A Mother, a Daughter and a Gun

This is a discussion on A Mother, a Daughter and a Gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another great read Lima! I really enjoy your posts too. I will be the first in line if you ever write a book (about anything ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Mother, a Daughter and a Gun

Another great read Lima! I really enjoy your posts too. I will be the first in line if you ever write a book (about anything ). Oh, and think about a screenplay!! A brilliant, common-sense movie is just what Hollywood needs.

Nicely done

2. Remove Ads

Charming and eloquent as always, and we are continually better for it.

Limatunes, always use your powers for good.

You are in a unique position. You have tremendous insight and you express that insight very well. What makes your position especially unique is your youth and gender, your personal history, your occupation, and your passion for responsible gun ownership and concealed carry. Your voice has the potential to be heard above the din that the general public hear when the discussoin of firearms is brought to the table.I hope you give serious thought to what so many of your admirers here are saying--WRITE! About GUNS! And WOMEN! And mothers, wives, daughters, know-it-all men with bad attitudes, abuse, violence--all of it. I have to believe that even the higher profile firearms periodicals would welcome your perspective and talent. Please consider it if you aren't already.

VIP Member
    great post as always Lima, I'm glad to hear you mom is more at ease today, there are hundreds of thousands of parents across the country that feel it was their fault when a scumbag does what scumbags do,
    Kudos to you, your spirit and attitude; and if you ever do write that book you've got one sold here

...I did laugh when I read:
    she even remarked at how beautifully the grips matched the belt I was wearing
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I see Lima being president of the NRA one day, just like Marion Hammer and Sandra Froeman.

Lima.... seriously consider writing a book!

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

i think it will be a while before i will be able to tell my mom. When I was talking with her on the phone last year (when i was at school), she asked me what i had done that day. I told her that our school had a shooting range and that I had gone and spent an hour and a half shooting a .22 pistol & that this was something i have been doing for about a week now and really like. there was a dead silence for a few seconds. knowing my mom, i knew she wouldnt like the sound of me shooting pistols of all things, but when she finally managed to say 'you shoot..... pistols?' i was surprised at how difficult it was for her to get those words out of her mouth. i was even more surprised when she started to cry. not very loud or long, but im pretty sure at least one tear ran down her cheek. like many people out there, my mom did not see how guns could be used for anything but shooting wildlife and committing crimes. As time got on she pretended to be ok with it. she laughingly told my grandparents over dinner, when i was visiting, about what my new hobby was & smiled at me trying to make it ok. but i could tell she was not at all ok with it yet. this summer i actually managed to convince her to let me take her out shooting. it was outdoors and quite. no pressure. my friends and i went through all of the safety issues many times with her & she was ready to go. Her first (and every time after that) she shot into a nickel at 7 yards. Of course she didnt believe me when i told her she did awesome but thats ok. from then on she doesn't get that look in her eye when i tell her im going down to the range. Anyways, so shes getting better, but she defiantly isnt ready to hear that i (am going to) carry one on me. My next challenge is to come up with a good answer to her next question, which will pertain to the letter in the mail i should be getting sometime soon requesting my presence in front of the gun board (im rarely at home & my parents always look to see who the mail is from thats for me and such). in any case. i hope some day she will be ok with it and understand.

friesepferd... I think you are doing a good job and easing your mom into the notion.

Keep her shooting!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I also agree that you are a great writer as this is not the first story of yours ive read. I do not know what you had to overcome but i think your doing an excellant job

Count me among those that would be first in line to buy the book that is straining to get out of you. Please consider it Lima. You write better than 95% of the authors who have written books on guns and carrying. And to top it off, you are a woman, a segment of the carrying community that is all to often overlooked.

Please, write the book or at the very least, find a magazine that would like to have you as a regular columnist. Your posts are hands down the best on this site currently.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Two things...

Write a book about yourself - I'll buy it, even if its $100.

Consider a political career - you seem to be the right person to represent the good people that are still left around.

Lead Moderator
    Nice story.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

eww
    You have a way with words. Great post.

Senior Moderator
    Thank you so much for all of your kind words.

Yes, I'm planning on writing a book (in fact, I already have one written, I'm just working on editing. It's a novel, but it's a book anyway).

And yes, I'm still working on my blog. I very much enjoy writing, and hope to continue doing it for the rest of my life.

You know what the oddest thing is?

Lima is still only 22, and yet she speaks with a lifetime of experience...

I want to read what she has to say when she's turned 40.

Keep writing. Some people are naturals, you're one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You know what the oddest thing is?

Lima is still only 22, and yet she speaks with a lifetime of experience...

I want to read what she has to say when she's turned 40.

Keep writing. Some people are naturals, you're one of them.
    With the way she is able to express herself and her maturity.. it is hard to believe she is so young. I know folks much older then she who have a harder time expressing themselves then she appears to (heck, I have issues with online communication.. I've been told I don't translate well into text :shrug:).

I'd have to believe that her writing can only get better as she ages and has even more experience to call upon... just wait till she releases her book about the knuckleheads in some online gun forum.. it'll be the next Dilbert.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links