A Mother, a Daughter and a Gun - Page 2

A Mother, a Daughter and a Gun

This is a discussion on A Mother, a Daughter and a Gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My mom is back in England, she thinks guns go off by themselves and turn anyone who holds one into a homicidal maniac. Or at ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My mom is back in England, she thinks guns go off by themselves and turn anyone who holds one into a homicidal maniac.
    Or at least she used to, she's slowly got used to her son being in America walking around wearing a 'bad' gun.
    She justifies it to herself by constantly saying that it is 'different over there', that we have guns because the BGs have them.
    I let her carry on with that misconception, I don't tell her that IMO her country is worse for crime and the citizens are defenseless.
    She's old, she'll probably pass before too long, I let her stay happy thinking she is right and I'm just different.

Wonderful as always. Have to say it is a pleasure to read your posts.

Nicely done Lima. You are a gifted writer and story teller.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Wonderful post! Glad things are coming along for you.

Ditto on writing a book.

Wish I had your wordsmithing skills.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I’m not carrying a gun just to defend against something bad. While that is a part of it, it’s a very small part. Mostly, I carry to protect something good: my beautiful life.

This is one of the most insightful reasons to carry I have ever read. You have a unique ability to express not only yourself but convey your feelings to the rest of us. While we do not share your past experiences some of your reasoning to carry and reactions of your family are similar to mine and I believe a vast majority of members on this Forum.

I think you would be a great spokesperson for the CCW community, especially on why we have taken it upon ourselves the responiblity for our own protection.

Thank You and keep writing.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Great post, I concur with the above that you need to right a book. Even this post should be published somewhere besides here. Thank you I really enjoyed it. Jim

VIP Member
    After reading your story, I was going to post ,"you should be a writer" , then I saw everyone else beat me to it. I always love reading your posts. You have a way of describing your views and experiences that really holds the reader.
    It's great that your mother has realized how important this is to you and she is accepting it. I'm sure it had someting to do with your "way with words"..

Nicely written Lima. I'll admit that I'm impressed, and I don't get impressed very often.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    Wonderful story. I'm fairly new here. From reading your post's it's obvious that you are a gifted writer, intelligent and eloquent. Keep em comming.
    I'll second that. If this lady isn't writing professionally she should be.

Excellent story. I have to add my voice to those who encourage you to write a book. Women especially would benifit from this. I admire not only your ability to put your experiences in words, but for your mindset and resolve. If my daughter were like you...I would be button poping proud. I am going to make sure my daughter reads this story.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I'll chime in as well..As has been stated numerous times, you have a definite gift for the written (and presumably spoken) word. I do try and make sure my wife reads your blog, and I do show her some of your posts here.

Any organization (whether its a 2A group or not) would be well served by having you as a spokesman.

VIP Member
    I have no idea what events in your past you're talking about, and I am sure it is none of my business. But, whatever it was, it manages to turn you into a responsible and reasonable woman that understands this world and the threats that are in it.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    Very thought provoking… thank you!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Nice post. It tells of acceptance and maybe some reconciliation. You're a very talented writer.

But now I'm thinking you probably have one of those Frances McDormand "I'm a police officer from Brainerd" accents and it just destroys my whole illusion.

Your story tells more than what is printed, should one pause to reflect on family experiences.

Great post as always. I agree with the writer bit.

My mother took a while also. Although she still thinks I need to CC into restaurants and stop looking for trouble. I tell her everyday that its Illegal for me to do so, so she just tells me to not carry all the time. In her perfect world, he son would not need a weapon to defend himself. I guess we can all dream cant we.

She also seems to think that Open Carry makes people want to challenge me. As in exactly what you are thinking. Try and fight a guy with a gun on his hip for no reason at all.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links