Travelling question (GA)

Travelling question (GA)

This is a discussion on Travelling question (GA) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, my birthday is this weekend and we are going to Stone Mountain, GA. and teh GA Aquarium. So I did the quick run through ...

Travelling question (GA)

Well, my birthday is this weekend and we are going to Stone Mountain, GA. and teh GA Aquarium. So I did the quick run through of Packing.org and printed off almost everything that pertains. I do have a SC CWP, but it is not honored by GA.

Problem #1......

Car/Gun law summary
    Date updated: Feb 14, 2007 @ 8:15 pm

Information below is found in Georgia Code 16-11-126(d)

No Georgia permit (but wouldn't be denied from obtaining one) or a permit from a non-reciprocal state(and not listed as one of the ineligible):
    You can transport a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle in an open manner and fully exposed to view or in the glove compartment, console, or similar compartment of the vehicle.
    Also you can also carry your firearm enclosed in a case, unloaded, and separated from its ammunition.

Guess I can work with this issue........

2nd Problem......

Stone Mountain Park (not a part of State Parks and Historic Areas)

The Stone Mountain Memorial Association is an authority created by the State of Georgia. Stone Mountain Park is owned and operated by the Stone Mountain Memorial Association. As a state created authority, it is possibly outside of the pre-emption law, OCGA 16-11-173, that by its terms applies to cities and counties. It is a civil offense to have a firearm or knife designed for offense or defense on the property, this includes the parking lot. If found the weapon will be taken and you will be fined. DeKalb County Magistrate Court handles the case.

So what do I do with my handgun at this point??? I do NOT want to leave it at the hotel, but I legally cannot carry it in my vehicle onto Stone Mountain property.

3rd issue.......

Georgia Aquarium........ What do I do with it here?
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    1. You may have a loaded firearm in your console or glovebox without a permit.

2. Do not take your firearm to Stone Mountain. You will be in big trouble if you are caught. They have their own park police and I am not sure how aggressive they may be about searching, etc. If I were you I would skip the trip to Stone Mountain all together. Getting there will take you through some rough areas if you take the Memorial Drive route. They also had a female police officer murdered a couple of years ago IIRC. Stay away. I have not been to Stone Mountain since 1997........

3. Ga. Aquarium-Park in a lot and leave it locked in the car. The last couple of times I went they used metal detector wands on me. I didn't carry in of course and it is posted off limits.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

+1 to what Doc said..

Don't try it in Stone Mt. Park or at the Ga Aquarium..

Unfortunately, we have some strange restrictions on where you can carry here in Georgia.
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

Regarding car carry, stick with the glove box or console.

If any part of the exposed weapon is covered, you will get busted for carrying concealed without a license. People have been convicted of carrying concealed because the arresting officer could see the gun in the door pocket.

Of course, one would wonder how it could be concealed if the officer could see it. But, that was the way the court ruled.

Doc, I understand what you are saying, but I am not going to avoid Stone Mountain because of it.

SO should I trust the handgun in the hotel safe? Or WHAT?
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    Doc, I understand what you are saying, but I am not going to avoid Stone Mountain because of it.

SO should I trust the handgun in the hotel safe? Or WHAT?
    That seems to be your only option.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Links