What to do in paradise?

This is a discussion on What to do in paradise? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am planning a vacation (actually a wedding/honeymoon) in Hawaii. It appears that Hawaii will not recognize my KS CCW license or anyone else's for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do in paradise?

What to do in paradise?

I am planning a vacation (actually a wedding/honeymoon) in Hawaii. It appears that Hawaii will not recognize my KS CCW license or anyone else's for that matter. I am wondering what I can use for self defense while I'm there. Auto knives and balisongs are no-no's but I can't find if there are restrictions on length or fixed blade knives. It sounds like I may be limited to a knife/kubaton. I am also considering how I would carry when swimming or wearing just shorts and t-shirts. I was a little surprised that I could not find any previous threads about this (or maybe my searching ability needs some help). What do you think?

2. Remove Ads

Check out this thread:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ght=Cold+Steel

That's assuming you don't look silly with a cane, as a newlywed

Funny. I don't think I'm a cane guy. Plus wouldn't have a clue how to use it beyond clubbing. But I know it is effective. A 92 year old beat off an attacker with a cane here in Kansas City recently! Broke his cane but someone just gave him a new one.

I would think if you know how to use a Kubaton then that along with a good folding pocket knife like a Benchmade or CRKT would be a more than adequate defensive ensemble. Maybe some OC spray if Hawaii allows and airlines allow OC in checked baggage.

I would double check knife restrictions but most states allow folding knives under 4 inches. I would go with a 3.5 inch to be on safe side but would also verify with Hawaii's laws.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

There's a thread by QK that had a good link on knife law.......here it is....

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ight=Knife+Law

You'll want to run updates, but this should be a start. Good luck. No cane, eh? Ah.........just wait 30 years or so........

Man, the title of this thread had me thinking we were going to be discussing a 72 virgin scenario.

Good luck on the moon trip.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    A Surefire flashlight can be used as a last ditch self defense weapon. Some models come with a strike bezel crown, although I don't think that these are necessary. You will have no problem getting through security and you can take it on the plane with you.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    With the lack of rainfall and year round temperate conditions in the 80s with low humidity and a breeze, that umbrella might look a bit out of place...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I got married in Hawaii about three weeks ago. I was also disappointed to see that they do not honor any other state's CHL. I carried a Spyderco Military, the blade is 3" or better, and it wasn't a problem. Now carrying while swimming is something that I didn't do, while I was at the beach, I just kept my knife in the bag that we brought. OC spray would probably be another means of defense to consider. Have fun in Hawaii!
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Spent 6 years in HI while active duty there......I wouldn't even bring the gun. It's the most gun un-friendly state WRT carrying I've been to. +1 on EddieA.....keep a blade handy and your SA orange.
    Otherwise it'll be a great time...beach, fun, sun, new wife.
    CONGRATS!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    With the lack of rainfall and year round temperate conditions in the 80s with low humidity and a breeze, that umbrella might look a bit out of place...
    Lack of rainfall? The second wettest spot on earth is in Hawaii, on the island of Kauai (460 inches of rain per year)! The windward (northeast) sides of all the major islands receive a lot of rain, while the leeward sides are much drier.

If you're going on honeymoon, you won't leave the hotel room, trust me.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Speaking of kubatons and OC, have you heard of or considered the ASP Key Defender? It's both, wrapped up in one convenient package.

Just stay VERY drunk, you'll be home before you know it!!
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links