Hospital Carry

Hospital Carry

This is a discussion on Hospital Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I thought I learned we were not alowed to CCW in Hospitols in Ohio. I have been searching and can't find where I saw it. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Hospital Carry

Hospital Carry

I thought I learned we were not alowed to CCW in Hospitols in Ohio. I have been searching and can't find where I saw it. Can anyone confirm this for me.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

Do the hospitals have signage posted restricting weapons on the property?
    Many private hospitals do.
    Have you contacted any of them or checked their websites?

For example, Samaritan Hospital in Ashland has this to say about the subject:
    "Do not bring weapons, including knives and guns, alcohol, or other illegal substances to the hospital."

Quote Originally Posted by robbnj View Post
    Do the hospitals have signage posted restricting weapons on the property?
    Many private hospitals do.
    Have you contacted any of them or checked their websites?

For example, Samaritan Hospital in Ashland has this to say about the subject:
    "Do not bring weapons, including knives and guns, alcohol, or other illegal substances to the hospital."
    Same with my local hospitals and they have metal detectors and armed guards to back that policy up . And , they will prosecute violators as a statement of their intent .

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Once again I think those signs are just suggestions. Find out and let us know.
    Sturgis likes this.

I cant speak to Ohio law, but in Florida, some hospitals have mental health facilities, which can make the entire hospital legally off limits, even if only a portion of the hospital has a mental health wing.

Also, I went a hospital last week, and as I was walking in, they had armed guards and metal detectors, with signs saying no weapons. I turned around and locked my CCW in the car.

I pretty much ignore ALL no guns signs here anyways, but if their are armed guards and metal detectors, that's my limit.

Distinguished Member Array sdprof's Avatar
    According to info on handgunlaw.us and the state's "concise" concealed carry guide (33 pages is concise?) http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/C...o_Ohio_CCW.pdf hospitals are not a legislatively prohibited place. But if posted by the owner/operator of the facility, you are prohibited.

For the record, I hate FOL signage statutes.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 226 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Distinguished Member Array sdprof's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatime View Post
    Also, I went a hospital last week, and as I was walking in, they had armed guards and metal detectors, with signs saying no weapons. I turned around and locked my CCW in the car.

I pretty much ignore ALL no guns signs here anyways, but if their are armed guards and metal detectors, that's my limit.
    And we all know that guards at the door with metal detectors will keep up perfectly safe, right?
    </sarcasm>
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 226 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

In Ga the signs have no force of law...and to be honest, I really never remember to check for the signs...I just go in.

However, I went to an auction the other night...big handwritten "NO GUNS" poster on the door...so, I did an about-face, returned to my truck and left. I got the number off the sign in front of the auction house and called in a protest...actually got a return call from them about 2 days later, it was just to reiterate their policy...and rub it in my face. But, the joke is on them, they really needed me to stay as there were few cars in the parking lot and it was about time for the auction to begin.
    Last edited by Shootnlead; September 9th, 2016 at 02:55 PM.

If a hospital is affiliated with a university it is usually considered part of the "university campus" and therefore would be prohibited from carrying in most states.
    rstickle likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO Pistol Permit, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified
    Active Fraternal Order of Police member
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

My hospital has no policy per se, just a sign on the doors. Wa state has no force of law.

I'm at University Hospital in Cleveland. Wondering around just killing time. I found Two small signs at the front door. Nothing by doors from garage. Nothing on second floor. I wood think they would have more signs. I'm not complaining. There are probobly more around but I got my answer.

Don't forget that the sign may have no force of law in some places, but the owner's desire to not have you on the property DOES have the force of law.
    Disregarding the owner's right to not have guns on their property is just as bad as having your right to carry in a public place taken away.
    Respect is a two-way street.
    mjadams61 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherside View Post
    Once again I think those signs are just suggestions. Find out and let us know.
    Since signs have force of law in Ohio I'd say it's more than a suggestion.

R.C. 2923.126(C)(3)
    (a)
    Except as provided in division (C)(3)(b) of this section, the owner or person in
    control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the
    state, the Un
    ited States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a
    conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or
    concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises.
    Except as otherwise provided in this division, a
    person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation
    of division (A)(4) of section
    of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth
    degree. If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises
    primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty
    of criminal trespass under
    section
    of the Revised Code or under any other criminal law of this state or criminal law, ordinance,
    or resolution of a political subdivision of this state,
    and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for
    trespass based on the violation.
    Member COTEP CBOB0772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

I figured no guns was the law. I'm sure now. Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by robbnj View Post
    Don't forget that the sign may have no force of law in some places, but the owner's desire to not have you on the property DOES have the force of law.
    Disregarding the owner's right to not have guns on their property is just as bad as having your right to carry in a public place taken away.
    Respect is a two-way street.
    I understand where your coming from but the owner not liking guns is a FEELING and should not trump my constitutional RIGHT.

The first ammendment doesn't work this way so why does the second?
    strider43 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links