Announce you're armed?

This is a discussion on Announce you're armed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, new to the site. I don't know if this has been covered before or if this is a complete no-no in the ccw ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Announce you're armed?

Announce you're armed?

Hi all, new to the site. I don't know if this has been covered before or if this is a complete no-no in the ccw world, but is there ever a time to announce to someone that you're armed? For example; if you're in a parking lot late at night and you see someone acting very suspiciously. Falling in behind you when there's plenty of space for them to walk somewhere else, following you around, etc... Not close enough for you to be scared for your life, but because of the situation, you think something is about to happen. Does it make sense to tell them that you're armed? Or does that give them a change to prepare better for their attack? I have yet to take any ccw defense courses (I plan to), but in the meantime, I wanted your opinions. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the site.

It is not advisable to use your weapon as a threat of force, depending on your location it can be deemed as brandishing. It can also escalate a non-situation into a real situation, you could encourage a BG to take the gun from you. And it's just plain better to have the element of surprise.

One of the last things you will ever do is tell people you have a gun or pull it out of the holster. It is concealed for a reason.

But ask away with your questions, people here love answering questions.

yeah, I figured that's the type of answer I would get. I just wanted to confirm that my thinking was correct. I was told by a friend that if you can aviod a potential situation by anouncing that you have a firearm, then you should do it. I thought that would be a stupid move for the same reasons you stated. It may not be a situation at all and if it does turn into a situation, it seems to me that you'd want the element of surprise on your side. Thanks for the reply.
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Hello & welcome!

Along with 0.02, this is getting into the continuium of force. IOW, not every problem you encounter will be a nail that you need your hammer to deal with. Verbal challenge, OC spray, impact devices, a good light aimed in the eyes, all of these would both disturb your possible Bad Guy's decision loop, and help you judge how much force may be needed, depending on his reaction to the initial challenge.

No announcement of armed.
    If you have time to announce that then you have time to announce that you have just dialed 911.
    The anouncement of dialing is not a "legal threat of force" but anouncing you are armed will be construed that way.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

Quote Originally Posted by longtooth View Post
    If you have time to announce that then you have time to announce that you have just dialed 911.
    Very good point!
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

verbal warning

Quote Originally Posted by PAExplorer View Post
    For example; if you're in a parking lot late at night and you see someone acting very suspiciously. Falling in behind you when there's plenty of space for them to walk somewhere else, following you around, etc...

I would tell the person in a loud commanding voice to-
    Leave me alone!
    Go away, I don’t know you!
    Stop bothering me!
    Don’t come any closer!

...or something along those lines, once you tell someone to back off and you make an effort to get way; if they persist they are the aggressor. Announcing to someone that could have been parked right next to you that you have a gun, knife, pepper spray, stun gun, nunchkus, or a weapon of mass destruction could make you look like the bad guy

JD
    Administrator
    NO! The only time someone not in your circle of trust should find out you've got a gun is if it's gone to the point that you feel the need to draw it.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    NO! The only time someone not in your circle of trust should find out you've got a gun is if it's gone to the point that you feel the need to draw it.
    Exactly what I was thinking!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    To further JD's thought: Someone on this forum us to have a quote that read The only people who should know I have a Gun are the ones about to get shot.

Meaning don't announce and don't tell everyone that you carry. Only draw when firing your gun is a real possibility. It doesn't mean that you have to fire if you draw or that you should keep secert that you carry from your family or closest friends. Just use common sense or these days uncommon sense
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Show No Fear
    For God, Family and Country!

I'll announce that I'm armed after I shoot the BG.

Just in case the bullets didn't get the point across.

Do you tell them you're armed in that situation? No way. How do you know they're not armed, and won't just pull and start shooting in that instance?

Walk faster, and tell them to back off.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Of course you never really know what you'd do in a situation until your actually in it - but - I don't think I'd walk away - wouldn't want to turn my back on one like that.
    Face em down.
    Don't want to get shot in the back.
    For God, Family and Country!

I don't think I would say anything about being armed until other conversation has failed and I have a good sight picture.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links