Advice needed. Anti-firearm family visit imminent

This is a discussion on Advice needed. Anti-firearm family visit imminent within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have family visiting tomorrow for Labor Day. One of which is my mother, who is VERY anti-gun. How I am the way I am is ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Advice needed. Anti-firearm family visit imminent

Have family visiting tomorrow for Labor Day. One of which is my mother, who is VERY anti-gun. How I am the way I am is beyond me, but it is what it is. Anyway, there will be gallivanting tomorrow, amidst the obvious greeting hug. She doesn't know I carry because I only tell those who absolutely need to know, and she doesn't. I do NOT want to go out tomorrow without my carry weapon, but I also do NOT want to get into a discussion about guns with her. Obviously she's my mother and I love her dearly, but IMO there are some things where concessions shouldn't be made, regardless of circumstance. what would you do? My current stance is to carry anyway. I don't print.

Pocket or ankle?

Or just say heck with it and put th ak47 out on the dinner table and see what happens
    nlyric, Anubus, G26Raven and 8 others like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Might have to resort to gently remind her that she is visiting you in your castle. Two way street when the time comes to visit her. Good luck.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Pocket or ankle?

Or just say heck with it and put th ak47 out on the dinner table and see what happens
    IWB. 4.25 in barrel 9mm.
    Ianthin likes this.

Been there. If she does notice and brings it up, talk with her about it. I will assume you have kids. I told mine that this is my way of life and I have it to protect my family (her grandchildren) and myself (her son). Wouldn't she want you to protect yourself and her grandkids? If that doesn't work...move on and say that is the way it is. Good luck and always carry.
    In my case, if that didn't work, oh well. My family is too important to me to worry about what she thinks in that regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Anubus and SouthernBoyVA like this.

I definitely would carry. In my case, huggy kissy family, I pocket carry if need be. Normally I wouldn't care and if they don't like it tuff. But if it was someone that I cared about like your mother than I would pocket carry and use utmost caution to remain concealed.
    arizona, msgt/ret and StevePVB like this.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

VIP Member
    Leave your gun wherever you leave it, get your hugs in when they arrive, put your gun back on, say nothing.

My very anti mother-in-law came to stay with us for three months last year. I carried as I always do while she was here.
    “I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you.”

Ed Koch

Sometimes it's better to get info "out" before a surprise. (Not always, and your sit might be completely different)

One thought might be to put a copy of Concealed Carry or American Rifleman (or Guns and Ammo) on the coffee table in the living room; and, be your tactful and diplomatic best for what's sure to come thereafter.

Also, you just might need to arm yourself with information. John Lott's new book has it all, and it's well worth buying on Kindle or hard copy.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

This was easy till I seen you say your MOM. I true it is your home your rules

I think Mike has the easiest to the solution. get your hug excuse yourself and put your gun back in your holster. If its IWB they would have to be looking for it to see it.
    Mike1956 and Kennydale like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Techer40 View Post
    I think Mike has the easiest to the solution. get your hug excuse yourself and put your gun back in your holster. If its IWB they would have to be looking for it to see it.
    I have been enjoying issue-free carry in the midst of the antis for a very long time. I keep my gun concealed and my mouth shut.
    “I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you.”

Ed Koch

Distinguished Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    NAA make a whole range of weapons for discrete pocket carry. When a J-frame or PPK is too big, a .32 Guardian, .22 Mag Mini or even .22 LR Mini can allow you to remain "armed" when social situations dictate otherwise. I am attending a house party as I write this with my 1 5/8" .22 Mag Mini.
    dangerranger likes this.

I'd say do what makes you feel comfortable.
    SouthernBoyVA likes this.

Your house, Your rules! But I would not bring it up. Just go on about your business like you always do. That way if it ever does come out you can truthfully say "But Mom, I have always carried! It never bothered you before." Hopefully it will be years before you have to have that conversation.

My inlaws were very Anti. They knew I had guns, hunted, and shot. After a few tense conversations it just became a subject that we did not talk about. I did not carry in their house, and they did not ask if I was in my home.

Good Luck DR

I carry my gun in my front pocket but I like to keep it handy when I sit down so I stick it out of sight between the couch and an end table where I sit most of the time. Nobody ever gets friendly enough with me where they will feel my gun anyway. If little kids are coming I unload the guns and lock them up. I haven't got anybody who visits me who I would have to defend myself from. I believe in the old saying-stand by your guns- which I think means that you should defend them against anybody but you don't have to make it an issue either if you want to get along with people.
    dangerranger likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links