I thank God for everyday I live - Page 2

I thank God for everyday I live

This is a discussion on I thank God for everyday I live within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am extremely grateful for my life, that's why I intend to defend it, lethally if necessary. That's not cowardice, it's determination to keep what ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I thank God for everyday I live

Senior Moderator
    I am extremely grateful for my life, that's why I intend to defend it, lethally if necessary. That's not cowardice, it's determination to keep what you have in the condition you have it in.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    It's pretty obvious that they don't know what it would be like to go through something similar to what I went through over a year ago. My friends don't care that I carry around them, they just see no point in carrying a gun themselves, and think that I am too "scared" to fight my way out of a bad situation. I guess if they're not willing to accept the legal matters of using a gun in self defense, they shouldn't carry a gun. Like I said though, if they find themselves in a situation where retreating or hand to hand fighting aren't options, they get no pity from me. I'm not as strong as they are, and I really don't wanna fight someone who is trying to kill me or my loved ones, because that greatly increases my chances of getting seriously hurt. I'd much rather be in jail for a couple nights while the situation is sorted out by the police, than wind up in a body bag and have the scumbag that just killed me walk after a few years of being locked up.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    My friends think I'm a coward for carrying a gun around
    That's some strange logic, to say the least. To me, a person whose only defense is sticking their head in the sand and hoping it won't happen to them is the coward. Facing reality and arming yourself so you have the tools to take your safety in your own hands and protect yourself (and maybe even others), is not cowardly.

I think Ted said it best…

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Nugent
    To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1943 - 2009
    Spyder, you got your head on straight. It's your friends who need a healthy dose of reality.

I know who I'd rather hang around with...............

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I say this not out of criticisim but out of concern. If it is a year later and you are still having nightmares about it, Have you talked with a therapist at all. It is one thing to tell a story on an internet forum, and while expressing your feelings is increadably important and helpful, I would recomend talking with a "professional listener" who might be able to ask the right questions to help with the lingering effects.

And now to be supportive. In no way can "being prepared to defend one's self and family" be misconstrued with "coward".

If god forbid you find yourself with these friends in the McDonalds when it gets held up you will most likely find these "Tough" friends of yours crouching behind you COWERING.

Remember about the 3 types of people. The wolves, sheeple, and the sheepdog. The sheeple don't really like the way the sheepdogs act untill the wolf comes around.

Being in a life threatening situation is scarey enough. Being in a life threatening situation and not being able to defend yourself is scarier. Been in both. Don't let it rule you. Your situations do not define you, your decisions while in these situations are what make you who you are.

SpyderDude smarts > SpyderDude's 'Friends' largely assumptive and insulting logic

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    It's so sad that there are so many other people who live in their own "security blanket", thinking they'll be safe. Sure we have many laws that regulate what people can and can't do, but doesn't mean that those laws will be obeyed. Many people think that legislation is the key to solving society's issues. The media has many stories about violence, and what they say must be true right? "Gun free zones" are safe havens from violence, and new laws will solve all acts of violence including stabbing, shooting, and rape (sarcasm).

What a pathetic world we live in. I will say however that I took a couple of my friends shooting with me, and they really enjoyed it. So they're not entirely against guns, they just see no point in carrying one. One of them is married and his wife doesn't like guns, so he can't own any, but he would like to.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

VIP Member
    Yup and AMEN!

Each and every day is a gift!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Spydey first you are not scared just acutely aware. As far as not wanting to fight, don't. WIN. You can win in many ways. Using a weapon in order to repell the attack or get yourself away from the attack are just a couple of ways you win. The idea is that after all is said and done you are alive and reasonably well. I was asked a few years ago if I would fight someone in my line of work. I told them, "No". I don't fight I win. If my life is on the line I will do whatever it takes to go home at the end of my shift. (The first rule of law enforcement) It is a mindset. Get it set in your mind that in an attack that you are going to win no matter what it takes. Once you have that mindset then work to physically meet that mindset. The mind and body work together as one to employ whatever defense you need.
    Last edited by Black Knight; June 20th, 2007 at 07:54 PM.

I agree with everyone here and wouldn't see you as a coward at all. You accept the responsibility that your life is in your hands and that you cannot always rely on others for your safety. Through time and dedication, you have found a way to provide yourself with an additional means of protecting yourself and your loved ones. You already have the proof that it works, so I wouldn't think twice about what your friends say.

I once had a coworker of mine say that he didn't like the idea that people need guns to make them feel safe. I don't look at concealed carry in that way at all. I feel safe in my own shoes, but understand that violence can spring up anywhere and if that time does come, I want to have every advantage that is available to me.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    "Every day you wake up is a good day - because some folks don't."

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    ...I'm especially thankful for everyday that I can bring my gun home in the same condition that it was in when I left the house...
    Aside from having the potential to protect myself and others to a greater degree than I used to be able to, what you wrote there is one of the best things CC has done for me. It has MADE me stop and think, without fail, at least one time, EVERY day, how lucky I am. If that doesn't make you truely thankful for all the good things in your life, and realize how small and temporary all the normal pain-in-the-posterior stuff is, you just need to think about it a little harder.

Everyone else has pretty much summed up my thoughts on your friends. However, once you give up hope on them, there won't be any left without something bad happening to them, and that's only if they survive - keep on trying. I hope they will eventually absorb what you try to teach them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links