What to do in paradise?

This is a discussion on What to do in paradise? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Don't even THINK of taking your pistol there A few years ago a competition shooter brought his rig and didn't register it (within 48 hrs). ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do in paradise?

Don't even THINK of taking your pistol there

A few years ago a competition shooter brought his rig and didn't register it (within 48 hrs). Upon his leaving the local sheriff confiscated the pistol, from TSA, and he had a b_tch of a time getting it back. Buzzards knew shooters were coming in and the airlines has records of declared guns.

What saved his cajones was that the competition was on a long weekend-the registration dept was closed the whole time he was here. That and about $7000 for legal wrangling.

Wear a Hideawayknife instead, under 3.5"

That and Chai's Island Bistro
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

2. Remove Ads

IIRC, OC is banned from commercial airline travel - both carry on & checked. Don't want to take a chance on it getting into the ventilation system.
    Migth be able to get some once you get there...

Howard
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    SC SLED Certified CWP Instructor

VIP Member
    Son, under the circumstances you are not to come out of your room.

Quote Originally Posted by hpj3 View Post
    IIRC, OC is banned from commercial airline travel - both carry on & checked. Don't want to take a chance on it getting into the ventilation system.
    Migth be able to get some once you get there...
    According to the TSA up to 4 ounces of OC is okay as long as it's in checked baggage (unless, of course, they've change the rules since March 16).

Why do you feel the need to be armed even if you do leave the room to get some fresh air?

Don't you realize that the whole of Hawaii is under the expert care of none other than Duane the Dog the Bounty Hunter, his huge wife and all his family who he refers to as 'bras'.

It's a well known fact that all you have to do in Hawaii if in trouble is put on your Oakley MP3 sunglasses, tie a rat to your arm (or in your hair, I forget) and get fierce... really fierce, with your 'bras' wearing black fatigues and spraying OC at everyone.

Then it's a quick teary eyed drive in the Excursion off into the sunset forgiving the BG and telling him he's awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    With the lack of rainfall and year round temperate conditions in the 80s with low humidity and a breeze, that umbrella might look a bit out of place...
    Well, rather than nit pick the suggestions, why don't you offer one????

Hawaii Case Law:
    - "'Other deadly or dangerous weapon' is limited to
    instruments whose sole design and purpose is to inflict
    bodily injury or death... A 'diver's knife' is neither a
    'dangerous weapon' nor a 'dagger'. 'Deadly and dangerous
    weapon' is one designed primarily as a weapon or diverted
    from normal use and prepared for combat... Cane,
    butterfly, and kitchen knives are not deadly or dangerous
    weapons... Sheathed sword cane and wooden knuckles with
    shark's teeth were 'deadly or dangerous weapons..."
    A dive knife also takes care of carrying while swimming, snorkeling, surfing, etc.

Blue Reef 5" Dive Knife

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Lack of rainfall? The second wettest spot on earth is in Hawaii, on the island of Kauai (460 inches of rain per year)! The windward (northeast) sides of all the major islands receive a lot of rain, while the leeward sides are much drier.
    Oops. Sorry, I was there for a week and didn't see much rain at all!

Quote Originally Posted by H. Lee View Post
    Well, rather than nit pick the suggestions, why don't you offer one????
    Excuse me?

I don't think I was "nit-picking. I was offering my thoughts. On one suggestion.

Here's a suggestion. Don't go. Go to Key West instead. It's an island, it's warm, there's a sea breeze, people are real nice. Look at the honeymoon package offered by the B&B that's owned by Southernmost hotel.
    Last edited by paramedic70002; June 22nd, 2007 at 07:21 AM. Reason: More info
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Thanks everyone. I knew concealed carry wasn't an option in HI. That ASP defender looks pretty slick. Checked TSA's website and OC spray up to 4 oz is ok in checked luggage.

For those who think I will never leave the hotel room, you forget that HI has some of the best fishing in the world. Now other than that . . .

I have already been thinking about a HAK. Maybe this is the perfect excuse to get the titanium one (no rust in salt water)! But oh man, $180 is hard to swallow so we'll see.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    According to the TSA up to 4 ounces of OC is okay as long as it's in checked baggage (unless, of course, they've change the rules since March 16).
    Local airport and TSA personnel also tell me that the cannister must have some sort of safety device to prevent AD.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    If I can't carry then it ain't paradise.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    "He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    Paradise for the BG's!
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Once you land stop by the local PD and ask for one of these...

http://www.projectchildsafe.org

They will be very happy to give you one _for free_ no questions asked. In fact there might even be a box sitting in the lobby filled with them.

Now you have at your disposal a very handy and easily concealed as well as wholly legal and effective sap.
    Unlock it and hold the lock assy. inside your closed fist and you have a lightweight steel whip. Wrap the cable once around your hand with the lock assy. free and you have a bludgeon that will crack a skull thanks to the lock being hardened steel encased in hard or rubberized plastic.

If for some reason you need to discard this item you can do so non-chalantly while attracting zero suspicion and being out of pocket $0.00 US. Even better if you need to enter say a nightclub that wands patrons prior to entry all you need to do is toss/drop this on the sly into a near by bush or behind an obstacle out of view but within easy reach for recovery upon exit of the building. As well you can always lock it to something for temporary storage. If the night life establishment you plan to enter doesn't wand folk and only does pat downs then drop the lock assy. dwon your shorts along side your testes (no one ever checks there) and leave the cable to run straight down along the inside of your thigh. Go to the mens room after entering to retrieve the lock and place it more handily in your pocket of choice.

When your trip is over just toss it in the non-allowed items discard bin at the airport check in line.
    It's easy to carry on your person, will fold and roll into a small pocketable package, costs exactly zero to acquire and is easy to find anywhere there is a police presence or sporting goods shop.
    If for some odd reason any one asks why you have one on you it's simply a lock you use to secure your luggage or laptop...

- Janq

"...Everything is a weapon." - MommaJanq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links