Do you have a lawyer?

This is a discussion on Do you have a lawyer? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've posted before about how retainers are not used by any criminal defense lawyers I know for this sort of thing. I mean, a retainer ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you have a lawyer?

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    I've posted before about how retainers are not used by any criminal defense lawyers I know for this sort of thing. I mean, a retainer is taken and held in anticipation of debt that will be incurred, and no one actually plans to have a shooting case come up. Most criminal defense lawyers work on a fee-per-case basis, not an hourly rate, and I don't know of any who would take money from a client who does not have a serious expectation of being charged in the short term.

However, almost any criminal defense lawyer would be delighted to meet with you and to give you his card to stick in your wallet should the need arise (hey, when your friend gets a DWI or you need a will drawn up, chances are that you'll pull out that card, too - it's totally worth his time to talk to you for a few minutes and get his name out). I've done other posts on how to select a defense lawyer (search on my name and "lawyer" here and on many other boards) - don't worry too much about the retainer, since I'd be shocked if you were asked to put one down.

2. Remove Ads

Help in Iowa

I've checked the CCW list in help and extras area and found nothing listed in Iowa. Much like my weapon, I hope to never need it, but when I need it, I need it very badly! Anyone know of a 2A attorney in Iowa? Thanks.
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    Ron, PM inbound with the name of a superbly qualified colleague who's agreed to be on the list for NM. Thanks for your kind service in maintaining this list for folks!

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Erich View Post
    Ron, PM inbound with the name of a superbly qualified colleague who's agreed to be on the list for NM. Thanks for your kind service in maintaining this list for folks!
    Got it. Thanks for your help.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

StormTruck2

Here's the results from a Google Search for Criminal Attorney's in Des Moines, IA. You'll have to research from there.

Copy and paste the link below into your browser. For some reason it didn't "Hyperlink".

http://www.google.com/search?q=Criminal+Attorney's+in+Des+Moines&rls=com .microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Ayoob recommends a Five Point Check List of things you should point out to responding LEO's when they arrive that won't hurt your case and can only help bolster your claim of Self Defense. They are as follows:

1) Immediately point to the perpetrator and state "Officer, that man attacked me, I was in fear of my life and I was forced to defend myself!"

2) Then state "I will sign a criminal complaint against him." This tells the LEO's that your willingness to sign a legal complaint against the guy for attacking you that you are probably in fact the victim and not the guy bleeding on the ground who is in fact doing a pretty good impression of a victim.

After all, almost exclusively when LEO's respond to shootings, it is the guy bleeding on the ground who is usually the victim. Most shootings do not involved ccw holders who are the good guys.

3) Then point to any evidence you have found before the LEO's have arrived such as a knife, a gun, spent brass from his gun, a ball bat and say to officers "Evidence is here, here, here and here" as you point it out to the LEO's. This ensures that evidence is noted by responding officers, spent shell casing don't vanish and that all evidence is preserved.

4) If any witnesses have stayed around long enough for the police to arrive, they may not stay around long once police get there, or volunteer to come forward on their own. So say, Officer, the witnesses are here, and here and over there." and point them out to LEO's before they have a chance to leave.

Having their statements affirming the fact that you said, "Stop, leave me alone, don't hurt me" or anything else they can be helpful to your case will be lost if they are allowed to leave the scene because you wanted to assert your right to remain silent.

5) Finally say to the LEO's "Officer, I realize how serious this situation is and I will cooperate fully once I've had 24 hours to consult with my attorney!" And then clam up and keep your mouth shut! If they press you further, inform them that you've just been through a traumatic experience and again, you would like to speak with your attorney first and assure them they will have your full cooperation.

A lot of people say "Lawyer Up" and say nothing right from the start, but as you can see from the above, there are several things that if you don't speak up and point out in the begining, critical evidence or testimony from bystanders may be lost from your case that would have exonerated you and make things a whole lot easier.
    This post is going into my Palm Treo. Great advice and a good place to keep it as a reminder. I will also add it to the details in my attorney's contact information section.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links