Florida CHL....DD form 214

This is a discussion on Florida CHL....DD form 214 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While waiting for Austin to send me my license I have asked Florida to send me an application packet. I have kids living in Tampa ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida CHL....DD form 214

Florida CHL....DD form 214

While waiting for Austin to send me my license I have asked Florida to send me an application packet. I have kids living in Tampa and I also have a brother in Ohio. The way I understand it, the Fl CHL will be recognized in Ohio. After reading the Fl website, can someone tell me whether my DD Form 214 will suffice for the certification course? If that's the case then all I need is the picture, fingerprint cards, notarized application and money.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Teacher View Post
    While waiting for Austin to send me my license I have asked Florida to send me an application packet. I have kids living in Tampa and I also have a brother in Ohio. The way I understand it, the Fl CHL will be recognized in Ohio. After reading the Fl website, can someone tell me whether my DD Form 214 will suffice for the certification course? If that's the case then all I need is the picture, fingerprint cards, notarized application and money.
    As far as the state is concerned, yes, your 214 is your proof of firearms training. And, you don't have to have any marksmanship/sharpshooter awards listed on it for it to count. That, fingerprinting, and your fee will get you the CWP.

However, I'd recommend taking a course anyway on your own, just to learn the CCW ropes. Also get a copy of Jon Gutmacher's "Florida Firearms Law" and read it and keep it handy. I'd had some security training in the Navy but the rules of engagement are somewhat different in civilian life, and there are a great many pitfalls you want to have thought through ahead of time. And as Gutmacher says, the law doesn't always mean what it says.

Thanks 'gator for the confirmation and the book reference. I will order a copy tomorrow. In Texas you have to take a 10-12 hour CHL course and range qualification so I have that out of the way already.

I'll give another strong recommendation for the above mentioned book. It dispels many myths in the light of actual law and also exposes you to several gray areas that are just looking for volunteers to be test cases, if you're interested!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Yes, your DD-214 will suffice. It did for me.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

VIP Member
    Tim, remember that you must be a Florida Resident and present proof of residency to apply for a CCW.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Tim, remember that you must be a Florida Resident and present proof of residency to apply for a CCW.
    Did they change that? At one time you could get a non resident permit.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Non resident license

Florida does not have a non-resident permit. It's identical to a resident license except it has an out of state address. You do not have to be a resident to obtain one contrary to what you may read here.

VIP Member
    I thought he was talking about getting a regular CCW! Sorry!
    Non Resident permits do not require residency proof AFAIK!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    I thought he was talking about getting a regular CCW! Sorry!
    Non Resident permits do not require residency proof AFAIK!
    and I meant to say a permit as a non resident... oh well Phantom set it straight.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Another plug for Jon Gutmacher's book. I read it cover to cover when I got my FL CWL. I also took a course for my proof even though I had previously had a CCW in VA.

If you use your DD 214 then your social security number becomes public information.

Just so you know..

Not so in FL.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Just went through FL process. They accepted my KY training certificate since KY curriculum was more stringent than FL.

Well...I got my application packet from Florida today. I have filled it out and will take it on vacation with me to Tampa tomorrow. While I am visiting the kids I can get the electronic fingerprints done, photo made, application notarized and get it in the mail. There is a good possibility I can get my Florida license before my Texas one arrives

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links