Announce you're armed?

This is a discussion on Announce you're armed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Janq Yep ^^ A now famous example of this concept in action is the 'Hey homie' scene from the movie Collateral featuring ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Announce you're armed?

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Yep ^^
    A now famous example of this concept in action is the 'Hey homie' scene from the movie Collateral featuring Tom Cruise...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI1_-a0coag (Note: The audio may be NWS so check your volume)
    - Janq
    That is amazing. I am in total awe. I never really paid much attention to that movie. That...was just unbelievable. I must have watched the video a hundred times now.

Guess it's time for some more practice.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome!

IMHO, never announce anything to a potential threat. Be aware of your surroundings and if you start to feel uncomfortable due what you perceive to be suspicious circumstances, step up your condition level and start making threat assesments. Start asking questions in your head...

Where am I located?

What is the threat?

Where is the threat?

Where is the nearest cover?

Start preparing yourself to take action if needed and put yourself in an advantageous position to defend yourself if the need arises. You stated that the person may well have fallen in behind you. An attack from behind is your most vulnerable position. Change the angles and put yourself 90 degrees off the threat or try and place the threat to your front if possible. Change your direction and then see what your threat does in response. At that point, you'll have a much better idea if the threat is real or not.

If the threat turns out to be nothing, then great. Carry on. If the threat turns out to be defined, then prepare yourself. If you "percieve" the threat to be an imminent danger to your life, the threat has the means to cause death or serious personal injury, the ability to cause death or serious personal injury, and the opportunity to do so, then lethal force is justified under those conditions.

You NEVER want to give away an advantage. I've said before that the only people who should know that you carry are the people in whom you have absolute trust. Keep everyone else guessing! The last thing a possible threat wants is someone to turn the tables on them. An attacker has oporuntity on his side since he can mostly determine when the attack is going to happen. We, as law-abiding citizens, have to wait until that threat is defined enough for us to decide to use force against it. The threat almost always has the upper hand. If you are prepared to carry out an aggressive and overwhelming counterattack upon the threat, you may very well have just saved your life. The last thing the threat expects is aggressive, angry, and overwhelming force brought to bear against him. Put the threat on the defensive and make him react to you.

Your being armed is YOUR greatest advantage. Never give that up!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links