH, NM, OH, OK, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT*, WA, WV, WY.
    South Carolina permit honored by: AK*, AR, AZ, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MO, MT, NC, NM, OH, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT*, WV, WY.

Nice! well 3 weeks is better than 90+ days in SC.

Thanks!
    "I would like to die in my sleep like my grandfather did - and not like his screaming passengers!" - unknown
    -------------------------------
    XD .45 Tactical
    XD 9MM Sub Compact
    Taurus .357 Mag Revolver
    Colt AR-15 A3 .223
    Vector AK-47 7.62

There is a residency requirement (I think it to be three months).

You will have to take the classes again (state wants its money). On average, the permit will cost $200. This includes the class and the state fees.

Dependant upon the county in which you will reside, you can have your permit back in as little as a month, or up to 90 days.

Most sheriff offices require references of three people not related to you (preferably within the county where you are applying).

The nice part is that our permit is honored by 30 some states, and that the permit can be used in lieu of a buyers permit when purchasing handguns, and negates the need of the NICS call when purchasing long guns.

Here is a link that outlines a majority of the laws concerning carry.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

one question to ask is whether the CWP can be used in lieu of the pistol purchase permit ... i don't know the answer, but it's a worthwhile question.

Quote Originally Posted by echo5tango View Post
    one question to ask is whether the CWP can be used in lieu of the pistol purchase permit ... i don't know the answer, but it's a worthwhile question.
    Taken from my own post. Yes, the NCCHL can be used for purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj View Post
    (snip)...and that the permit can be used in lieu of a buyers permit when purchasing handguns...(snip)
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

It took me ~4 months to get my permit in Franklin County. After 3 and a half months I called to inquire about it, and then it showed up in about a week and a half.

FMC

avi8tor, depending on what part of NC your job is in, you might find it beneficial to live in SC. I worked in Charlotte for the last 6 years, but lived across the line in SC. If you are going to be working in the Charlotte area, shoot me a PM and we can chat.

NC's CCH class is fundamentally different from SC. NC spends a lot of time on the actual use of deadly force. SC seems to be interested in the mechanics of shooting safely. Between the two is a pretty good program.

How long it takes to get a CCH permit depends upon your county's sheriff. A brief and friendly call to the relevant sheriff's office will clear up any number of questions.
    Signature? What signature.

The time varies in NC for CCH permits to be issued. Not long compared to SC. Recommend that you give a COPY of your SC CWP permit to the local Sheriff's office. Probably less than a month for the permit to be issued. Call the Sheriff's office and see what and any additional paper work they require. My son is military and the sheriff wanted a letter form his CO recommending him. Also, a letter from the base doctor stating he had no mental or medical problems. Some Sheriff's want you to come in for an interview.

There is no "fixed" cost for a course in NC. Probably $100 to $120 for the course. Then around $80 to the Sheriff's office of the county that you will be living in and applying in. Maybe, they will charge you for the finger prints? Doubt it. The completion of the course gives you a serialized certificate that you give to the Sheriff as proof of training.

In SC the CWP instructor is given a set of guidelines and the SC CWP test and told by SLED to write the course they will teach. It is sent to SLED and they approve or disaprove the course. Of course, you have to meet other certification requirements. As a result, the courses in SC can stress different areas; however, they must teach all SLED's basic requirements.

In NC you can teach your own course like SC (NC DOJ must approve course) or teach the MODEL course that NC will give you (the instructor). As a result most folks teach the NC model course. I teach it. Same in NC as you have to meet other certification requirements.

Hope this haven't confused you.
    Mark
    SC CWP Instructor
    NC CCH Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor

Links