Attention Ohio Residents

This is a discussion on Attention Ohio Residents within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a heads-up for all Ohio CCW permit holders. It has come to my attention that the names and addresses of Ohio CCW permit ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention Ohio Residents

Angry Attention Ohio Residents

This is a heads-up for all Ohio CCW permit holders. It has come to my attention that the names and addresses of Ohio CCW permit holders has been published on Cleveland.com.
    This was brought to my attention in two ways. One was when my cousin (also a permit holder) found the list and saw both my name and his on it. The second way was when i opened a piece of mail yesterday only to find a pamphlet from some pre-paid legal outfit with a cover letter stating they got my name and address off the Cleveland.com website.
    Just a heads up call from me. Please check to see if you are on the list and if so contact the atourney generals office.

KRobb

2. Remove Ads

Here we go! A little off topic, but CCW permits are in fact a form of gun registration, which irks me to no end. It's one thing that the "Govt" has your name on a list, but to make it public puts it in the same league as lists for registered Child Molestors, and that boils my blood even more!
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

Thumbs down

This is f****d up from the get go! Anyone interested in reading the miserable crap the people of Ohio have been dealing with, you'll find plenty of articles of interest. I'm ashamed of my home state!

http://www.cleveland.com/indepth/concealed/index.ssf
    Last edited by Bumper; April 28th, 2005 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Prospector was right, we need to ease up a bit....

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Quote Originally Posted by Deke45
    This is f****d up from the get go! Anyone interested in reading the miserable crap the people of Ohio have been dealing with, you'll find plenty of articles of interest. I'm ashamed of my home state!

http://www.cleveland.com/indepth/concealed/index.ssf
    Now now....be careful there....would suggest another asterisk in that word above....just a friendly reminder, but I know how ya feel.
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

I believe there is something terribly wrong with those who publish ccw information about anyone, it may contribute to them being hurt. CCW information can damage a person in the long term just by waving it in front of Anti American groups. Hate is pretty healthy out there they seem to hate anyone who believes in our rights as Americans.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Angry

I cannot begin to put into words the sense of disgust I feel with the State of Ohio, The Cleveland Plain Dealer, and the moronic political figureheads in Ohio that have permitted my right to privacy to be invaded and violated in such a fashion. I am infuriated! Simply put, this is just wrong! Attempted intimidation of this nature only makes me more determined to continue to support the NRA and their efforts to protect our rights as firearms owners!
    "Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice; ammo is cheap, life is expensive."

that is just so wrong. Like MCCarthyism run amok...

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

DC Founder
    I wonder if a load of those people all threatened to sue would change their minds about publishing that on a regular basis. I'm surprised the State would give them the list. That is despicable!

I couldn't leave this alone and went back to the site and found the "Contact Us" link (under "Home") and sent them my view of what they did (are doing). I would encourage each of you to do the same.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    Well, if he thinks that info should be public..... *shrugs* Anything else we can dig up on this guy might be entertaining...

In Retaliation

Douglas Clifton
    19 Shoreby Dr,
    Cleveland, OH 44108-1161
    (216) 761-6577
    dclifton@plaind.com, 216-999-4123

He's the editor. I'm assuming that's the current address. If this info is to be used in any way, please stick to the high road.

And the rest of the staff can be found listed here.
    Last edited by Betty; April 29th, 2005 at 11:02 AM.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

CCW's are PRIVATE, in my humble opinion. Will this paper also publish the names of women who've had abortions?
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
    rule." - H.L. Mencken

If you aren't familiar with the Ohio CCW problems, it's worth learning about. The Ohio legislators put a clause in there allowing the press access to the CCW info, theoretically as a research tool for crime stories. Instead, various papers have started publishing lists, like this one. It meets the criteria defining abuse of the privilege, and there is talk of a move to revoke press access to the lists. IIRC, there is at least one case of a woman being killed because her location was disclosed (allowing someone to get to her in violation of a restraint order), and a store owner shot because it was known he was carrying. The press will never accept responsibility for these murders. Lessons to learn, folks. This could happen, anywhere.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

VIP Member
    I think they did publish the names in the paper here years ago, long before I got my carry permit. It created such a stink the paper promised never to do it again. I say whoever thinks they have the right to publish that info shouldn't be surprised to have the most private of their info plastered publicly.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Tom357
    IIRC, there is at least one case of a woman being killed because her location was disclosed (allowing someone to get to her in violation of a restraint order), and a store owner shot because it was known he was carrying.
    Didn't hear about the woman, but the store owner I did. IIRC, the BG's jumped him as he was opening up his business one morning. The PD ruled it a robbery attempt gone south. There were 3 BG's; one was armed. Armed BG tried to force owner to let them in the store. The owner drew his own weapon. BG fired hit owner in the chest. Owner returned fire hitting the BG in the head, killing him. The store owner later died at the hospital. The store owner's name was recently published as a CCW holder in the local paper shortly before this incident occurred. Whether or not these two events are related, remains to be seen.
    Gun control is hitting your target.
    -- Amegatek
    Amegatek's Firearms Page

Smile

The Ohio CCW Law was a compromise at best. Keep in mind that the Ohio Governor, who when he was first running for office, promised the pro gun lobby that he would be pro CCW. After he was voted in he did a 360 on everybody. In order to get the CCW Law passed, the press access clause was inserted into the law. The Plain Dealer has been printing names of CCW License Holders for almost a year now, my name was printed back in June of 2004. This is an attempt by the Plain Dealer to intimidate people into not getting their license, and to a certain extent, it has worked. But it has also gotten people angry.
    This summer a bill is expected to be introduced in the State Congress that will remove the press access clause and will also address the horrible way a license holder is expected to carry in a car. If you want to do something, become active. Join Ohioans of Concealed Carry (OFCC). Contact your state congressman. You can bet that the newspaper lobby will be fighting any change, the press in general is anti ccw. And get you license!

I knew that this was going to happen but that sucks!
    Thankfully, my county is NOT listed!
    This is one reason (besides OH's stupid 'plain sight' car carry) why my dad won't get his OH CCW.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links