Announce you're armed?

This is a discussion on Announce you're armed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Welcome PAExplorer! I think that’s a question that we’ve all thought of when new to CCW. I'm also in the "no" camp. I've said this ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Announce you're armed?

VIP Member
    Welcome PAExplorer!

I think that’s a question that we’ve all thought of when new to CCW.

I'm also in the "no" camp. I've said this a bunch of times... the only time my weapon comes out of concealment is when the threat of serious bodily harm or death is imminent! That would also cover shouting an "I'm armed" warning.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    You can always turn around and look at them in the eye and ask if you can help them or at least acknowledge them so they are aware that you are aware that they are around. Maneuver yourself to behind them instead of them behind you.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

The only people who I tell I am armed are my adult daughter, so she knows to get behind me if trouble starts and my husband, so we can tailor our tactics to what our resources are. If I feel threatened...I put my hand on the weapon in my purse. If the threat matures...I draw. The sight of it is the only warning I give to a threat. The next step is his and so far the steps have been away.
    That weapon is your "ace in the hole". You don't give it away and give the threat a chance to rethink his tactics.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    NO! The only time someone not in your circle of trust should find out you've got a gun is if it's gone to the point that you feel the need to draw it.
    I've got my eye on you, Focker....

Sorry, couldn't resist.....And I agree with you 100%
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    --GEORGE ORWELL

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PAExplorer View Post
    Hi all, new to the site. I don't know if this has been covered before or if this is a complete no-no in the ccw world, but is there ever a time to announce to someone that you're armed? For example; if you're in a parking lot late at night and you see someone acting very suspiciously.
    State laws vary. Here in Colorado, to indicate by word or action that one is armed is "felony menacing", same crime as threatening someone by aiming your weapon.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    You want to deescalate the situation & position yourself to your advantage. If that person turns out to be armed & attempts to attack you, then saying you're armed as the roar of your gun firing temporarily deafens him, might be OK.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I don't think I would want to tip my hand. You lose your tactical advantage. He may even think you are bluffing because no typical CCW holder would yell that they were arme. Kinda like yelling i know KUNG FU

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    NO! The only time someone not in your circle of trust should find out you've got a gun is if it's gone to the point that you feel the need to draw it.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Very well put.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Some BGs can read body language pretty well when you quickly turn gunside away from them and take about three big steps back. It worked for me one night in parking lot. Never showed or touched it, never announced it, but it was enough to make him change his mind and exit stage right.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    I don't think I would want to tip my hand. You lose your tactical advantage...Kinda like yelling I know KUNG FU
    Yep ^^

If anything _if_ he/they made the mistake of inspecting me and thinking I'm a mark/weak then that action is to me a great benefit which I'd want to capitalize on, knowing to myself I'm not weak nor named 'Mark'.
    I'd not show my hand until timing for me is most advantageous and it is least beneficial for him/them, or rather when they are at their weakest by ability to 1) Realize I'm acting and 2) Do something about it now reacting to my actions as the lead. Once they are behind time to my own now leading/aggresor actions, no longer reaction, then fear and unsurety set in slowing their own reaction time and/or resulting in he/they making mistakes which then become advantageous to me and my own surviving the engagement at their expense.

A now famous example of this concept in action is the 'Hey homie' scene from the movie Collateral featuring Tom Cruise...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI1_-a0coag (Note: The audio may be NWS so check your volume)

Pretty much never does one want to tip their hand and show/state they have an ace in the hole as to do so is rarely to ones own favor FTW.
    Remember predators very much tend to prey on what they perceive to be weak and easy/quick targets. Turn the tables when it's not to their advantage and the predator becomes the prey, and they pray too.

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; June 21st, 2007 at 02:06 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

To me warning them is like saying "I'd do almost anything not to have to shoot you." probably not the message you want to give.

Plus, like others have stated, you just tipped your hand. Now the hardened criminal element who may have killed before to get their crack money takes you out first.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO one of the few times its appropriate is if someone is trying to kick in a door ect. I will then warn that i am armed before taking any violent action myself . As far as on the street goes my best guess is that they will figure it out for themselves when they see the bright light , and hear the noise .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

The distinctive sound and large muzzle blast are a good announcement.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

The question was.....

Quote Originally Posted by PAExplorer View Post
    Hi all, new to the site. I don't know if this has been covered before or if this is a complete no-no in the ccw world, but is there ever a time to announce to someone that you're armed? For example; if you're in a parking lot late at night and you see someone acting very suspiciously. Falling in behind you when there's plenty of space for them to walk somewhere else, following you around, etc... Not close enough for you to be scared for your life, but because of the situation, you think something is about to happen. Does it make sense to tell them that you're armed? Or does that give them a change to prepare better for their attack? I have yet to take any ccw defense courses (I plan to), but in the meantime, I wanted your opinions. Thanks
    "is there ever a time to announce to someone that you're armed?" I think the answer is yes. Maybe not in the example stated but let's say my home is invaded and I have gathered my family in the master bedroom with the door locked. Announcing that I am armed and calling 911 would be appropriate I believe.

If I was being shadowed by some suspicious character as in the stated example I might turn to face the person with my hand on my gun ready to draw and announce that I have a gun if it seemed appropriate. If the person was closing distance fast I might draw and announce in this instance. If I think it would defuse the situation I would do it. I think most bad guys don't want a gun fight, they want an easy victim. They would turn and run not escalate. So yes, I think there are times that announceing you have a gun are appropriate.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    "is there ever a time to announce to someone that you're armed?" I think the answer is yes. Maybe not in the example stated but let's say my home is invaded and I have gathered my family in the master bedroom with the door locked. Announcing that I am armed and calling 911 would be appropriate I believe.

Nothing like a fresh pair of eyes on things, I didn't think about that scenario, I would have to agree that in that case, I would find that to be acceptable.

Kudos to HaveGunJoe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links