Texas Governor Vetos Gun Bill

This is a discussion on Texas Governor Vetos Gun Bill within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Perry also vetoed House Bill 1503, which had an unintended consequence that would let ex-convicts who have completed their sentences for rape, murder, robbery or ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas Governor Vetos Gun Bill

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

Perry also vetoed House Bill 1503, which had an unintended consequence that would let ex-convicts who have completed their sentences for rape, murder, robbery or other violent crimes to possess firearms immediately after being released from prison.

“I am as strong a supporter as any for the right of law-abiding citizens to own or carry a concealed weapon, but this bill goes too far,” Perry said.
    There are a lot of people that don't like Perry but on Gun Issues he is an A+ and has my vote.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Not to hijack the thread but...

It's strange isn't it that disallowing gun purchases by persons who have served their terms for previous crimes admits that the system doesn't work. The "reformed" person is still more likely to commit a violent crime than a person without a criminal record.

Prison does not fix the person - merely punishes the person. Clockwork Orange anyone?
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Well, I am one that thinks that Rick Perry needs to be booted, but then he goes and does stuff like the Castle Doctrine and this that shows how much he does support the 2nd amendment rights.

Therefore, begrudginly, I say Kudos to the Governor.
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

+1 on that. I may not agree with some of his views and policies - it runs about 50-50 most of the time as to whether I agree or not - but when it comes to guns and the 2A, he seems to know exactly where the minds of most Texas citizens (and voters) are at and goes with the majority.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Quote Originally Posted by PapaScout View Post
    Not to hijack the thread but...

It's strange isn't it that disallowing gun purchases by persons who have served their terms for previous crimes admits that the system doesn't work. The "reformed" person is still more likely to commit a violent crime than a person without a criminal record.

Prison does not fix the person - merely punishes the person. Clockwork Orange anyone?
    Prison can not reform a person never has never will. The criminal has to reform themselves. The only thing prison can do is keep some of the criminals away from the rest of us.

It is not the system does not work as it is impossible for "the system" to reform anyone.

Where the system fails is in not giving violent offenders a long enough sentence. A murderer, rapist, child molester etc should die in prison.

I speak from one who has been on the inside (working) 22+years.

What worries me is what was the senate thinking trying to pass that bill. I mean, I am not usually a politically involved person, but there are times like these where I think, "how come my representative didn't call me at my cell or email me and ask 'hey, what do think about this idea'".

Perry seems to understand the 2A quite well, can't say I agree with all his decisions, but you've got to give him credit on gun control issues. Now I need to find out if any of my state reps supported this so I can vote against them in the next election.

I'll stir up the pot.

Should ex-convicts lose their 1st amendment rights of free speech and religion?
    Should ex-convicts lose their 4th amendment rights to unreasonable search and seizure?
    Should ex-convicts lose their 5th amendment rights for incriminating themselves, and double jeopardy?
    Should ex-convicts lose their 6th & 7th amendment right to a trial by jury?
    Should ex-convicts lose their 8th amendment right to reasonable bail?

Why would the 2nd amendment be something special that only applies to "non-criminals?"

I was once taught that civil rights are there to protect criminals as much as the innocent. And if we allow the government to take away the civil rights of criminals the government will simply make us all into criminals so that we all lose all of our rights.

well if you're a convicted felon you lose your right to vote so why not lose your right to bear arms?

Quote Originally Posted by drkarrow View Post
    I'll stir up the pot.

Should ex-convicts lose their 4th amendment rights to unreasonable search and seizure?
    Should ex-convicts lose their 5th amendment rights for incriminating themselves, and double jeopardy?

Why would the 2nd amendment be something special that only applies to "non-criminals?"

I was once taught that civil rights are there to protect criminals as much as the innocent. And if we allow the government to take away the civil rights of criminals the government will simply make us all into criminals so that we all lose all of our rights.
    This is a complicated concept that I wrestle with every now and then. Supposedly, when you serve your time, you have paid your debt to society.

If that's the case, shouldn't you as a free human being have the right to defend yourself?

The other argument is that if an ex-con wants to continue to be a bad guy and use a gun in a crime, he WILL get one. So why deny the ones who want to go straight the right to carry one for self defense?

Having said that, another part of me thinks that I don't really care about whether a violent ex-con can defend himself or not. Once you prove to be a bad guy, you can't just say "sorry" and get back every one's trust.

You gotta earn it and that won't be easy.

Fun to argue about though.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by skippythenurse View Post
    What worries me is what was the senate thinking trying to pass that bill. I mean, I am not usually a politically involved person, but there are times like these where I think, "how come my representative didn't call me at my cell or email me and ask 'hey, what do think about this idea'".
    The reps can't get out...because there are no good cell phone tower areas or computer connections under rocks?

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In Answer To Your Five Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by drkarrow View Post
    I'll stir up the pot.

Yes...
    Yes...
    Yes...
    Yes...
    Yes...

OMO...other more LIBERAL views may differ...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by country85 View Post
    Prison can not reform a person never has never will. The criminal has to reform themselves. The only thing prison can do is keep some of the criminals away from the rest of us.

It is not the system does not work as it is impossible for "the system" to reform anyone.

Where the system fails is in not giving violent offenders a long enough sentence. A murderer, rapist, child molester etc should die in prison.

I speak from one who has been on the inside (working) 22+years.
    One slight change would I request...that they die before prison. At least then I'm not paying for their room and board, food, college tuition, toiletry supplies, electricity and water use, etc...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I thought the no guns for felons thing was a federal law anyway?
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    There are a lot of people that don't like Perry but on Gun Issues he is an A+ and has my vote.
    IMO, I'd supprt letting felons have their gun rights back if they served their entire terms in prison. Early release should be a lifetime disqualifier, (unless they're later exonerated) and probation and parole should be absolutely strictly enforced (no violations beyond certain class C misdemeanors or you go to prison for the remainder of the original sentence plus automatic maximum for the new violation) and then I would believe it could be a deterrent to recidivism, and should be treated as a punishment that has been completed.

Of course, there are quite a few felonies I think should be reduced to misdemeanors or stricken from the books entirely, but that's a whole other rant.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links