How long does it take you to...

This is a discussion on How long does it take you to... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you practice drawing from concealment? If not then you should, allot. It is good to go slow for awhile till you build muscle memory. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take you to...

How long does it take you to...

Do you practice drawing from concealment? If not then you should, allot. It is good to go slow for awhile till you build muscle memory. It's also good to use a timer after you've drawn slow a few hundred to a couple thousand times. Have you ever been timed? A decent time to shoot for would be under 2 seconds from draw to the first pull of the trigger(MAKE SURE IT'S UNLOADED BEFORE PRACTICING THIS). At least till you're ready to do it on the range with live ammo.

I will be the first to answer my own question. Per the Pact timer it takes me an avg of 1.78 seconds from an IWB holster under a cover garment to put the first two into a target at seven yards.
    Not real fast but it's what I've got.

Just food for thought.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Necessary practice that's for sure. Different cover garments also can require a different sweep to clear for the draw.

I am lucky to use OWB and that IMO makes for better speed. My best at three yards (my usual practice for speed draw) is about 1.1 secs ... which is draw - go to retention - fire one - begin to extend, fire second and then as arms extend continue.

I time tho mainly to that first retention shot and assess its placement. I usually go a shade left but am working on it. It is certainly something we must include as a major part of practice.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

yep, yep, yep... Have to practice from the draw... and from covering garments if you usuallly wear them... and who doesn't with ccw.

I have a "shot timer" on my wish list in the next year or so.... I think they are invaluable and sadly so, when I get one, I will be the only one of the shooters I know who has one.

Shot timers are especiallly useful if you are practicing alone. As it is now, I usually have my shooting partner time a few strings with second hands on a watch or stop watch. It's not the best, but it has helped me considerably as opposed to when I was using no kind of timing device.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I practice ever day if I can. But sometimes I do go a couple of days between practice sessions.

But you are 100% right, it is good to practice. If you don't, you will not perform well if the times ever does come where you need to draw quickly from concealment.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I do practice. Not as much as I like but I try and get in a good amount of time. Most of the drawing I do is from concealed. But I will throw in some OC drawing for those days I am eating in a restaurant.

Sadly, I do not have a range that I can fire from my hip at. I am working on getting that straightened out though.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Fastwaker View Post
    I do practice. Not as much as I like but I try and get in a good amount of time. Most of the drawing I do is from concealed. But I will throw in some OC drawing for those days I am eating in a restaurant.

Sadly, I do not have a range that I can fire from my hip at. I am working on getting that straightened out though.
    I hear you brother. It's tough when you don't have a place to do it live. Don't sweat it to much. Keep practicing with it empty. Sometimes dry fire it sometimes don't. No one should program themself to pull the trigger as soon as you draw. I'm not meaning that you personally do this. I just ment it as a general statement for all.

Good luck on gettin a place to practice it all together. It's nice to be able to.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Good question! I recently bought a shot timer but haven't gotten around to use it yet. That's one of things I want to time, for sure.

Mentioned already is drawing from under cover. That's what this thread is presuming, like under a shirt or jacket, etc. But since it's summer, how about you -- like me -- draw from pocket carry or perhaps ankle, etc.? What numbers are you coming up with for speed of draw-to-first-fire?

Pocket carry has special problems for me and perhaps others when drawing. Getting a good hand position on the gun when inserting hand into pocket is a first challenge. Drawing the gun without pulling the pocket holster along is the next challege. And clearing the pocket without hanging up on some part of the pocket is the following challenge. From there, for me, it is to retention, and so-on as I was taught. The final challenge is re-holstering the weapon in the pocket holster. It's just not the same animal a with a good IWB or OWB holster. Even if the mouth of the holster is designed to stay open, the pants weren't!
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

Senior Moderator
    I practice almost everyday. I do a few practice draws when I get dressed to make sure nothing snags, and everything is settled in the right spot.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Most of the indoor ranges around here (and the club I belong to) don't allow drawing from holsters or anything looking at all "tactical" :(

It's tough not living in the boonies!

Quote Originally Posted by xsquidgator View Post
    Most of the indoor ranges around here (and the club I belong to) don't allow drawing from holsters or anything looking at all "tactical" :(

It's tough not living in the boonies!
    Dry-fire practice in your house.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Protect View Post
    Dry-fire practice in your house.
    I'll add, Dry-fire practice in your house, a heck of a lot
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Moderator
    Never timed myself but I practice ALL the time, from all different positions, from different stages of ready.

Sometimes I will load my gun up with snap caps and go about my daily routine in my home. Whenever I get the urge to try drawing from whatever position I'm in, whether it be with my head buried in the refrigerator, folding laundry, or hanging up clothes, I'll do it.

One thing I discovered about my nature is that I'm LOATH to drop things. I'm trying to train myself that the laundry basket or an apple is not as important as my life. The floor can be cleaned, I can pick up the shirt I just dropped, but my concentration should be instantly on drawing and target acquisition, not split between that and what's in my hand.

Now, I'm not reckless. I don't go around throwing plates on the floor and drawing, or practicing this with company around, but it makes for very good practice anyway.

I haven't really noticed myself getting faster (you know what they say, concentrate first on doing it right, the speed will come with time) until I was shooting with my Dad in Wisconsin on his private property. I told him that I was going to draw and fire while moving toward the target and do a mag change in the process (just to warn his so I didn't freak him out).

Six rounds in one magazine, five in the other, starting at 15 yards. The whole thing was over in less than ten seconds, from the moment I drew my gun to the moment I holstered again and I was very happy with the eleven holes in the target. My fumbling was while doing the mag change. I had a different mag pouch than I'd ever practiced with before, and unknowingly (because I was looking at the target) tried to put the fresh mag in backward. It ate up a few seconds trying to discover what was wrong. So, another thing to practice more.. mag changes.

I still didn't think I was that fast but my Dad was pretty impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I am lucky to use OWB and that IMO makes for better speed. My best at three yards (my usual practice for speed draw) is about 1.1 secs ... which is draw - go to retention - fire one - begin to extend, fire second and then as arms extend continue.

I time tho mainly to that first retention shot and assess its placement. I usually go a shade left but am working on it. It is certainly something we must include as a major part of practice.
    I haven't timed myself but I think I'm uder 2 sec from concealment, 1st shot is from retention and so forth like you stated.

This brings a question though. Are you moving while doing this? Is so in which direction. I would like others thoughts. I find myself moving backwards and I hear many times you don't want to move backwards because you can't see what's behind you. Seems like my first two shots I'm moving backwards before I start moving lateral(This is at the 3yr line also). Seems like at 7yrds I don't start shooting till I start the extention but I'm moving lateral...

Any tips

Assistant Administrator
    My fast time is static ... no movement at all ....... done as an excercize in getting first shot off at fastest pace (usefully). I'll add that the time mentioned was my best!!

I am not generally as fast as many but smoothness and consistency are also important .. speed is no good without results on target.

I do implement movement drills too but have not timed these. It is mainly a case of start a rear and side combination move while drawing ...... but this follows the static practice.

I'll be honest too - some draws do not work out as well as required ....... so more practice always including the dry fire at home.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    I have learned in carrying my makarov .380 in my Smartcarry that I will not when any speed contests. About 2-3 secs, very very slow. With a snubnose it is much smoother and faster.

I like to IWB (or even better, OWB) when possible but my dress requirements at work prevent that much of the time.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links