Don't lose your gun on the roller coaster / stupid comment

This is a discussion on Don't lose your gun on the roller coaster / stupid comment within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.nbc10.com/news/13546290/d...s=phi&psp=news Off-Duty Officer's Gun Found By 16-Year-Old Girl Sources: Teen Fired Round Into Sand Dune POSTED: 3:24 pm EDT June 21, 2007 UPDATED: 8:27 pm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't lose your gun on the roller coaster / stupid comment

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Don't lose your gun on the roller coaster / stupid comment

http://www.nbc10.com/news/13546290/d...s=phi&psp=news

Off-Duty Officer's Gun Found By 16-Year-Old Girl
    Sources: Teen Fired Round Into Sand Dune

POSTED: 3:24 pm EDT June 21, 2007
    UPDATED: 8:27 pm EDT June 21, 2007

OCEAN CITY, N.J. -- Police were breathing a huge sigh of relief that a small gun lost Wednesday by an off-duty Philadelphia police officer at Gillian's Wonderland Pier in Ocean City was found, and no one got hurt.

Video: Teen Finds Officer's Gun At Ride Pier

"Flat out, we are lucky right now. It could have gone off. Yes, it could have gone off," said Detective Sgt Dennis. Jones of the Ocean City Police Department.

The gun belonged to a 15th District Philadelphia police officer. What had investigators so concerned was the size of the gun, NBC 10's Dawn Timmeney reported.

It looks like a toy and, in fact, the 16-year-old who found it on the "Sling Shot" ride said she thought it was a cap gun.

"I thought it was a toy gun, so I just didn't think anything of it," the unidentified girl told NBC 10 as she left the Ocean City police station Thursday.

She put the loaded weapon in her pocket, believing it was a toy then walked around with it, including going on at least one ride, and took it home.

Timmeney reported that the girl's mother was jogging on the boardwalk and heard news reports about the missing weapon. She mentioned it to her children, who had been on the boardwalk Wednesday night, and the daughter said she had the gun, so they went to police.

Sources told NBC 10 that the teen, after the rides and still believing it was a toy, took the gun to the beach and fired a round into a sand dune.

The gun, a North American Arms .22-caliber Magnum with a wood handle and silver barrel fits in the palm of your hand, according to police, who released a photograph of the model, as well as another with coins next to it for a size comparison.

"A little kid would have probably looked at it or started playing with it while they were on the ride, and the next thing you know it could have been another unfortunate accident that we're all standing here talking about," Jones said.

Timmeney reported that the officer who lost the weapon is a veteran Pennsylvania officer who was staying at a campground in Egg Harbor Township and was at the pier with his son.

The search for the weapon Wednesday night resulted in a closure of the amusement pier near Sixth Street for about two hours.

"It's a little scary. Yeah, especially with the kids around and somebody picking it up like that, because you don't know what's going to happen with it," said Stephen Davis of Doylestown, Pa.

The owner of Wonderland Pier, Jay Gillian, said he was glad the gun was found, but he was not happy that is was lost in a park full of kids. He said they would look into pier policies to see if there was any way to avoid something like this from happening again.

"It sort of scares me that off-duty police officers can carry guns," Gillian said. "I don't know what policies are, but we'll see what happens."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Keep in mind, this is the PDR of NJ. They don't want ANYONE to have guns, except maybe the Sopranos....
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I remember seeing a tarp stretched under one of the curves of the "Hulk" rollercoaster at the Universal Theme Park once. You'll see hats and sunglasses sitting on top of it that got thrown out of people's pockets when they did a loop-the-loop on the 'coaster.

As you say, ironic that the po-po would have a boo-boo like this in the DPRNJ. If no one has guns in NJ why do the police need them?

The owner of Wonderland Pier, Jay Gillian, said he was glad the gun was found, but he was not happy that is was lost in a park full of kids. He said they would look into pier policies to see if there was any way to avoid something like this from happening again.
    For every step forward we make it seems there is always a step back thanks to some omron who can't secure his gun. How many peoples' minds have been poisoned agaisnt CCW by this article? Thanks moron.

When I worked in an amusement park on a roller coaster we did find a loaded Taurus 9mm one day. I also for a nice collection of pocket knives. People lose all sorts of stuff one em.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

that is nutz! thanks for the post.....however.....can we say... "Your Fired!"

lol

some people.....

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    When I worked in an amusement park on a roller coaster we did find a loaded Taurus 9mm one day. I also for a nice collection of pocket knives. People lose all sorts of stuff one em.
    My bro worked at an amusement park here in VA, he said they used to find all sorts of stuff, including wallets, shoes, knives, and cameras. No guns, though, and that is odd considering VA is a shall-issue state and there must be plenty of people carrying. Maybe they just don't like scaring themselves more than they have to around here...

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    For every step forward we make it seems there is always a step back thanks to some omron who can't secure his gun. How many peoples' minds have been poisoned agaisnt CCW by this article? Thanks moron.
    x2
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Juggernaut, what amusement park in VA? Busch Gardens or Kings Dominion? I thought both of those wand-ed people at the entrances?

I don't know about wanding, I don't go to amusement parks.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

I was at Busch Gardens a year ago - no wands then.

Austin

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    This article speaks loud and clear about the need to institute GUN SAFETY EDUCATION in our schools!

What kind of idiot kid thinks that a gun made of wood and steel is a "toy" gun? What single other toy gun did that kid ever see in her life that looked or felt like that? I know it was just a little NAA .22, but still, it does not seem like a toy. I've handled them at gun shows. Again, this indicates the need for education.

I presume that a PA LEO who was carrying in NJ was doing so under the recent law that gives LEOs carry reciprocity nationwide. I don't see how this should be considered a reflection on CCW so much as on LEO training and safe practices. (And what kind of LEO carries an NAA .22 as his off-duty gun?! )

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    (And what kind of LEO carries an NAA .22 as his off-duty gun?! rolleyes )
    Maybe the same as anyone else who owns an NAA .22, myself included. It most likely wasn't his primary off duty gun but a BUG.

Cops aren't all as flawed as you would like us to believe Jeff.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Oh please. Is that what I wrote?

what i don't get is that the teen girl pocketed the "cap gun" and went out to the dunes and fired off a round. Then the next day the mom mentions the gun and she says she has it. At what point was this girl going to reveal that she found a real gun??? I mean the mystery of the authenticity of the gun would have been over right around the time the gun kicked, made a loud noise and blasted up a small cloud of sand!!! Good thing she didn't try to shoot her buddies with the "cap gun"
    Common sense needs to be taught at school because the parents of some of these kids just aren't getting it done!
    -mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Sounds like the girl that found it knew, or suspected, it was a real gun. She did go off to the secluded dunes to test fire it, after all. Even a .22 is pretty loud without ear protection, and when the bullet kicked up a cloud or sand, she must have know it was no toy. That's just a line to act innocent and stay out of trouble with Mom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links